DVDVR Message Board

The Tessa Dumpster Fire Thread

Kang

I get WHY they did it. Overall, she's the best talent they have. I think they did it as smartly as possible, having her come up short over and over again before finally giving her the belt. I get that it's the one thing they could do that would set then apart from the rest of the field, since nobody else that matters at all in the U.S. was gonna do it (sorry, Lucha Underground)

But, yeah, I also have no idea where they go next.

You could argue that the Cruiserweight Title is redundant if smaller guys are fighting for top titles.

When Mysterio was World Champion on Smackdown, Gregory Helms quietly continued what would be a year long run with the Cruiserweight Title. It fell into Hornswoggle's arms ultimately, but not until later.

So basically you have some undercard heel woman win the title and go on about how she's the best female wrestler in the company. If you really need to, you run huge interference to put her over Tessa Blanchard in a non-title match.

Normally I'd say, look it's Impact - Tessa will be gone by the end of the year anyway. But given her 'popularity', who really knows lol!

Tessa feuding with Taya makes sense though, because they feuded over the Knockouts Title and Taya won. Has held the belt ever since, becoming the longest reigning KO Champion along the way. She's the last person to beat Tessa in a title match. It's like how Warrior's first feud after beating Hogan was with Rude, who had ended his IC reign.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Tessa probably could have made thins a tad better by admitting her mistake and apologizing. Instead she made things 10X worse.  WWE put the lock on their door and I'd imagine AEW will too Tully or not. 

So if you're actually somebody in the business, and have no problem trashing Britt Baker's reputation based off real life experiences and things you've heard... care to comment on Tessa?

11 hours ago, Casey said:

So if you're actually somebody in the business, and have no problem trashing Britt Baker's reputation based off real life experiences and things you've heard... care to comment on Tessa?

Yeah, she's trash. Lets get one thing straight, Brit may have refused to work certain workers, she may have badmouthed one promoter to another, but she hasn't to my knowledge acted with racism, nor has she spat in another workers face.   Tessa as a worker is 100x better than Baker but as a person she is trash. 

When I was asked to help book women matches I could have used Baker and/or Tessa,  I opted not to. Not based on $$ but on attitude. One of the females we booked knew Tessa from WOW on AXS and said that we would be better off not bringing her in. I trusted her opinion.  I was at a show Saturday where someone made a pretty interesting comment.  "nobody from the area speaks highly of Brit Baker"  this was a quote from a worker at Brit's home promotion. Said worker made this comment to Brian Pillman Jr and Jonathan Gresham.  

Now that I  as "somebody in the business" have commented on Tessa, what are your comments?

• Like 2

I don't like Tessa all that much in-ring, and seeing as how I'm just a fan of wrestling and haven't had real life backstage interactions with her or anything, I'm left to make a judgment (or not) based off of the amount of people that have come out against her versus her own comments and the people defending her. I'm not making a judgment based off tweets. But I also don't give a single fuck about Impact, so there's that too. They get what they deserve, and Impact have been enablers of bad faith actors for a long, long time - so at the very least, if it is true, they knew about her behavior (both past and present) and decided to sign her anyway because reasons.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't like Tessa all that much in-ring, and seeing as how I'm just a fan of wrestling and haven't had real life backstage interactions with her or anything, I'm left to make a judgment (or not) based off of the amount of people that have come out against her versus her own comments and the people defending her. I'm not making a judgment based off tweets. But I also don't give a single fuck about Impact, so there's that too. They get what they deserve, and Impact have been enablers of bad faith actors for a long, long time - so at the very least, if it is true, they knew about her behavior (both past and present) and decided to sign her anyway because reasons.

I liked this post a lot actually. It made me think of some of the boneheaded things TNA/Impact has done in the past. They really have made a ton of horrible decisions and putting the belt on Tessa after all of this has to rank up there

The difference between Tessa and most other people in this situation is her peers aren't going to let the issue slide. I think WWE and even AEW would probably wait a year or so for the issue to die down then bring her in but certain people aren't going to let people forget. I don't think they should forget. Tessa is the top Wrestler in IMPACT now and with her fiancee she can continue to get work in Mexico. I'm not convinced % 100 that the door is closed for the 2 major companies bringing her in. It may take a few more years. It'll be interesting to see how she's affected by this, Its probably a win for IMPACT in a sense that this increased the likelihood of her sticking around.

I'm not a fan of a woman holding the title but I dont watch IMPACT anyway. I'd like to see where they go with this though, do they have her booked again another woman or do they keep her hagain men.

They just did tapings in Mexico and the title change happened in Texas, it'll be interesting to see what reaction see gets among East coast fans.

Edited by Ziggy

I think most Impact fans would have to be pretty hardcore wrestling fans so I assume the majority of them are aware of what is happening as opposed to your casual WWE fanbase who may not check websites/boards to see what is happening. If they want to keep her champion and on tv they should find a way to turn her heel very quickly. 

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

The difference between Tessa and most other people in this situation is her peers aren't going to let the issue slide. I think WWE and even AEW would probably wait a year or so for the issue to die down then bring her in but certain people aren't going to let people forget. I don't think they should forget. Tessa is the top Wrestler in IMPACT now and with her fiancee she can continue to get work in Mexico. I'm not convinced % 100 that the door is closed for the 2 major companies bringing her in. It may take a few more years. It'll be interesting to see how she's affected by this, Its probably a win for IMPACT in a sense that this increased the likelihood of her sticking around.

I'm not a fan of a woman holding the title but I dont watch IMPACT anyway. I'd like to see where they go with this though, do they have her booked again another woman or do they keep her hagain men.

They just did tapings in Mexico and the title change happened in Texas, it'll be interesting to see what reaction see gets among East coast fans.

I disagree, the outrage cycle never lasts that long these days. Plus, none of of the people burying her are well known people.

Unless there is video of her doing something, I really don’t think Allison Kay’s tweets aren’t going to be able to drive news cycles for months to come. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

I disagree, the outrage cycle never lasts that long these days. Plus, none of of the people burying her are well known people.

Unless there is video of her doing something, I really don’t think Allison Kay’s tweets aren’t going to be able to drive news cycles for months to come. 

More people watch Allysin Kay on a weekly basis than people do Tessa Blanchard on Impact. I have nothing to back that up, but it seems plausible to me.

Chelsea Green has started to be featured on national television for NXT as of the last few weeks.

I forget who the others were to be quite honest. I know Isla Dawn, but even WWE fans hardly watch NXT UK.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

More people watch Allysin Kay on a weekly basis than people do Tessa Blanchard on Impact. I have nothing to back that up, but it seems plausible to me.

Chelsea Green has started to be featured on national television for NXT as of the last few weeks.

I forget who the others were to be quite honest. I know Isla Dawn, but even WWE fans hardly watch NXT UK.

I think Ace has it right, none of these people are names. Which is more reasons why I think is why this story isn’t going to last.

And even if more people watch the NWA youtube show, almost no one is doing so for the women or Kay. For instance, the thread here on NWA features several posts about Melina’s hips and being thicker than when she was in the WWE. Not about whatever angle they’re trying to do.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I think Ace has it right, none of these people are names. Which is more reasons why I think is why this story isn’t going to last.

And even if more people watch the NWA youtube show, almost no one is doing so for the women or Kay. For instance, the thread here on NWA features several posts about Melina’s hips and being thicker than when she was in the WWE. Not about whatever angle they’re trying to do.

Has Impact's ratings on whatever channel they are on upticked at all since they started featuring Tessa?

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I will admit that we talked about that, but we did talk about Melina favourably as a pro wrestler more generally.
I will admit I'm not thinking about the angle other than there some heels and some faces, and the heels are a group but they don't always get along so much.
I don't really think Allysin's a natural face, but she had a run on Impact when more people were paying attention to the show.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:29 PM, paintedbynumbers said:

Yeah, she's trash. Lets get one thing straight, Brit may have refused to work certain workers, she may have badmouthed one promoter to another, but she hasn't to my knowledge acted with racism, nor has she spat in another workers face.   Tessa as a worker is 100x better than Baker but as a person she is trash. 

When I was asked to help book women matches I could have used Baker and/or Tessa,  I opted not to. Not based on $$ but on attitude. One of the females we booked knew Tessa from WOW on AXS and said that we would be better off not bringing her in. I trusted her opinion.  I was at a show Saturday where someone made a pretty interesting comment.  "nobody from the area speaks highly of Brit Baker"  this was a quote from a worker at Brit's home promotion. Said worker made this comment to Brian Pillman Jr and Jonathan Gresham.  

Now that I  as "somebody in the business" have commented on Tessa, what are your comments?

We have learnt nothing as a society from what happened with Mark Chapman.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:41 AM, Casey said:

Well, YouTube views are collated Worldwide, whilst TV ratings are collated nationally, so even if the NWA show seems to be rating higher, it probably isn't actually being watched by more people. Impact has TV deals in many countries, and puts highlights on YouTube, and has the whole twitch/ subscription service as well. I'd say more people would know Sienna from Impact than would know Allysin Kay from NWA.

• Like 1