DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

• Without comparing this too much to Dynamite, the other show is starting with guys already in the ring ready to start throwing bombs. This show is starting out, once again, with someone spitting generic WWE babyface stuff. Dull choice, and thankfully it was short.
  • Nice to see Shelley wresting somewhere that matters again, but it was the Grizzled Young Vets who really impressed me. I probably haven't bothered to check them out since TakeOver: Cardiff, and now I feel like I've been missing something. Lots of great little stuff from both guys. Drake selling his midsection cutting off Gibson getting whipped into the corner really amused me, as a lot of guys will do cute shit like that and then walk it off like nothing. Hope they win the whole tournament. Was Shelley a one-time deal?
  • Caught 205 Live last week and was impressed by the brief Rush-Swerve match. Glad to see them pick up where they left off, and Breeze did well to keep up. Great example of this style of wrestling, as a lot of stuff that would look outlandish with lesser execution was nailed perfectly.
  • Keith Lee looking like he's going to murder Roderick Strong was beautiful. Should be a great main event next week.
  • Fantastic battle royal. This match did a lot. All the stars look like stars. Kacy Catanzaro has a world of potential, so I'm glad to see her back in the fold and getting a couple spots to shine. Nox vs Kai gets more build. Mercedes' confrontation with Baszler was great, capping off a series of eliminations for the woman who's been on top of the division for essentially two years. Shotzi getting the rub off her felt like a big deal, even if I wish they would have given her 30 more seconds of shine against Bianca and Io instead of predictably getting eliminated while hot-dogging. Great finishing stretch for Belair and Shirai, and the final elimination looked spectacular. This division rocks. 
  • We probably get Shayna vs Shotzi before the Rumble call-up, right? If not, then Shayna popping up one more time in NXT after she's won the Rumble would be pretty great too. 
  • My big concern coming out of the main event is that I think we unfortunately know where Belair is on the pecking order and she probably stands no chance against Rhea on her second defense. It'll be a good match and they have a few weeks to convince me Bianca stands a chance, but I'd have preferred this booking later in Rhea's reign where I could at least entertain the idea of a title switch. At this point, they might as well call Belair up. She's too good to be a JTTS on NXT, and she'd immediately make the Raw or SmackDown title scenes better. 
Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 2