DVDVR Message Board

DC TV - 2020

J.T.

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

I'm starting on Stargirl (watching the 4th episode now) and while I dig all the hero and villain stuff, I really hope they dial it back with the high school mean girl bullshit. That stuff just makes me hit the fast forward button. 

As far as I can tell, that part of the story is really limited, and only towards Yolanda's story.  I like that it gives her her own little personal demon to overcome.

2 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

As far as I can tell, that part of the story is really limited, and only towards Yolanda's story.  I like that it gives her her own little personal demon to overcome.

ECLIPSO? 

13 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Not super familiar with the Stars and Stripes comic Courtney & Pat had for a short while, but when I was looking that a up a few weeks back the mean girl stuff made sense and seems to have some relation to that.

Caught the first three episodes of Doom Patrol S2 during the weekend and was quite pleased.

Also, Stargirl is clearly a kids show. I adore it because it's fun and sweet and I'm a huge JSA geek, but it's target audience is kids and young teens.

edit: When I figured out who the janitor is it made me so happy.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

Was good to see the mean girl stuff lead somewhere. Also nice to see at least one of the villain kids is fully aware of things. Hopefully Courtney takes the ass whipping she received as a teachable moment and gets her shit together with the team finally.

Edited by Eivion

Glad to see it renewed. Kind of surprised it won't still be on DCU. That is kind of worrying as I think its been helped out a lot by not being written in/for CW's style. The story has actually been allowed to pace itself instead of focusing on a villain of the week.

I think this spells more doom for DCU than anything else. I'd be surprised if the service is around this time next year. I really hope they don't change anything about the show with the move though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Yes. I presume she got the Star Rod from either Ted or Jack. 

They mentioned Ted created it, but they basically slammed Jack and Sylvester into one character, at least through episode six.

Forgot to mention that last week's Doom Patrol saw the Sex Men debut. I've never read Morrison's Doom Patrol, but is that the weirdest it gets? I'm rather curious as it feels like they are likely pulling quite a bit from there.

Thought tonight's Stargirl was a solid follow up to last weeks' episode. Kind of dug how Cindy fucked with Courtney for a while before revealing reality of the situation. Also liking how Courtney is slowly bonding with Pat and his kid.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Forgot to mention that last week's Doom Patrol saw the Sex Men debut. I've never read Morrison's Doom Patrol, but is that the weirdest it gets?

Have they used Danny the Street yet? 

On 7/6/2020 at 7:14 PM, odessasteps said:

Yes. I presume she got the Star Rod from either Ted or Jack. 

Spoiler

Courtney got the Cosmic Staff from Pat Dugan.  He got it from Sylvester Pemberton, who was using the name Starman when he was killed by the Injustice Society.  Dugan was Pemberton's sidekick, Stripesy, at the time.  Basically, Pemberton passed the staff to Stripesy at the time of his death, but told Dugan he wasn't the next Starman and to find a worthy successor.  It was an odd scene.  Pemberton basically insulted Stripesy while on his (Pemberton's) deathbed.  

Dugan kept the staff in a trunk until Courtney found it and the staff worked for her.  The staff appears to be at least somewhat sentient.  

The general feel of the story reminds me more of Roy Thomas' Infinity Inc. run than Robinson's Starman series, if that tells you anything.  They're not really drawing from the Thomas run, but it has a lot of nods (Rex Tyler's son becoming Hourman, female Wildcat, Sylvester Pemberon, focus on ISA, etc.) and the general tone fits 1980;s Infinity Inc and some of John's work more than it does Robinson's.

I'm only a few eps in.  Does Pat's son eventually become more tolerable?

I'd really mark out if they started using Todd McFarlane's costume designs.  Especially his horrid Hourman design.

Infinity Inc. Vol 1 21 | DC Database | Fandom

Edited by Doc Townsend

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Have they used Danny the Street yet? 

As Ace mentioned, he has been there since S1. Actually the last episode I mentioned was partially about him.

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

I'm only a few eps in.  Does Pat's son eventually become more tolerable?

He reveals slightly more likable layers as the show goes on.