DVDVR Message Board

AEW Bash at the Beach - Coral Gables, FL - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Brandi as anything but a valet kinda sucks. The more I think about that women's tag the more I think it was one of the worst matches from a major promotion in awhile.

The men's division is fine. Throw all the money at every talented woman that becomes available. Tenile, Kairi, Io, Charlotte, hell, even Tessa with her baggage. If you're going to spend money in FA, that's where it would be spent.

• Like 1

I get what they wanted to do, build their own stars up and create something from scratch. The talent isn't there from what I'm seeing. Shida, yeah, Riho, yeah. Statlander in time for sure, but she's still really green. Everybody else looks like supporting players at best.

If only nice people were pushed who would be left in the wrestling world? Particularly back in the day before it was fans that became wrestlers.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

I know it's a new thing in wrestling to not give boatloads of money and opportunity to troublemakers and (potential) racists, but, hey - let's give it a try. There's plenty of talent out there that aren't signed anywhere that you don't have to fall back onto someone like Tessa just because fans don't see your women's division on the same level as other promotions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the fence about whether or not it's a good idea to sign Tessa, but I'd at least try to make a deal with her incentive laden for positive behavior with numerous out clauses.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

I know it's a new thing in wrestling to not give boatloads of money and opportunity to troublemakers and (potential) racists, but, hey - let's give it a try. There's plenty of talent out there that aren't signed anywhere that you don't have to fall back onto someone like Tessa just because fans don't see your women's division on the same level as other promotions.

Better idea: Hire people who will improve your product, sell tickets and draw money regardless if they aren't candidates for sainthood. I mean do you realize how many people in all forms of entertainment are so awful they make Tess look like Ghandi in comparison?

And before someone replies asking would you hire a rapist or murderer: that is different because those are actual horrible crimes, wheras there are no laws against being a shitty person. And also: if you are such a shitty person that you would hurt business then you shouldn't be hired (and you can argue Tess in AEW and that audience would be that). 

Edited by sabremike

5 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is a patently ridiculous thing to say. Calling attention to dipshit fan behavior isn't out of bounds because it's AEW. Want to see weak posts that barely meet the threshold of being criticism? Go check out some old Raw threads where a certain someone would only chime in to remark on how glad they were to be watching Seinfeld or the Yankees game, offering no comment regarding the actual show (fuck am I glad that behaviour has mostly stopped). I've seen talk in the NWA thread about their shitty fans trying to get themselves over because it's a small room, and it's not admonished as weak criticism there. AEW is the only sacred cow where bringing something like this up is coloured as undue. You're talking nonsense.

Rather, criticism generates more discussion than praise. There's only so much that can be said about Darby Allin when we're almost unanimously crediting him on another great performance. 

Why the fuck am I getting dragged into this when I went out of my way to stay quiet despite pretty much agreeing with everything @Craig H said? Go back and check out older Raw threads where I vented my frustrations with a company mishandling some of the best talent in the world and being angry at myself for constantly giving WWE another chance. Thank god I stopped that addict behavior. If you want to sit through WWE shows, be my guest. Until I start directly shitting on board members, leave me out of this. I'll watch AEW, react, and enjoy it how I want. You watch what you want and process it how you want. This board was fun before it got so god damn uptight.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Why the fuck am I getting dragged into this when I went out of my way to stay quiet despite pretty much agreeing with everything @Craig Hsaid? 

Because it sprang to mind and was an easy way to illustrate my point. Happy you stopped watching a show you weren’t enjoying though. Wish more people had your good sense. 

26 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Better idea: Hire people who will improve your product, sell tickets and draw money regardless if they aren't candidates for sainthood. I mean do you realize how many people in all forms of entertainment are so awful they make Tess look like Ghandi in comparison?

And before someone replies asking would you hire a rapist or murderer: that is different because those are actual horrible crimes, wheras there are no laws against being a shitty person. And also: if you are such a shitty person that you would hurt business then you shouldn't be hired (and you can argue Tess in AEW and that audience would be that). 

So you want the same company that bans fans from attending future live events if they're racist, sexist or transphobic to not apply the same standard to their talent? I see that going down super well.

Why do you have to go and blow up my argument! Damn you. I forgot all about Hager. Yeah, you got a point there.

Look, I'm just not convinced hiring Tessa is the best idea. There's plenty of talented women out there. I don't think Tessa is going to move the needle one way or another moreso than a Tenille Dashwood or something. Also I'm just not generally high on her in-ring, but that's a separate conversation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

So you want the same company that bans fans from attending future live events if they're racist, sexist or transphobic to not apply the same standard to their talent? I see that going down super well.

Please read the last part of what I posted.

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Why do you have to go and blow up my argument! Damn you. I forgot all about Hager. Yeah, you got a point there.

Look, I'm just not convinced hiring Tessa is the best idea. There's plenty of talented women out there. I don't think Tessa is going to move the needle one way or another moreso than a Tenille Dashwood or something. Also I'm just not generally high on her in-ring, but that's a separate conversation.

I don't think you're way off. Hager just chooses to share his views on his own time and platform, whereas fans are using the AEW show to spread their hatred. Subtle difference. I don't think they sign her after this and while it would be a little gross, I am waaaay higher on her work than you are and you're way higher on Swole and other members of the roster than I am. I feel like Tessa is probably the second best non-Japanese woman to ever wrestle behind prime Awesome Kong and would immediately make the division worthwhile on her own. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

I feel like Tessa is probably the second best non-Japanese woman to ever wrestle behind prime Awesome Kong

Goddamn, really? I haven't seen THAT many Tessa matches, so maybe I'm wrong. I'm open to my mind being changed, though. I mean, Mercedes Martinez is right there, but all of this is just a matter of opinion anyway. But still... you've got me curious, definitely.

Martinez is a good shout too, but I think that highly of Tessa and I barely ever watch Impact. Her presence alone is something I haven't seen in a North American woman. Madison Eagles is up there too. I tried to get into Shimmer but the fanbase is too much for me to be fully invested. Same thing with Stardom too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really disappointed in AEW not signing Mercedes Martinez, thus letting her get away to the 'E. Madison Eagles is definitely a great call as someone AEW should look into. I also think highly of Tessa's work and would eventually like to see her in AEW, despite the kind of person she may be.

I'd like to see more of Shanna rather than her fighting backstage with Nyla Rose.

If the Nightmare Collective is taking up that much of Brandi's time that she can't put that attention on the rest of the women's division, then the answer is drop the Nightmare Collective. That angle is the worst thing AEW has going on. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

Eagles runs PWA in Australia, so it'd be like a situation similar to Emi Sakura where her priority is Gatoh Move.

Mercedes wasn't a case of them letting her slip through their fingers, apparently. She wanted to work for WWE, and they made an offer finally.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Tessa is a phenomenal talent.

Which pretty much tells you all you need to know about what being around her must be like since she's been marooned in Impact and WOW.

Speaking of Tessa in WOW, Fightful posted this a few days ago:

Tessa Blanchard would have it out with WOW trainers, telling one that she shouldn't be teaching and didn't belong there and she's not good enough to be in the position. The trainer was said to have cried in front of the group, and when someone tried to reach out to Blanchard about it, she wasn't interested in talking about it and really just didn't show interest in WOW at all.

There was also a confrontation between Tessa and another top name in WOW, after weeks of tension that escalated into a verbal battle in front of others as well. It wasn't revealed who was at fault in that particular situation. There was another fairly public shouting match between Tessa Blanchard and Malia Hosaka, which led to Malia being the only person getting reprimanded, which some members of the roster saw as unfair. This also lead Alisha Edwards and Hosaka getting into a physical fight.

• Sad 1

Incoming hyperbole...

If AEW signed Tessa and somehow managed to sign Charlotte does that instantly become one of the biggest women's matches ever?

Or conversely, if Tessa went to WWE, same question.

Edited by Craig H
  • Haha 1

the WOW bit makes me sad, cause I thought Tessa's run there was absolutely perfect and really added to her legacy and her 'wrestler of the year' case. She came in as the biggest star, won the title, defended against a bunch of talents along the way in legit awesome matches, elevating a lot of them in the process, and then put over the rising star in the end in another really great match/moment. Just a perfectly executed story all the way through. I thought it was some of her finest in-ring work and killing it on the mic too. I had thought when talks of her contract came up before, it was said that working WOW was one reason for her to stick with Impact but maybe not.

Edited by DreamBroken