DVDVR Message Board

RAW is The Monday Night Messiah 1/13/20

Niners Fan in CT

That main event was an example of good Heyman booking where stories, feuds, and wrestlers wind up getting intertwined in ways that make sense. Loved Buddy sitting out there catatonic until Seth was like "HELP US!" That in turn should also wind up roping in Black and wind up elevating Buddy and Black. Good ending to Raw.

And Kevin Owens is fucking insane. He comes so close to splattering his brains on the concrete and I still wouldn't be surprised if he got his bell rung.

• Like 3

Not a Drew fan, but it was nice to see him win over Orton and AJ. 

The Truth/Heyman/Brock segment was amusing. 

Buddy/Black was another fine match. Loved how the third loss led to Buddy's catatonic state.

The fist fight was pretty fun, and that Owen's running dive was spectacularly insane. Seth dragging Buddy out of his state and getting him to join up his team was neat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

EONfGnaWkAEe6TU?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, please. Rey Mysterio's going to be in a Ladder match.

I remember Rey Mysterio having two Ladder matches:

Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero, SummerSlam 2005 for custody of Dominick Mysterio. 

Rey Mysterio vs. Edge vs. Kane vs. Alberto Del Rio in a World Heavyweight Championship TLC match at TLC 2010. 

Edited by The Natural

So, this was the first RAW I watched in full in... fuck, forever. I should clarify - I usually have it on in the background unless I'm playing video games or actually watching something I care about, but this week I had to stay with my grandpa who has Parkinson's disease since my grandma had hip surgery today so someone had to stay the night with him. I also only have an internet connection due to my iPhone giving off a wireless hotspot, so that also explains why I watched a three hour show I don't care about.

Anyway, we watched this together after he got done watching a 3 hour (!) block of local news - which, side tangent here: why would anyone do this? My parents used to do this, my grandpa ALWAYS has. It's literally the same stories over and over, just maybe reported by a different anchor every hour. So annoying.

• McIntyre/Orton/Styles to kick things off, and I immediately don't care. Orton is a face? That's a big yawn from me. I always enjoyed him more when he was a heel. AJ is a good heel or face, but he's so damn talented you can't really boo him when he's playing the heel. I've got no clue what Drew is supposed to be, but I'll echo what others have said in mutliple threads: he should be the future they're leaning towards. It's been so long since I watched the program (or paid attention, anyway) that when Drew's music hit, I thought it was Sheamus. I went outside to smoke during this match, came back in to see the finish. Eh, whatever.
  • Ricochet and Mojo Rawley was certainly a match that happened. Grandpa was impressed with Ricochet's flips, though. And a spot or two when Mojo slammed Ricochet. Other than that... yeah, I don't know. What was the point of this? To get Mojo on the show so people remember who he is later on when he pins R-Truth?
  • Charlotte vs Sarah Logan got me excited because I'm a mark for Sarah Logan, but this just seemed pretty sloppy and not a very fun match to watch. I do miss seeing Charlotte doing those suplexes, so that was nice to see again, if only for one night. Grandpa's thoughts, during Charlotte's entrance: "I see why you watch this now."
  • Heyman & Lesnar promo for no real reason other than to serve as a introduction into the next angle with R-Truth, which led to Mojo winning the 24/7 title. This was stupid as fuck. Hasn't R-Truth been doing this confused/funny guy gimmick for a few years now? And it's still somewhat over? I just don't get it. The only thing I sort of marked for was Lesnar beating the shit out of him, and that's only because I thought we were able to see a Reddit shitpost come to life: Lesnar becomes 24/7 champion, then the entire roster of midcarders and below have to go to the Lesnar compound and find him to become champion. But, rightfully so, Lesnar doesn't give a fuck about this jobber title.
  • Murphy and Black don't do much for me, besides Black's entrance/theme song, so I kind of tuned out. He went to get ready for bed, I went outside to smoke again. We met back up in the living room in time for a tag team squash. He commented on how dangerous all of this is if they don't hit their spots at the exact right time (Viking Raiders' finisher, and that move on the outside at the beginning).
  • Rowan vs a jobber was also a match. Iron Claw chokeslam was impressive to both of us.
  • And finally, this shitshow of a main event. What made this a fist fight? It was basically a No DQ six man tag, with the referee being able to stop it conveniently when the show was about to end. The only impressive spot was the aforementioned Kevin Owens run up the stage into a senton.

I do not miss watching this show.

• Like 5

A lot of people (rightfully) crap all over the Lana/Lashley angle, but I'd say whatever this Erik Rowan thing is way worse. Only thing that it has going for it is that it's segments are like 3-4 minutes rather than 10-15. It makes no real sense and no matter what it ends up being in the cage, it can't translate to anything good in the ring or a true compelling story. Who is going to get over with this? It's just dumb all around. What is the point of Rowan's new pet?? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

A lot of people (rightfully) crap all over the Lana/Lashley angle, but I'd say whatever this Erik Rowan thing is way worse. Only thing that it has going for it is that it's segments are like 3-4 minutes rather than 10-15. It makes no real sense and no matter what it ends up being in the cage, it can't translate to anything good in the ring or a true compelling story. Who is going to get over with this? It's just dumb all around. What is the point of Rowan's new pet?? 

If you want to further this line of thinking, don't forget that one week we got promos from Rowan talking into the camera as if it was inside the cage, so either he got a cameraman to film from inside the cage next to his "pet" (and said cameraman never told anyone what it was, and neither did any of the other wrestlers who looked inside it!) or we are all Rowan's pet, and when he was talking to the camera, he was actually talking to all of us, so those people who looked inside the cage saw reflections of themselves and were so unnerved they ran away.

What I like about it, is no matter what they do, there will be no pay-off.  Anything so unspeakably awful that it makes wrestlers run away in terror, is nothing they would be allowed to show on TV.  Anything mild enough to show on TV won't be seen as a big enough reason for people to run away from.  I still hope it's Enzo Amore.