DVDVR Message Board

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy (1/18/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

8 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

that suuuuuuuucks for Claudia. McGregor return card, all the eyes watching, and your opponent keeps you out of the cage.

How does the money work in a situation like that?

Chas Skelly got his fight canceled earlier this week because Grant Dawson is having USADA issues, but I don't know if he got his show money at least. If you weigh in especially, I think they work something out in terms of compensation. Like I brought up recently with people missing weight, in this case with a big miss, the commission is going to step in and automatically cancel the fight. So Claudia had no choice in accepting a fight and a % of her opponent's purse so it's not her fault in any shape or form.

Sucks cause I was really looking forward to this fight with two of my favorite female fighters.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

maycee no ?

She'll be back, but that was an unfortunate way to lose.  And if I'm in a fight, don't come in and tell my opponent I have a knee injury and then let me keep fighting.  If I have a partially torn ACL, I'm done.  

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

She'll be back, but that was an unfortunate way to lose.  And if I'm in a fight, don't come in and tell my opponent I have a knee injury and then let me keep fighting.  If I have a partially torn ACL, I'm done.  

I dunno if anyone saw it, but at the end of last year, Yuriorkis Gamboa fought basically an entire 12 round fight with a torn achilles. He adamantly told his corner that he couldn't go anymore because of his foot between rounds 2 and 3. Maybe something was lost in translation (which is funny because everyone in the corner speaks Spanish), but they thought it was an issue with his shoe because it was tearing apart. Then, they taped up the shoe a few rounds later. Gamboa fought another man in Gervonta Davis for an additional 30 minutes with a torn achilles and who was rocking him damn near every round. That's insane.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I dunno if anyone saw it, but at the end of last year, Yuriorkis Gamboa fought basically an entire 12 round fight with a torn achilles. He adamantly told his corner that he couldn't go anymore because of his foot between rounds 2 and 3. Maybe something was lost in translation (which is funny because everyone in the corner speaks Spanish), but they thought it was an issue with his shoe because it was tearing apart. Then, they taped up the shoe a few rounds later. Gamboa fought another man in Gervonta Davis for an additional 30 minutes with a torn achilles and who was rocking him damn near every round. That's insane.

I guess all of these things are a matter of degree, but if your achilles is all the way torn, you physically cant stand.  If it's completely torn you basically have no control of your foot.  It's irresponsible to let anyone fight with even a partially torn achilles, though it is amazing when they do.  It is probably the most devastating injury that an athlete can have.

Brian Kelleher is a dude I've seen fight multiple times.  If he walks up to me next Wednesday, I'll have no idea who he is.  

9 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Brian Kelleher is a dude I've seen fight multiple times.  If he walks up to me next Wednesday, I'll have no idea who he is.  

OK, I'll give him credit.  I'll remember that submission for at least two Wednesdays.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I guess all of these things are a matter of degree, but if your achilles is all the way torn, you physically cant stand.  If it's completely torn you basically have no control of your foot.  It's irresponsible to let anyone fight with even a partially torn achilles, though it is amazing when they do.  It is probably the most devastating injury that an athlete can have.

For one thing, the fight was in Atlanta at State Farm Arena and Georgia doesn't have many boxing events let alone a high profile boxing event. Gamboa's corner basically had a never ending conversation that lasted beyond the allotted time between rounds. Usually, if something strange like that happens, the ref or a commission rep steps in to see what the hell is going on and then a doctor steps in if necessary. If it's an injury or the fighter verbally quits like that, that's the end. But in Georgia state, I guess the rules are a tad different.