DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Hey, there's a show in 10 days!  It only has 3 matches!  I'm guessing some of that gets worked out tonight!

BATTLE ROYALE FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

Imperium to kick the ass of respond to the attack of Undisputed Era. 

Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Tournament First Round:

• Grizzled Young Veterans vs. The Time Splitters (Kushida/Shelley)
  • The BROserweights (Riddle/Dunne) vs. Flash Morgan Webster/Mark Andrews

BROserweights vs. Webster/Andrews was fantastic and easily up there with the best of Takeover Blackpool II's best matches. Even with the teams still left in the tournament being as good as they are I have my doubts anything else will compare.

Grizzled Young Vets vs. Time Splitters was good and a little surprising with the Vets actually winning. Loved the Vets walking away from the handshake and Gibson getting time to talk shit. The audience may not have known how they felt about hem coming in, but they hated the two by the time they left.

The triple threat was good fun. Glad Swerve won. Dug Garza on commentary.

The battle royal was solid. Plenty of neat little moments. Dug Shotzi getting the chance to shine with who she tossed out and the finale between Io and Bianca was good. Looking forward to Bianca vs. Rhea.

Let me say upfront I really really like the Grizzled Young Vets, and think they are fantastic.

Okay... How fucking dare you bring in the Time Splitters just to job them in the first fucking round you fucking fucks?!?

/Absurd profanity mode

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Let me say upfront I really really like the Grizzled Young Vets, and think they are fantastic.

Okay... How fucking dare you bring in the Time Splitters just to job them in the first fucking round you fucking fucks?!?

/Absurd profanity mode

I don't disagree. The problem is Grizzled Young Vets probably aren't a team that should be jobbing in the first round either with the build they got last year as a top team and Gibson being one of the top heels in the UK. I assume Time Splitters will be doing more later.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Wasn't thrilled with the Splitters getting booked to lose, but the right team went over and it was a really good match. 

I agree with Eivion.  The GYV's aren't the team to be bounced in the first round.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Both tournament matches were so good. I don’t have an issue with the Time Splitters losing, the GYV promo after got that over as an angle and themselves at the same time. Broserweights are a good team but I hope this is just so they can lose and feud because that’s the match I want. Three way and battle royal were also really good. Bianca is a good first challenger and it should be a great match but I kind of wish she wasn’t (presumably) losing to Rhea so quickly.

Keith Lee is the star on the men’s side right now and it’s kind of silly he’s gunning for the secondary title, although it would be tremendous if he took all the titles from UE. Burning a faction to get one guy over might be short sighted but honestly I don’t care, strike while the iron’s hot.

Great night of wrestling all around!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Keith bulldozing one of the UE guys over a hedge had me howling. 

I rewound it, and I’m pretty sure that was actually a security guy. 

As much as I flack as AEW gets for the amount of time their women’s division gets, WWE’s may be relatively worse because their roster is so huge. They really need a women’s show on the Network.

• Like 2

Great match in Dunne/Riddle vs. Webster/Andrews. Needed that pick up as I started with a stomach bug yesterday. 

Cool seeing Alex Shelley make his WWE debut via the Time Splitters reuniting. Shame the team lost though I see the case for Grizzled Young Vets getting the nod. I'd still have gone with the Time Splitters.

Really loved the show.  The tag matches were fantastic stuff and the battle royal ended up being pretty damn good.  No matter what show you watch first the fans win.

Now if only there was a way to get more people to watch both shows so the ratings for NXT weren't as bad.  They have a great thing going and deserve more love in the ratings.  I would love to see how the DVR numbers are as it almost seems like more people catch this on DVR.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Really loved the show.  The tag matches were fantastic stuff and the battle royal ended up being pretty damn good.  No matter what show you watch first the fans win.

Now if only there was a way to get more people to watch both shows so the ratings for NXT weren't as bad.  They have a great thing going and deserve more love in the ratings.  I would love to see how the DVR numbers are as it almost seems like more people catch this on DVR.

AEW has the built-in support of people who want a WWE alternative. Since the USA debut, NXT has essentially been a show with "good" matches (This is subjective - I have hated nearly all of them). Storyline-wise, there's nothing there. They've come close to a breakthrough - Keith Lee challenging for the NXT title and not the worthless NA title was the move - instead it's boring stale Ciampa going against boring stale Cole. If WWE wants people to actually choose NXT over AEW, they're going to have to try harder than to just throw out similar people to have similar matches. The transition of NXT from developmental to super-indie has drained it of all of its fun IMO. Where are all the gimmicks? Everyone is a Talented Indie Wrestler - even Breeze has dropped everything that was ever visually interesting about him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

AEW has the built-in support of people who want a WWE alternative. Since the USA debut, NXT has essentially been a show with "good" matches (This is subjective - I have hated nearly all of them). Storyline-wise, there's nothing there. They've come close to a breakthrough - Keith Lee challenging for the NXT title and not the worthless NA title was the move - instead it's boring stale Ciampa going against boring stale Cole. If WWE wants people to actually choose NXT over AEW, they're going to have to try harder than to just throw out similar people to have similar matches. The transition of NXT from developmental to super-indie has drained it of all of its fun IMO. Where are all the gimmicks? Everyone is a Talented Indie Wrestler - even Breeze has dropped everything that was ever visually interesting about him.

That is a very fair assessment though I've grown accustomed over time to the idea that in NXT the people themselves are interesting enough personalities.  And for folks like Riddle I get who he is and that's more than enough for me.

Not to harp on Raw or SD but with NXT I don't trust WWE to establish gimmicks that won't suck.  Chad Gable didn't need much if any of a gimmick yet on SD he's saddled with some goofy "Shorty G" gimmick.  Or how about Baron Corbin who was really interesting in NXT as Mr. Anti-Indy (the lone wolf vibe before that was neat too)?  Bring him to Raw and he's a constable and on SD he's a king.  It just doesn't feel right and unless proven wrong I'll be sad if they do that with NXT.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Not to harp on Raw or SD but with NXT I don't trust WWE to establish gimmicks that won't suck.  Chad Gable didn't need much if any of a gimmick yet on SD he's saddled with some goofy "Shorty G" gimmick.  Or how about Baron Corbin who was really interesting in NXT as Mr. Anti-Indy (the lone wolf vibe before that was neat too)?  Bring him to Raw and he's a constable and on SD he's a king.  It just doesn't feel right and unless proven wrong I'll be sad if they do that with NXT.

Oh, when I say "give people gimmicks" I'm certainly not advocating anything like Shorty G (that gimmick was essentially what made me stop watching RAW and SD week-to-week). I just mean there's a lack of unique character to most of these wrestlers they've thrown out in the last year or two. Why is Damian Priest different from Dominik Dijakovic and why are they both different from Killian Dain? What the fuck is an "Archer of Infamy" and why do they keep saying it? What makes Cameron Grimes different from Austin Theory and why are they both different from Isaiah "Swerve" Scott? What sets Chelsea Green apart from Deonna Purrazzo and Santana Garrett? What do we know about the characters of Bronson Reed, Lio Rush, Angel Garza, Kayden Carter, Dexter Loomis, Shotzi Blackheart, Joaquin Wilde, and KUSHIDA? They can send all these people out trolling for chants and have them do poison ranas and Spanish Flys until they are crippled, but it isn't going to make me care when I can't tell any of them apart. AEW has the same problems with match layouts, but I can at least differentiate the wrestlers from one another (well, except all the damn mall-goth characters.)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Oh, when I say "give people gimmicks" I'm certainly not advocating anything like Shorty G (that gimmick was essentially what made me stop watching RAW and SD week-to-week). I just mean there's a lack of unique character to most of these wrestlers they've thrown out in the last year or two. Why is Damian Priest different from Dominik Dijakovic and why are they both different from Killian Dain? What the fuck is an "Archer of Infamy" and why do they keep saying it? What makes Cameron Grimes different from Austin Theory and why are they both different from Isaiah "Swerve" Scott? What sets Chelsea Green apart from Deonna Purrazzo and Santana Garrett? What do we know about the characters of Bronson Reed, Lio Rush, Angel Garza, Kayden Carter, Dexter Loomis, Shotzi Blackheart, Joaquin Wilde, and KUSHIDA? They can send all these people out trolling for chants and have them do poison ranas and Spanish Flys until they are crippled, but it isn't going to make me care when I can't tell any of them apart. AEW has the same problems with match layouts, but I can at least differentiate the wrestlers from one another (well, except all the damn mall-goth characters.)

I was honestly going to try and list various characteristics for some of the names but in attempting to do so realized you're right about all this.

But this is part of the "Super Indy" aspect of NXT that will ultimately hurt them.  These folks and others do have unique characteristics that would make some of them stand out.  But it was much easier to see that in the relative small ponds that were the indy companies they were in.  For example Damien stood out in ROH as a tall dude with a neat enough gimmick but he could fly.  At the time it was only him and Dominik there but I don't recall much if any interaction between them.  And their styles then weren't that similar to each other.  But in NXT he's now one of a few big guys who can fly and it all blends together.

But there is a chance to remedy that if they know what they're doing.  Lio and Angel have similar styles but it's not hard to have more of a character-based match in the future.  Have Lio be him and have Angel be more of a cocky heel to fit with his character.  Or in the case of let's say Bronson vs. KUSHIDA (which I would like to see) you can have Bronson lean in on the big guy aspect with KUSHIDA focusing on ways to take out his arm.  Done right throughout the show it can work but it'll take time.  And in doing that if they wanted to have that "empty the tank" type match then saving it for Takeover will make those stand out more.

Or if you prefer the short answer which I wouldn't blame you for I believe Michaels is the one putting together at least the big matches.  So while I'm sure he has a wealth of knowledge to offer that could be enough reason to figure out why things are the way they are.

Edited by NikoBaltimore