DVDVR Message Board

AEW Bash at the Beach - Coral Gables, FL - 1/15/2020

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Am I mistaken? Were Sammy’s flash cards during the PIP commercial break after his entrance the first time that happened in 4 months? Because that was brilliant, he cut a promo during the dreaded after entrance commercial break. I have to watch it again because I had to text about it before I could even read it. Super awesome. 

He’s done it for at least the last two weeks...

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Was anyone else bummed when DDP didnt have his ribs taped?

I think he actually had his lower back taped.  Looked like it when he got up after the top rope crossbody to the floor.  It reminded me of Foley talking bout a then mid-to-late thirties WCW DDP on the road with him and how after every show he had ice packs taped all over his body.  And that was almost 30 years ago!!!

I've got MJF's stupid music stuck in my head.  Someone please help me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, caley said:

I think he actually had his lower back taped.  Looked like it when he got up after the top rope crossbody to the floor.  It reminded me of Foley talking bout a then mid-to-late thirties WCW DDP on the road with him and how after every show he had ice packs taped all over his body.  And that was almost 30 years ago!!!

Cero Miedo, Mexi Kings....

Really good episode. Women's division is a mess. Commentary was good, outside of trying to proclaim Knox as some sort of tag division refereeing expert. Not a fan of the woman sitting in the lifeguard chair all show. Someone should have been diving off that thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Emi has a promotion to run. Bea's actual full time contract is with Stardom. I actually don't know why they haven't signed Hayter. She hasn't joined Stardom, and her boyfriend works for AEW.

Hayter and Havoc broke up and she's now with Karl Fredericks from the NJPW dojo, so that's probably why she's not on the shows anymore 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Watching the show now I’ll write more about it later maybe not like I do Powerrr but I do just wanna point out they should have not done the PIP of Cody at ringside after his promo and mate as used the PIP during the Statlander/Shida-Brandi/Mel match.

With Sammy Guevara's sign gimmick, the last two weeks he has used to to hit on single female celebrities (Victoria Justice's sister last week, Vanessa Hudgens this week). That's why the last sign is always his social media channels. Only the thing is, whilst Sammy the character is a single guy, on his vlogs he has his girlfriend (of four years) there every week.

Really good show.  Not much to complain about at all!

Good:

the 4-way tag was right up my alley.  Please inject crazy fast-paced arcade wrestling right into my veins.  Awesome how, eve with all the craziness, they still kept it a smartly-booked match with the Elite interactions and page's stuff.  Phenominal.  I'm really liking the slow build with Page turning or at least going his own way.  Drunken Page getting aggressive with SCU with Kenny trying to make peace was so good.

After being a bit of a joke for a while, and doing  alot of the cowardly stooging heel thing, the Inner Circle had a great beatdown on Moxley.

Moxley winning with a secondary finish (choke/sleeper) was wonderful.  Wrestling needs to do more of this.

I like the New Japan-esque unofficial/official #1 contenders tournament

I hope the Nightmare Collective losing clean means they're phasing out the angle or at least taking some of the attention away from it.  I don't know what led to Kong not being cleared but it feels like she's probably close to not being cleared every single week.  It's probably a good idea just to cut bait and keep her in her backstage role.

Nice to see B&B on the winning side of things.

As Casey said, the people downplaying Chuck Taylor can piss off.  He fucking brought it in that tag.

I'm looking forward to Janela/Fenix next week.

The Blade looks like the version of Ole Anderson you'd see in one of those Legends of Wrestling PS2 games

That great, quick promo by Moxley at the end really shows off the difference between this and WWE.  Quick, unscripted fired up promo where the guy is allowed to say "title shot" vs verbose, lifeless scripted to hell and back diatribe where the guy says "championship opportunity."

Bad:

Shida seemed off in that tag match.  I'll chalk it up to one opponent being, as someone else said, maybe a little nervous about the big stage, and the other opponent being Brandi.

Luther out there spamming his taunt like he was trying to fill his Special meter.

Nobody running in to save Moxley.  Announcers throwing it to the back afterwards saying "there's chaos back there," and there wasn't.  It was just the Inner Circle walking and then getting interviewed.  Wut?

QT Marshall's logo looks like a grocery store insignia

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Hayter and Havoc broke up and she's now with Karl Fredericks from the NJPW dojo, so that's probably why she's not on the shows anymore 

Now that's what I call a major upgrade, good for them.  And with her not with Havoc I like her a ton more now though that may also keep her away from AEW for a bit.  Hope to see her back though.

As for the show I though it was great.  The women's match didn't work for me but everything else was a least pretty darn good.  The fact that they had a themed set was absolutely tremendous.  Then you have a video game-style tag match which might not be everybody's cup of tea but worked for me.  And Cody going full Miami Vice deserves a big ol' chef's kiss for that.  And he had a helluva promo to boot!  Damn, did I love all this.

Also, I know commentary didn't bring it up but I noticed after Cody saying that MJF was lazy in his match he actually did a bit more than I'm used to see MJF doing.  I think that was a nice storyline response and while I'm glad commentary didn't have to point it out I hope that it was noticeable enough to drive that home.

Also, it was kind of a mindfuck seeing DDP in 2020 on TNT again though for what he did he still looked great.  Seeing him flying at 63 gives me hope but man does my 37-year-old ass need to get into gear big-time to look half as good as he does now. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I wanna say it was @Oyaji in the thread for the first Dynamite of 2020 when Trent had his singles match with Moxley. If not, apologies my guy. But whoever it was said that Chuckie T hasn't been that great and should team with OC as a comedy team or something and let Trent be the singles guy.

Great show, I had a blast!

Opener was pure stunt show car wreck but on that level it was a ton of fun. Omega/Page winning and then Page getting in SCU’s face is perfect. The long term storyline of Page’s inferiority complex turning him into more of a dick, but a winning dick, is My Kind of Wrestling.

I liked Moxley/Guevara and didn’t think it was too long although I can see that argument. Sammy has really grown on me since he joined the IC, probably some of that is Jericho’s influence. Mox winning with a sleeper and Sammy tapping immediately showed why Jon is on top without squashing him outright. I dug all the post-match too even though getting a nail to the eye is up there for one of my worst nightmares.

6-man worked for me. MJF is a better heel in the ring than on the mic. DDP and QT held up their end (QT’s wobbly legged highspots have a certain charm to them) and BnBnB looked good too (well, maybe not Allie’s whiffed slap to Dustin). I like that the heels aren’t a faction or anything, they’re just working together for now. Dustin still might be my favourite guy in the promotion.

Main event was rough in spots but both guys looked awesome and Darby lost nothing in defeat. The bomb on the steps might’ve been thought through a little more. I’m stoked for PAC/Mox even if the result is a little foregone. 

The women’s match wasn’t good but I kind of get the Collective on this level. If they were going to be seriously pushed as a spooky cult I wasn’t into it but Brandi last week and in this match has been a cowardly, scheming heel who loses. It doesn’t match her vignette persona at all which means her gimmick is that she’s a poser. If it’s intentional, that is. If it isn’t, it just wasn’t thought out well. Kris and Shida won as they should have. The NC need someone like Kong to make them viable, if she’s out they can shift away from that now because nobody is going to buy Brandi and Mel as threats right now, may as well put someone else in that spot.

I didn’t notice much in the way of production flubs or miscues either. Improvements!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, caley said:

MJF's theme is great. I find myself humming it pretty often.

8 hours ago, caley said:

As anyone who does DDP Yoga can tell you, he first developed the program to rehab his own back. He's probably in better shape now than he was then.  He still preaches icing after a workout, though.

• Like 1

Chucky T is the shit and I won't allow any besmirching of his good name.

@Technico Supportthe announcers said that Moxley was on his own because he doesn't have any friends.

I think my biggest complaint all night was probably Mel and Shida in that tag match. Shida at one point was being held down by Mel and Shida threw what were, I think, the weakest looking punches ever. She barely even touched Mel, if she even did, and Mel is selling each one. I thought that was a bad look.

Thankfully the rest of the night was awesome. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

If that’s actually the case they should consider letting him go and signing her. I think she has a lot more upside than him. And the women’s division isn’t compelling while I don’t think Sorry dude, don’t lose fights to middle aged announcers.

Anyway, I’m fine with no one coming to aid Moxley. A month ago he said he was going to destroy everyone.

I know it’s probably leading to a break up and feud but I’m surprised by how much I actually like Omega and Hangman as a tag team. I think they could actually be really good as a tag team if they stuck with it.

• Like 5

Brandi and Kong were just doing a version of the classic wrestling double act, loudmouth and bodyguard. It's just that with Kong being injured (and not actually mentioned at all on the show, so maybe she's being written out as it were) they had to skip the bit where the babyfaces would win if it weren't for the heel manager, and go straight to the Five Minutes Alone in the cage epic vengeance bit. And there wasn't too much to take vengeance for yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Really good show.  Not much to complain about at all!

Good:

the 4-way tag was right up my alley.  Please inject crazy fast-paced arcade wrestling right into my veins.  Awesome how, eve with all the craziness, they still kept it a smartly-booked match with the Elite interactions and page's stuff.  Phenominal.  I'm really liking the slow build with Page turning or at least going his own way.  Drunken Page getting aggressive with SCU with Kenny trying to make peace was so good.

After being a bit of a joke for a while, and doing  alot of the cowardly stooging heel thing, the Inner Circle had a great beatdown on Moxley.

Moxley winning with a secondary finish (choke/sleeper) was wonderful.  Wrestling needs to do more of this.

I like the New Japan-esque unofficial/official #1 contenders tournament

I hope the Nightmare Collective losing clean means they're phasing out the angle or at least taking some of the attention away from it.  I don't know what led to Kong not being cleared but it feels like she's probably close to not being cleared every single week.  It's probably a good idea just to cut bait and keep her in her backstage role.

As Casey said, the people downplaying Chuck Taylor can piss off.  He fucking brought it in that tag.

That great, quick promo by Moxley at the end really shows off the difference between this and WWE.  Quick, unscripted fired up promo where the guy is allowed to say "title shot" vs verbose, lifeless scripted to hell and back diatribe where the guy says "championship opportunity."

Bad:

Shida seemed off in that tag match.  I'll chalk it up to one opponent being, as someone else said, maybe a little nervous about the big stage, and the other opponent being Brandi.

Luther out there spamming his taunt like he was trying to fill his Special meter.

Nobody running in to save Moxley.  Announcers throwing it to the back afterwards saying "there's chaos back there," and there wasn't.  It was just the Inner Circle walking and then getting interviewed.  Wut?

I edited out stuff in your post I didn't have a reaction to so its' a edited quote.

Four way tag was what you would expect in terms of pacing and spots. Santana and Ortiz are still too goofy for my liking. I did like the interactions between Page and the Bucks and again Page isn't in the wrong in anyway here. Not sure why he's supposed to let the Bucks win instead of making the 30th blind tag in the match but it feeds into the motivation for the 'turn' that he's underappreciated and mistreated by the rest of the Elite.  Bucks doing a Hogan at Wrestlemania VI tribute at the end also feeds into that narrative if they are going for unlikable faces turning the likable one heel.  I thought the Buckshot Trigger was the jam. Still not seeing what Chuck Taylor brings to these matches other than a body.  Can barely remember him doing anything in there so you all can educate me about how he popped off the page for you all. 

The beat down was good.  I disagree that someone should have run out to save Moxley as he's made enemies out of everyone in narrative.  This isn't Cody where we have to pretend no one will help him for a few weeks, they've established why no one would help Mox since he's jumped or beat up everyone in the promotion. Beating was good, I don't think turning the lights off was needed and stole a moment we could have had where Jon stands his ground against an incoming stable because he's too ballsy to back down. I didn't get through the whole show yet but him charging out of the ambulance looked killer.

I also think the number one contenders tournament is backwards and goofy.  Moxley had better get the match or you've just wasted a month of television and he's already number one contender.  Why does he have to beat Sammy G (who I love) who is in no way a contender to the World Title? How is Darby in contention? It feels like filling time driving around the block to get somewhere we've already arrived.  Being the sniveling jerk is Sammy's role and he made that work, I think he might have been a little too effective,

Women's tag wasn't fit for television.  Brandi looks like she watched wrestling on television once and hopped in the ring. Statlander continues to whiff badly on her spots when she apron moonsaulted next to Mel and her alien powers knocked her down.  Mel looked like her primary influence in wrestling is Tamina Snuka. Even Shida looked like she was pulling everything so she wouldn't hurt anyone.  Just awful.  Luther adds nothing to the act and the sooner this ends the better.

• Like 1