DVDVR Message Board

AEW Bash at the Beach - Coral Gables, FL - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Incoming hyperbole...

If AEW signed Tessa and somehow managed to sign Charlotte does that instantly become one of the biggest women's matches ever?

Or conversely, if Tessa went to WWE, same question.

Yeah, I was about to say WWE is willling to overpay to make sure it doesn't happen anywhere but there. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I know it's a new thing in wrestling to not give boatloads of money and opportunity to troublemakers and (potential) racists, but, hey - let's give it a try. There's plenty of talent out there that aren't signed anywhere that you don't have to fall back onto someone like Tessa just because fans don't see your women's division on the same level as other promotions.

I think folks are forgetting Hager's on the roster.  You get to be an asshole if you're Cody's friend.

(and yeah, if I could fire one guy from AEW it would be Hager, at least Havoc provides some value)

I don't want Tessa anywhere near AEW.  I'd be down with Taya though, who is just as good.

Edited by alstein

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Incoming hyperbole...

If AEW signed Tessa and somehow managed to sign Charlotte does that instantly become one of the biggest women's matches ever?

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

In the US, probably. Dont know if it would top some of the 80s/90s Japanese big matches. 

Not even by US standards let alone Japanese where you have things like the Chigusa/Dump feud or Hokuto/Kandori at Dreamslam. Tessa for one doesn't have that much value as a name quite yet. Beyond that Becky is a bigger star than Charlotte so logically Tessa/Becky would be a bigger match. Same if Tessa/Rousey were to happen. I'm one of the biggest Charlotte fans on the board, but she is no. 3 in  WWE stardom for women. And with the way they use her and book the division in general that means she drops down harder than she should after Rousey/Becky due to shit booking.

Edited by Eivion

5 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Going to need you to show your work on this one. 

Havoc does some of the office stuff, and I think the social media.   Hager is a crap wrestler, crap personality, and is a potential landmine with the fanbase.  He's actual negative value.  Even if you think Havoc is zero value wrestling he's better.

Edited by alstein

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

Incoming hyperbole...

No to both. 

5 hours ago, alstein said:

Havoc does some of the office stuff, and I think the social media.   Hager is a crap wrestler, crap personality, and is a potential landmine with the fanbase.  He's actual negative value.  Even if you think Havoc is zero value wrestling he's better.

Disagree. AEW is very shallow when it comes to big men. Billy Gunn had to play the monster role in their battle royale, for instance. 

Plus, he’s a legitimate and accomplished athlete which lends credibility to their product. Especially, in light of their previous claim of wanting to present a sports based approach. You kind of need athletes or more guys that at least look athletic for that.

Also, I’ve found him pretty amusing with his role. The pirate thing really made me laugh last week. He was good in the documentary and the Dustin beat down.

12 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

the WOW bit makes me sad, cause I thought Tessa's run there was absolutely perfect and really added to her legacy and her 'wrestler of the year' case. She came in as the biggest star, won the title, defended against a bunch of talents along the way in legit awesome matches, elevating a lot of them in the process, and then put over the rising star in the end in another really great match/moment. Just a perfectly executed story all the way through. I thought it was some of her finest in-ring work and killing it on the mic too. I had thought when talks of her contract came up before, it was said that working WOW was one reason for her to stick with Impact but maybe not.

Personally, I would take everything with a grain of salt. We’re not getting the context or whole story in these.

For instance, did she just randomly belittle a trainer for her own amusement, or maybe was the trainer explaining something incorrectly that could have led to someone getting hurt which caused her to react angrily?

If this even happens that seems like a more plausible explanation of the event which changes things, at least in my opinion.

• Like 1

I still haven't seen this show because I missed it live, and TNT hasn't uploaded it to the on-demand section on Sling.

This is just me bitching about Sling being shit. 

On 1/19/2020 at 3:21 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is a patently ridiculous thing to say. Calling attention to dipshit fan behavior isn't out of bounds because it's AEW. Want to see weak posts that barely meet the threshold of being criticism? Go check out some old Raw threads where a certain someone would only chime in to remark on how glad they were to be watching Seinfeld or the Yankees game, offering no comment regarding the actual show (fuck am I glad that behaviour has mostly stopped). I've seen talk in the NWA thread about their shitty fans trying to get themselves over because it's a small room, and it's not admonished as weak criticism there. AEW is the only sacred cow where bringing something like this up is coloured as undue. You're talking nonsense.

Rather, criticism generates more discussion than praise. There's only so much that can be said about Darby Allin when we're almost unanimously crediting him on another great performance. 

Easy tiger!  ‘Patently ridiculous’. Put away your thesaurus Badboy.  Ha, great example of overpraise that just will not stop!  I don’t contribute to wwe threads so I’m unfamiliar with your example there, but sounds like it’s really got your goat.  Critiques of fan reaction in this case was ‘patently ridiculous’.

Nobody is suggesting aew is above criticism.  Just above patently ridiculous criticism.  

13 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Easy tiger!  ‘Patently ridiculous’. Put away your thesaurus Badboy.  

I didn't realize either of those had become five-dollar words. But that's inflation for ya. 

Happy to see this thread has moved onto the weekly ritual of stunt-casting our dream woman's division and merged that with the Tessa drama. 

Re: Havoc possibly handling their social media, it's an interesting choice and one I actually approve of. Remember that story of him at Jimmy's Seafood hitting the bottle and making poor choices? Combine that kind of personality, a slow-burning discontent over barely being used on camera, and access to the company Twitter and... Well, I'll be praying to the Drama God for something tasty.

Eh he's probably going to lead the Dark Order now anyway.

Because it's the worst choice.

If I think something is the worst choice it almost always happens in AEW.

I can predict most match outcomes by picking who I'd want to win least.

EDIT:  Actually, either Librarian as The Exalted One is much worse

Edited by Tromatagon

16 hours ago, alstein said:

Brandi would be the worst choice, they merge the Nightmare Collective and Dark Order into a Voltron of Bathroom Break.

Christ, all the AEW stables really do sound like ICP album titles. 

The Dark Order, The Nightmare Collective; The Inner Circle, The Librarians. Even Jurassic Express sounds like a dumb ICP album track.

Maybe Tony Khan is a huge juggalo.

Edited by Ultimo Necro
  • Haha 3