DVDVR Message Board

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy (1/18/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

That was a blast, man. Oleinik looked DONE and he was getting torn up. He waded in and landed a body blow that looked to really stop Crochet Master in his tracks and then it was a matter of time. Both of those guys rule.

• Like 3

That was predictably boring.  Holly Holm is a fantastic fighter, but isn't very dynamic.  Raquel Pennington fights like the woman who gets drunk and beats up dudes in the bowling alley.  She's tough as nails, and very good at what she does, but Holly's technique is far too good to lose to that kind of fighter.   

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Raquel Pennington fights like the woman who gets drunk and beats up dudes in the bowling alley.

Oh shit! That's the line of the night.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

Oh shit! Line of the night.

Pretty sure that's Tonya Evinger's whole entire gimmick.

Anyway, this is why I say what I keep saying about Raquel Pennington. If you want to use Sherdog or Tapology with little to no context to criticize a fighter, I will probably come at you. However, Raquel Pennington is a reflection of her record.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Pretty sure that's Tonya Evinger's whole entire gimmick.

Anyway, this is why I say what I keep saying about Raquel Pennington. If you want to use Sherdog or Tapology with little to no context to criticize a fighter, I will probably come at you. However, Raquel Pennington is a reflection of her record.

Pennington is a fighter who is neither a great athlete or all that technically proficient.  That's a tough draw at this level.  She wins fights because she's tougher than her opponent, but it's hard to out tough someone hits you multiple times for every punch you land.  

We need some Youtuber to make a video with Dave Bautista shopping.  Just where does he shop, the reason he decided to pick a particular outfit, everything.  I just want to know how and why he makes these decisions.  

• Like 2

Couldn't agree with more of the above post. Both of those are 100% spot on comments. Pennington, it's amazing the odds were so close. Other than perservence there's nothing she has on Holm and that she's made it this far is impressive for her but a bad look for that division.

Was leaving the room when they introduced Big Dave and I had to come back to see what he was wearing.

• Like 1

Maaaaaan, Cowboy cannot take a shot anymore. It didn't even look like much more than the toes connected with Cowboy's head on the head kick, but it completely rocked him.

EDIT: Nevermind, other angle showed that kick landing flush. Good kick.

Edited by Craig H

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, Cowboy seems like a swell dude and all but for the interest of keeping things interesting, him winning is a nightmare. 

Cowboy is the TV champion.  He's the guy who takes on all comers and all of the fights will be entertaining.  He's not World Champion material...he's probably not U.S. Championship material.  

Herb Dean should have stopped that about 10 strikes earlier.

Just now, Craig H said:

Maaaaaan, Cowboy cannot take a shot anymore. It didn't even look like much more than the toes connected with Cowboy's head on the head kick, but it completely rocked him.

Cowboy was never the most durable though.  He's a phenomenal offensive fighter,  he is able to punch, kick, wrestle and grapple at a level that most people can't match...but elite fighters who can defend and hit him back smash him pretty much every single time.

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Cowboy is the TV champion.  He's the guy who takes on all comers and all of the fights will be entertaining.  He's not World Champion material...he's probably not U.S. Championship material.  

Herb Dean should have stopped that about 10 strikes earlier.

Cowboy was never the most durable though.  He's a phenomenal offensive fighter,  he is able to punch, kick, wrestle and grapple at a level that most people can't match...but elite fighters who can defend and hit him back smash him pretty much every single time.

Yeah, Cowboy is Magnum TA even if he never had the wreck or Arn. He don't get the NWA world title.

As for his durability, WEC Cowboy Cerrone and early on in the UFC run against some of the bottom barrel guys, he was the Terminator. In fights where he is considerably the more talented guy like in the Adriano Martins and Jim Miller fights, he was scary. He is a level above being a frontrunner like a Zab Judah in his prime in boxing. Now that he is old and been through so many tough fights, it only makes his performances against top flight talent or even just a step below that even worse. 

There was once a 21-4 version of Cowboy, and directly after that we got the current 4-7 Cowboy. His three-fight losing streak has been to absolute murderers so I'm not going to count him out completely, but a significant step down in competition for the rest of his career is necessary.

Conor needs to fight Masvidal and get the fuck out of 170, fight Tony Ferguson (regardless of who wins or loses what because I think it's a good matchup for Conor), box Manny Paquiao or some shit and then retire off of getting absolutely annihilated by Khabib again / making the most money anyone's ever made for a fight.

• Like 1

Boxing Manny Pacquiao would be the worst decision of his life. At least if Amanda Nunes boxed Claressa Shields, Shields doesn't have real KO power. Amanda would just get bopped really badly for 30 minutes, but most likely make it to the final bell as a weird moral victory. Manny Pacquiao is not going to have a glorified half speed sparring match like Floyd did with Conor for the first five or six rounds. Manny will land about two or three dozen punches on Conor flush every round until he beats Conor into submission. So the beating is going to come early instead of late this time. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

What the hell was Herb Dean thinking with that Mario Yamasaki style "If he dies he dies" bullshit? He's usually good but he had a pretty bad night tonight.

In terms of business this was the perfect outcome for the UFC.  if we are going to use wrestling logic,  Cerrone was Samoa Joe in basically all of his title matches in the last 2 or 3 years.  A very credible opponent that fans respect that if the champ (or the mega star returning back in this case) wins it makes the next matches look good.   

Now in terms of financial business I guess we will see.  I haven't gone to as many UFC PPV's at Hooters as I used to but this had the best attendance in many years.  I think this is the PPV where we see how beneficial going to ESPN+ was?

Edited by hammerva