DVDVR Message Board

Update

RIPPA

Let's see if I can stay connected long enough to post this.

So I chatted with support on our host server about the site basically not loading.

Our server is getting hit with a heavy load and a lot of sketchy connections (they provided me with a bunch of IPs and I secretly am kinda hoping it is one of you just having the site open on like 5824 computers).

The suggestion I received from support was to use a CDN service (specifically Cloudfare for the one of you that might care). So basically it is Chimp hammering at a computer time for me. Or I might just get pissed and start deleting shit in mySQL

I need to do more research on the CDN front (and get some information from @DEAN) so the site will probably continue to be up and down for a few days as connections come and go. Heck, that might not even solve the problem.

It isn't Dutch hacker bad but still a pain in my ass.

And as per usual - you can always look for updates on Facebook or Twitter when shit ain't working here

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

We use Cloudflare at my job for DDOS protection. I don't know much about the nuts and bolts of it but it sure does seem to work well since we've implemented it.

6 hours ago, matt925 said:

I don’t know about any of the technical details on all that, but if it came down to paying a third party to deal with it? A fundraiser? I’ll gladly chip in $20 to help the site run smoothly. Is there anything we can do about it?

Yeah, what he said.  I mean I do use this five days a week so the least I can do is help chip in something.

I'm still shocked this board doesn't have a Donators option that gives those who donate access to an exclusive part of the forum, being able to change your username/the title underneath it, etc. I don't know how many people are familiar with EWB, but that's how they do it.

Did the system for notifications change recently, is it wonky or am I and/or my chromebook crazy? Did all the notifications one receives since last logging in count as one for purposes of the number on the bell icon or were they once counted separately?

- RAF

"My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent." - Matthias of Judea

On 1/18/2020 at 1:04 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Did the system for notifications change recently, is it wonky or am I and/or my chromebook crazy? Did all the notifications one receives since last logging in count as one for purposes of the number on the bell icon or were they once counted separately?

I don't know when it changed but it changed.

It was one of those things where Facebook started doing it so other places were all WE NEED TO COPY IT TOO!!!

It's nothing I did - they just dropped it in one of the more recent updates

• Like 2

BTW - clearly the board has been a little more stable recently since running stuff through Cloudfare

You will still get that occasional timeout message - it is just coming from Cloudfare now instead of the angry board message.

Reload and 9 times out of 10 the board will load. Sometimes you might need to give it a 5 minute break.

There are still issues on the server side that the host company needs to work on instead of blaming it on everyone else.

• Like 2

No one else has said they are having the same problem so it sounds more specific to whatever computer/browser you are using.

Do you have the same problem on other machines or browsers?

It happens on two machines on the same network (at work), one of which as more lax security settings.  Just tried it at home instead and got the same results.  Can't stay logged into the site, and it started happening I want to say late last week, when the other issues popped up.  I had to post this, have the post fail, log back in, and repost twice.