DVDVR Message Board

AEW Bash at the Beach - Coral Gables, FL - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

21 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Mel looked like her primary influence in wrestling is Tamina Snuka.

If I was a wrestler and read this about myself, I'd quit taking bookings and start travelling to every dojo that would take me and start putting in WORK.

That is one of the most savage insults I have read in a good long time. Kudos to you!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

If I was a wrestler and read this about myself, I'd quit taking bookings and start travelling to every dojo that would take me and start putting in WORK.

That is one of the most savage insults I have read in a good long time. Kudos to you!!

Mel (aka La Hija de Serena Deeb from Straight Edge Society) is not as bad as Tamina Snuka. That's clearly hyperbole.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I must discover who this heretic was that besmirched the good name of the Kentucky Gentleman!

Send the Swamp Monster after them!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I enjoyed last night's show. I'll add onto my dislike for Brandi Rhodes and her faction. everyone knows she is Cody's wife. She should be a face and being the Jack Tunney of the women's division, not the Stephanie McMahon. The entire Nightmare Collective is making me dislike the women's division as a whole. This is sad because I think they have some great talent in the division. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Mel (aka La Hija de Serena Deeb from Straight Edge Society) is not as bad as Tamina Snuka. That's clearly hyperbole.

I've only seen her a handful of times on SHIMMER tapes, but I am aware she is nowhere near as bad as Tamina.

Tamina Snuka is always interesting to me, as I am totally blown away by the idea that you can have a job for more than ten years and never improve at it.

• Like 1

• Opening match was a fine example of that kind of bout. Page looked like hurt his arm catching the Trent/Matt superplex. Either that or I bit on some semi-convincing selling.
  • Count me among those who aren't big on the Chuckie T hype, even though I can't remember expressing it all that loudly. Although the guy has a decent Twitter, whatever that's worth.
  • Finish to the opener sucked. There've been chaotic blind tags the whole match, so there's no credible reason for the Bucks to be pissy about it unless they're the ones who're gonna turn at the end of this mess. Also, how far from the corner was that last tag? 
  • JR encouraging me to do some research on Luther was amusing. You first, Jim.
  • There's nothing exciting in this women's division right now, and I wonder if the solution is Britt Baker. 
  • The Dork Order still sucks. Speaking of the invisible camera, I think I'd be less susceptible to the Legion of Losers' advances if I'm Nakazawa or Page and I see a segment on Dynamite where they outright say they're trying to recruit me for this gang of underachieving LARPers, . 
  • Liked the submission finish on Moxley-Guevara.
  • Hager and Sammy both got a chuckle out of me at the end of the Jericho promo.
  • Six-man tag did what it needed to. Amused by Dustin doubling down on the destroyer and busting out the ever-stupid Panama Sunrise.
  • Main event was probably my favourite PAC match in AEW so far. Darby delivers again. He's been a rousing success and it's probably time for him to start winning some of these big matches. 
Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

That was some enjoyable pro wrestling! Most things have been covered but a few small thoughts of my own:

Are MJF's Louis Vuitton trunks new? That's a great touch to go with the Burberry scarf. He was entertaining as hell in that match. 

No mention of Daniels in the Dark Order segment. Does that suggest he's the next recruit considering they made a big play for him last week but no mention tonight? 

It's not big or clever but I genuinely laugh every time Ortiz busts out the cat claw pose, it shouldn't be as funny as it is. His trash talk and daft little mannerisms are fantastic. 

• Like 1

The thing about Kris Statlander is, she's still quite green, she's gained a lot of muscle in the last year, and she's spent a lot of her career in intergender matches, where she was giving up 20-30 pounds at least. Suddenly she's in a division where she outweighs most of the other competitors substantially, and she doesn't know her own strength (because she's so much stronger than she was when she broke in). Up until now she's been encouraged to stiff almost everyone. Give her time to find the happy medium of credible work without killing everyone and she'll be golden.

Although having said that, the ideal person to teach her that power woman style is Awesome Kong, and ideally that would have been through the medium of like a distaff Vader vs Mark Henry feud, but if Kong can't go... get Aja Kong back maybe?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

There's nothing exciting in this women's division right now, and I wonder if the solution is Britt Baker. 

I don't mind her but this might be the first time I've seen this said in any of the AEW threads.  They were on their way with her but the only way I can see this work is if her heel game is so strong that she ends up being an entertaining enough champ because of it.

I think what may be needed is a champ that is around a lot more than Riho has been lately.  I adore her a ton but with her commitments being split between this and Stardom it's took away some of the direction that the division needs.  In its place it's led to some mini feuds which is great.  But it still needs a champ around to anchor all of that.

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I only put that there to see if anyone was actually reading my post. 

Well, I guess I passed that test.  ?  Though with her impending heel turn it's not the worst option in the world, at least not anymore.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Nobody running in to save Moxley. 

I think they set that up perfectly, explaining how Moxley has no friends, and doesn't even change in the dressing room but rather his car, etc. Toss in how he's beaten up damn near everybody, including sneak attacks and cheap shots and turning on partners... Who the fuck is gonna save him?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think my biggest complaint all night was probably Mel and Shida in that tag match. Shida at one point was being held down by Mel and Shida threw what were, I think, the weakest looking punches ever. She barely even touched Mel, if she even did, and Mel is selling each one. I thought that was a bad look.

Speaking of weak looking...I probably didn't have a big problem with that tag match as almost everyone else did because you need a change of pace, but the kick Shida threw off the top definitely stood out to me. Either you don't want to hurt someone or your offense needs to be tighten up just a bit.

• Like 1

Moxley needs to recruit some backup. It's becoming clear he cannot succeed in his mission to fight the world, if he insists on fighting alone. You can't Divide and Conquer if everyone is united in opposing you. Get some lads in, Mox. Start with Janela, maybe.

1 hour ago, grilledcheese said:

I've only seen her a handful of times on SHIMMER tapes, but I am aware she is nowhere near as bad as Tamina.

Tamina Snuka is always interesting to me, as I am totally blown away by the idea that you can have a job for more than ten years and never improve at it.

To be fair they found a good place for her as someone who looks mean and superkicks people in the face. Its just a question of why they have her enter the ring aside for doing that for whoever she is body guarding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Well, I guess I passed that test.  ?  Though with her impending heel turn it's not the worst option in the world, at least not anymore.

This actually isn't THAT bad of an idea.  Disband the Nightmare Collective, put Brandi back with Cody, let Awesome Kong work backstage, throw Luther into the pseudo-death match division with Havoc, Janella and anyone else I don't care that much about. Give Britt the title, bring Mel out as her bodyguard, have Riho/Statlander/Shida/Shanna chase her for the title, maybe have one of them recruit Nyla as their own heater to cancel out Mel.

Also, Janella's promo last night was so bad.  It was like he forgot what he was saying, thought it was pre-taped and not live and repeated it all over again.

I think Allin and Guevara are the two big break-out, semi-homegrown stars in AEW.  Guevara they can take their time with, I wouldn't be entirely against him eventually taking over the Inner Circle against a newly-face Jericho.  Allin, I think they should rush on, because with his frame and the beatings he takes, I fear that it's a matter of time before he starts to incur some serious injuries.  I'd actually not be horribly against the idea of Moxley taking the title from Jericho, then losing it very quickly to Allin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Moxley needs to recruit some backup. It's becoming clear he cannot succeed in his mission to fight the world, if he insists on fighting alone. You can't Divide and Conquer if everyone is united in opposing you. Get some lads in, Mox. Start with Janela, maybe.

I wonder if Pac comes to back him up as a guy who hates everyone also, but helps Moxley out of mutual hatred with the idea he gets a title shot down the line.

22 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think what may be needed is a champ that is around a lot more than Riho has been lately.  I adore her a ton but with her commitments being split between this and Stardom it's took away some of the direction that the division needs. 

AEW's and Stardom's shows don't generally happen at the same time. She has been able to do both fine. The lack of direction is more on AEW.

I could see Darby being someone to come out to save Moxley. They'll kill themselves in order to hurt their opponents. They're both loners. Maybe not a full fledged faction, but I'd like to see a loose alliance of Moxley, Allin, Joey Janela watching each other's back. Maybe add Brodie Lee to the mix when he becomes a free man.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Darby Allin is such an amazing blend of peak Jeff Hardy and Surfer Sting. He really needs to get some wins here and be built up.

I have to admit Darby is growing on me. He needed to bring it last night, and he did.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Darby Allin is such an amazing blend of peak Jeff Hardy and Surfer Sting. He really needs to get some wins here and be built up.

And the wins really need to come on Dynamite. It doesn't need to be against Cody or PAC (yet), but get him some wins and then some signature wins. Maybe do a rematch against PAC somewhere down the line and have him win that.

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I thought this exact thing last night, although I thought Sting in general since he has a healthy dose of Crow-era Sting too.