DVDVR Message Board

AEW Bash at the Beach - Coral Gables, FL - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Fabulous show!  And for all the reasons expressed by so many.  

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

.As Casey said, the people downplaying Chuck Taylor can piss off.  He fucking brought it in that tag.

I'm looking forward to Janela/Fenix next week.

The Blade looks like the version of Ole Anderson you'd see in one of those Legends of Wrestling PS2 games

That great, quick promo by Moxley at the end really shows off the difference between this and WWE.  Quick, unscripted fired up promo where the guy is allowed to say "title shot" vs verbose, lifeless scripted to hell and back diatribe where the guy says "championship opportunity."

Bad:

Shida seemed off in that tag match.  I'll chalk it up to one opponent being, as someone else said, maybe a little nervous about the big stage, and the other opponent being Brandi.

I love Shida, but she’s inconsistent and has no one to blame but herself.  I trust she’ll bounce back. I’m surprised not to see any mention of Statlander’s horrible apron kick in which she missed by a mile and slapped her leg.  Horrible.  She’s good but she’s also green.

Janela-Fenix might indeed be a ton of fun.  Good promo by young Joey.  I really wish he’d get more of a trad hardcore uniform - no reason to flaunt that physique. 

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Chucky T is the shit and I won't allow any besmirching of his good name. 

Are you sure you didn’t post an amusing diss of Chuck T @West Newbury Bad Boy?  Something about his past accomplishments not accounting for his current status?  Seemed deserved then.  I like Taylor but his work has been often sloppy and lazy throughout most of this aew run.  That said, he looked terrific in that 4 way.  The best he’s looked.  Taylor and the  besties need to work it like that all the time.  Orange Cassidy as expected from the beginning is a big bright shining star on point and ready to explode into a money drawing machine.  But slow and steady wins the race. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

8 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Are you sure you didn’t post an amusing diss of Chuck T @West Newbury Bad Boy?  Something about his past accomplishments not accounting for his current status?

It could have been me, but I have no memory of it. Chuck evokes no strong feelings in me, so I'd like to think any dig I might have made would have been pretty soft. 

Of course now that I've said this, I'm sure someone's gonna find a post where I go on a deranged multi-paragraph tirade and accuse him of sleeping his way to the top middle. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

12 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Orange Cassidy as expected from the beginning is a big bright shining star on point and ready to explode into a money drawing machine.  But slow and steady wins the race. 

I love the OC shtick, but I don't see how it ever draws as a top-line act. At some point, to be that kind of act, he's going to have to go in the ring for extended lengths of time, and I just don't see how you can structure a long match around OC's gimmick as is. And once he breaks that gimmick to show he *can* go in those longer matches, I don't think you can get the mystique back that he has now. It's gonna be a tough balancing act.

41 minutes ago, James F'n X said:

I love the OC shtick, but I don't see how it ever draws as a top-line act. At some point, to be that kind of act, he's going to have to go in the ring for extended lengths of time, and I just don't see how you can structure a long match around OC's gimmick as is. And once he breaks that gimmick to show he *can* go in those longer matches, I don't think you can get the mystique back that he has now. It's gonna be a tough balancing act.

All I want to see is a OC vs Darby feud. 

Misc thoughts from the show:

- The whole show just felt so much better than last week. Apart from the women’s match the pacing of everything was excellent from top to bottom. Loved the retro Miami Vice like theme to the event.

- Loved the opening tag, watched it twice. Perfect spot fest and the slow build up to whatever is gonna happen with Page (AKA Anxious Millennial Cowboy) has been done so we'll in the ring with Kenny and the Bucks and in his little backstage drunken rants with other teams. Page has been doing some great stuff in this role. “I'll whoop your asses"

- Nightmare Collective keeps easily being the worst part of the show. I hope them losing clean means they might try fading them out if they really "listen to their fans", which to be fair they did with Brit.

- Guevara looked great against Moxley. I think the future looks bright with the very young potential stars they have in their hands with Sammy, Darby, Jungle Jack and MJF.

- DDP looked good, I'm happy he wrestled in his gear, I'm always disappointed when legends come back and wrestle in shirts and shorts.

- Pac vs. Darby was so so good, both good brought it and Pac's brutality perfectly complemented Darby cat like moves. Just great wrestling. That powerbomb on the steps was sick. "Right in the popcorn!"

13 hours ago, James F'n X said:

While one shouldn't have to "do homework" to get somebody I will say that Youtube has some gems that show he can go and still maintain his mystique.  It's been mentioned before but his match against David Starr was a really wonderful balance that showed he doesn't give a shit until he absolutely has to.  So while it might not get to that level in AEW (and maybe it shouldn't anyway) if it comes to it I think he'll be just fine.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

In the spirit of taking this down a notch, I'll take this discussion off of Britt specifically. 

While Britt is a glaring example of this, I think there's an AEW-wide phenomena of aggressively pushing into the spotlight younger stars who can clearly use a bit more seasoning. It's part of attempting to make stars. Not all of them are going to be ready and not everyone is going to hit. But from MJF right down to Britt Baker and Private Party and Jungle Boy, this company has put the spotlight on a lot of people who lack that seasoning. And in the name of building stars, it can be said that the practice has its virtues. Personally, it's refreshing to see a major company that actually wants to (and has to by necessity) build new stars. There are real opportunities here rather than imaginary brass rings and endless logjams in the system. I think a lot of this audience is craving this approach vs parking guys in a warehouse for years and never letting a guy like Andrade break out of the undercard. 

It's a work in progress and it's noticeable all over the card. 

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, I guess I passed that test.  ?  Though with her impending heel turn it's not the worst option in the world, at least not anymore.

She's never worked heel before maybe she can pull it off.  I don't see them bringing in Tessa at this point. I like Riho but don't know how crazy her schedule is. The champion doesn't need to be there every week but should defend it at least once a month and be at 2 of the 4 monthly shows to build angles. There just isn't really anyone in AEW I could see as being the face of the women's division longterm at this point. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

We need Shooter as cannon fodder. Isn't he already on excursion? 

I was just thinking about this the other day when the IC was beating down Mox saying he has no friends. If Umino came out, it would've been awesome - but the true question is how many even hardcore fans would know who he is. You really have to follow NJPW to not just know him, but also know the relationship with Moxley.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I think they set that up perfectly, explaining how Moxley has no friends, and doesn't even change in the dressing room but rather his car, etc. Toss in how he's beaten up damn near everybody, including sneak attacks and cheap shots and turning on partners... Who the fuck is gonna save him?

I do think it would elevate the Jurassic Express guys to have them come out to try to save Mox next time. Like when Rikishi and Too Cool came out to team with Rock and Mankind against the corporate DX army. Would give them an instant uptick of credibility. Maybe Mox teams with them against the Inner Circle one week and by the end he's kind of looking at them like "ok, motherfucker thinks he's a dinosaur, the tiny one won't stop the dancing, but that one in the middle's got something." There's a template there. 

• Like 1

I think there's something intrinsic in our psychology that wants to see people rise up to face a challenge that they might not can overcome. I think the reaction, both live and at home, to Luchasaurus, Marko Stunt, and Jungle Boy walking out of the entrance with serious looks on their faces while the Inner Circle is kicking Moxley's ass again would potentially be something that could draw money down the road. Jack Perry is a future star. Is he ready yet? No. Would being in the mix with the top angle in the company do a lot for his future prospects? Absolutely.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Slipped my mind during my larger post: Why in hell was there an Aubrey chant during the Jericho-Moxley angle? Knock that off, you knuckleheads. 

Aubrey has a history of shutting Jericho down (since she's always the ref for his matches).

And I think the audience was just wanting somebody to come in and save the day. She shows no fear when getting in the faces of heels, whereas the other refs cower. I actually think she's overplaying her hand and that refs shouldn't be shouting down heels like that, at least not in angles like that where they just did tremendous damage. Dave also said that he thinks hardly any fans in the '80s believed in the spike to the eye gimmick, much less in 2020.

Edited by Oyaji

33 minutes ago, Ace said:

Aubrey has a history of shutting Jericho down (since she's always the ref for his matches).

30 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And I think the audience was just wanting somebody to come in and save the day. 

I dunno. She also got a chant when she ran in after a ref bump in the Santana/Ortiz-Bucks street fight. We've got a popular ref situation on our hands, and I don't like it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

And I think the audience was just wanting somebody to come in and save the day. She shows no fear when getting in the faces of heels, whereas the other refs cower. I actually think she's overplaying her hand and that refs shouldn't be shouting down heels like that, at least not in angles like that where they just did tremendous damage. Dave also said that he thinks hardly any fans in the '80s believed in the spike to the eye gimmick, much less in 2020.

It's funny you bring this up because I've been thinking about the ref dynamics. The shorter bald ref (Bryce? Mike Posey?), for instance, hasn't backed down from Pentagon threatening him in a few matches and has even gotten in his face back and that does Penta a huge disservice since he's supposed to be a wild, arm-breaking psycho prize fighter. Aubrey can be the forceful one, I don't mind that, but if the refs are going to have personalities then she should be the only one. Rick Knox is the one who's loose with the rules hence the lack of tags and unlimited double teams in his matches. Earl Hebner is the one selling shirts in the parking lot. Everyone has their role. But I agree, ultimately they're not supposed to take attention away from the wrestlers so maybe they should reign that stuff in.