DVDVR Message Board

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy (1/18/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

ELtcGlRX0AAGhwi.jpeg?1576304647

UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cowboy
January 18, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Conor McGregor (170) vs. Donald Cerrone (170) - McGregor, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:40)
Holly Holm (135.5) vs. Raquel Pennington (136) - Holm, DEC (unanimous)
Oleksiy Oliynyk (238) vs. Maurice Greene (243) - Oliynyk, SUB (armbar), R2 (4:28)
Brian Kelleher (136) vs. Ode Osborne (135) - Kelleher, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (2:49)
Anthony Pettis (155.5) vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira (155.5) - Ferreira, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:46)

ESPN Preliminary Card:
Roxanne Modafferi (125) vs. Maycee Barber (126) - Modafferi, DEC (unanimous)
Andre Fili (145.5) vs. Sodiq Yusuff (146) - Yusuff, DEC (unanimous)
Tim Elliott (125.5) vs. Askar Askarov (126) - Askarov, DEC (unanimous)
Drew Dober (155.5) vs. Nasrat Haqparast (156) - Dober, TKO (punches), R1 (1:10)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Aleksa Camur (204) vs. Justin Ledet (205) - Camur, DEC (unanimous)
Sabina Mazo (125.5) vs. JJ Aldrich (125) - Mazo, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Drew Dober
Performance of the Night: Carlos Diego Ferreira
Performance of the Night: Brian Kelleher
Performance of the Night: Oleksiy Olinyk 
Performance of the Night: Conor McGregor

Attendance: 19,040
Gate$11 million

Cancelled Fights:
Chas Skelly vs. Grant Dawson - Dawson Potential USADA Violation
Cláudia Gadelha vs. Alexa Grasso - Grasso Removed By Commission Due to Weight Miss

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

• jaedmc pinned this topic

My God.  Two fighters with two of the worst fighter nicknames in the sport (The Happy Warrior and Andre "Touchy" Fili) are on the preliminary card.

Man, they couldn't have picked a better opponent style wise for Conor if they tried.   That's a good match-up for McGregor.  I love Cowboy, but I don't see how he gets past Conor's striking if McGregor actually shows up motivated to fight.

54 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My God.  Two fighters with two of the worst fighter nicknames in the sport (The Happy Warrior and Andre "Touchy" Fili) are on the preliminary card.

Man, they couldn't have picked a better opponent style wise for Conor if they tried.   That's a good match-up for McGregor.  I love Cowboy, but I don't see how he gets past Conor's striking if McGregor actually shows up motivated to fight.

FWIW I am old enough to recall that "The Happy Warrior" was the nickname for the  horrible Democratic candidate for POTUS Hubert Horatio Humphrey (yes, the original "Triple H", who if you needed another reason to hate him was so bad that people said "Fuck it!" and voted for Nixon.  I thought that we had assumed G/S/M for ally-ass names when we actually produced a guy whose working name is "Big Daddy Yum Yum" . I'll admit to a chuckle when being introduced as "a guy that knows a lot about pro wrestling" to "a guy who is a pro wrestler" as a rather large man held out his hand and said "I'm the Juggernaut!" I give the guy all sorts of cred  for keeping it kayfabe in the Mecca Cafe until I pointed across the street and said "Sorry Charlie's" is the place that most of the boys seem to prefer. We chatted for a bit and he cracked up when I explained why he was told to skip Tex's Tavern Thurs-Sun is when Seattle's deaf community turns up there to get fucked up. Watching them "yelling" at each other via signing after 11PM  is actually pretty hilarious, however, you need to establish that are laughing WITH them and not AT them as these guys are pound for pound some of the strongest dudes that you will ever meet. I don't know why lack of hearing seems to affect muscles or a desire to work out, but seemingly it does

Also, allow me to step in as representing the group of Irishmen who hate McGregor , the guy is a disgusting POS who is a disgrace to his country, whereas Cowboy is a  credit to his species and one of my favorite fighters who will likely get his ass handed to him if he tries to go toe to toe with McGregor. If he can get it to the ground, Cowboy can do horrible things to the human body, but he HAS to get it to the ground without eating a bunch of big shots doing so. If Cowboy goes to the ground courtesy of eating some big shots from Comor, he's going there to tap out, that can be the only reason.  I pray that we get to see Cowboy tie that obnoxious prick into knots, but betting with my head, I don't see it happening. Of course my head was fine regarding Mr. Covington's jaw (I wonder if he's still enjoying soup and ice-cream for dinner?), perhaps the same gift of the gods will befall Mr. McGregor, though in all fairness am injury that involves choppy-choppy pee-pee would be just fine.. I don't think that I've ever wished that sort of harm on a person before, but is Conor really a "person"?

• Like 2

Yeah, and I can't see when the free replay on regular BT Sport is. It's not the following Friday like the last two UFCs on BT PPV were. Although their schedule has been all out of whack since they started showing all those WWE replays all the time.

• Like 1

A lot of fights on the undercard that we might look back on as being really important. Mayce should shred Roxi (sad face), but there are some more intriguing questions that are being asked of a lot of good prospects. Sodiq Yusuff, Diego Ferreria, and Nasrat Haqparast have upside for days - and I'm an even bigger Haqparast fan due to his having one of the best MMA names going. Maybe not on the level of a Wanderson Michel "Shaolin" de Jesus Silva (real person, look him up), but certainly close.

• Like 1

It's so weird seeing calmer-than-usual, not coked out of his everloving mind Conor McGregor.

FWIW I'm watching the NBA game on ESPN and during halftime about five minutes ago, Scott Van Pelt just put over Cerrone huge. Came off super genuine. Kinda cool.

34 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Cerrone is getting cracked in the first round, right? 

Maybe I'm just being super harsh, but I thought McGregor looked like total shit against Khabib and that's even considering it's Khabib Nurmagomedov. Yes, Conor should clown Cerrone everyday of the week but you never know if guys can come back physically with hard living + extended layoffs. The only big advantage I give Conor right now besides the style matchup is there is a strong chance Cerrone is past it too.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe I'm just being super harsh, but I thought McGregor looked like total shit against Khabib and that's even considering it's Khabib Nurmagomedov. Yes, Conor should clown Cerrone everyday of the week but you never know if guys can come back physically with hard living + extended layoffs. The only big advantage I give Conor right now besides the style matchup is there is a strong chance Cerrone is past it too.

Yeah, I think this is a bout between two guys on the downswing of their careers and while I agree with you that Conor didn't look even okay against Khabib, I think Cerrone's shot. I'll take a rusty, slower Conor over a Cerrone without a chin. I could even see McGregor getting back to his prime or close to it. I can't see that happening with Cerrone. 

• Like 3

@AxB, if you can't sleep, BBC 5 Live Sports Extra has commentary of the main card. When BBC 5 Live has boxing/MMA commentary in the early hours of the morning our time, it's usually replayed on a loop for a few hours after on BBC 5 Live Sports Extra at a more agreeable time.

• Thanks 1