DVDVR Message Board

2013 WORLD SERIES - GUARDIANS vs OUR LAST BEST HOPE

Dolfan in NYC

The Red Sox were pretty damned epic. They faced Verlander, Scherzer, Wainwright, Wacha a total of seven times. They went 6-1 in those games.  That's kind of insane.

Ya know, that's freaking huge. Big props for winning the toughest games.

So the way this played out.. I'm thinking Papi's grand slam will go right up there with Carter's blast in '93 and every other postseason home run we've seen for ages?

By virtue of not being in the World Series, it's necessarily behind Maz, Carter, Fisk, Gibson '84, Gibson '88.  Probably on the level of Ozzie's "Go crazy folks!" home run in the '85 NLCS, maybe a bit ahead because it was a grand slam.  It's "importance" will get overinflated because a Boston guy hit it and half the people telling the story in 5 years will have it happening in game 7 in the bottom of the 9th.  I'd say it's comfortably in the top 10 of postseason home runs but also comfortably behind at least 5 others.

• Like 2

Juan Uribe's gut punch is probably the third most memorable (on the negative side) for Atlanta fans. I think the game situation can end up mattering more than the series situation. For example, I can name probably half a dozen moments from the 2004 ALCS, and the only one I remember from the 2004 WS is Keith Foulke going crazy. 

So the way this played out.. I'm thinking Papi's grand slam will go right up there with Carter's blast in '93 and every other postseason home run we've seen for ages?

By virtue of not being in the World Series, it's necessarily behind Maz, Carter, Fisk, Gibson '84, Gibson '88.  Probably on the level of Ozzie's "Go crazy folks!" home run in the '85 NLCS, maybe a bit ahead because it was a grand slam.  It's "importance" will get overinflated because a Boston guy hit it and half the people telling the story in 5 years will have it happening in game 7 in the bottom of the 9th.  I'd say it's comfortably in the top 10 of postseason home runs but also comfortably behind at least 5 others

Not being in the World Series won't necessarily doom it(though it is behind all of those comfortably), as the Shot heard Round the world was a playoff and is the biggest homerun of all time. . . .

Maybe less the clip than that still photo of the Ortiz slam should become iconic.  being in fenway, with an old-timey fat Boston cop in the frame, and Hunter upside down.

That's Ken Burns stuff there (cue ragtime music and slowly scan across the photo).