DVDVR Message Board

The Tessa Dumpster Fire Thread

Kang

It's perplexing to see Tessa as time goes on.  In some interviews she comes across as the sweetest darn person you ever did see.  And if I just knew that about her I'd like her a ton.  But you factor in all the rumors and such before last week and then I'm led to believe she's just a sweet girl who made young a dumb decisions.  So for awhile I would give her the benefit of the doubt mainly because she's a really awesome wrestler that would be a huge asset to a company like AEW.

But then last week happened and after doubling down in that tweet I can safely go into "Fuck Tessa Blanchard" territory (and not in the good way)  To say racist shit and have eyewitnesses from different companies and then claim that never happened is insulting.  But even if her side of it checked out there's still all the other examples that you just can't simply brush off (the sexual stuff doesn't count as I generally don't hold stuff like that against people)  I haven't seen a match of hers since then so not sure if I can separate the art from the artist yet.

At this point she needs to stay off social media and go on a big ol' apology tour.  Settle what needs to be settled and only then come back online.  If there's proof from people that this was done then maybe I'll like her again.  But as it is I just can't.

• Like 1

if we are going under the guise that "she has changed since going to Impact' then sure I don't see why it is an issue to wrestle.  Wrestling a world champion regardless how meaningless the company is still a big thing.   But if she hasn't changed and something dumb happens, then I would let the shit hit the fan after the match 

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

if we are going under the guise that "she has changed since going to Impact' then sure I don't see why it is an issue to wrestle.  Wrestling a world champion regardless how meaningless the company is still a big thing.   But if she hasn't changed and something dumb happens, then I would let the shit hit the fan after the match 

If this all happened a year or so and she's shown to be a much better person than that then sure.  But denying you said something when there's witnesses saying you did doesn't give me much hope that that's the case.  But either way karma's biting her hard and she's responding to it in a really bad way.

yeah but the "I was young and dumb" card shouldn't work for her. Look at her family lineage for god's sake. She was raised into wrestling and her of anyone should know how to act with fellow workers.  That is the last excuse she should ever use. Her post isn't even an apology it's a denial. She doesn't think she's done anything wrong. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

yeah but the "I was young and dumb" card shouldn't work for her. Look at her family lineage for god's sake. She was raised into wrestling and her of anyone should know how to act with fellow workers.  That is the last excuse she should ever use. Her post isn't even an apology it's a denial. She doesn't think she's done anything wrong. 

Was Tully Blanchard really the person to go to on "how to act with fellow workers".   Maybe Magnum though 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Eivion said:

There is bikini wrestling stuff out there with her and many others. It seems to be a norm for indy women.

Putting out a naughty photobook edition is almost a rite of passage in joshi. It's a sad part of the business.

Io Shirai's gravure spread in WPB / Shūpure is like the unicorn of naughty joshi content.

I'm sure that Mickie James has bought all the copies of that dirt mag she was in as Alexis LaRee and has probably burned the photos along with the negatives.

Edited by J.T.

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

She easily could've said "I used to be an asshole but I have grown and become a better person. I apologize for the shitty things I did in my past and to all the people that I hurt." 

Wrestlers have a really hard time eating crow and admitting their dumb mistakes. I did it once and everyone's jaws hit the floor when I legit apologized to someone for being an asshole; a few people even admonished me for being "weak" in apologizing. You can't invest this much time in your imaginary super-human persona and then ruin it by being an actual person, in some people's eyes. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Putting out a naughty photobook edition is almost a rite of passage in joshi. It's a sad part of the business.

Io Shirai's gravure spread in WPB / Shūpure is like the unicorn of naughty joshi content.

Io's shoot kind of stood out because naughty photobooks aren't too much a of norm anymore. There are still bikini shoots and photobooks, but I think the content is supposed to be generally tame opposed to full nudity.

Does remind me of Natsu showing off Io's shoot to the ref during Io's roster gauntlet match on her way out. 

47 minutes ago, Infinit said:

She easily could've said "I used to be an asshole but I have grown and become a better person. I apologize for the shitty things I did in my past and to all the people that I hurt." 

It’s a good life lesson for any mistake you make, regardless of magnitude. Own it and apologize. No one is interested in hearing anything else. For damn sure not getting defensive and making excuses. 

54 minutes ago, Infinit said:

So tempting to do an X-Rated FTFY, but not going to. Did you have to use the words 'Asshole' and 'Shitty'?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AxB said:

So tempting to do an X-Rated FTFY, but not going to. Did you have to use the words 'Asshole' and 'Shitty'?

I would say something about it but I'm over here mildly curious about that Io shoot.

Anyway, another thing about this is that the title win was a story they were planning for months and until I stopped watch was pretty well-done.  They could have I guess found a way to not make it happen but it being in her home state the stars were aligned for her.  But while it's awesome she won the men's title it all rings hollow.  Which is a shame because if not for all this that would have done wonders for her career.

39 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Wrestlers have a really hard time eating crow and admitting their dumb mistakes. I did it once and everyone's jaws hit the floor when I legit apologized to someone for being an asshole; a few people even admonished me for being "weak" in apologizing. You can't invest this much time in your imaginary super-human persona and then ruin it by being an actual person, in some people's eyes. 

Reason #23543464 why I couldn't be a wrestler.  I have a hard time buying into bullshit.  I once worked for a company that loved to create stupid jargon, that management would quote ad nauseum.  I remember one of the things our performance reviews were based on was enthusiasm.  I got a terrible score, because I was "too busy making a mockery of company culture" or some shit like that.  Fuck that, you pay me to do a job, and I'll do that job, don't try to make me recite your crap or act a certain way or any other bullshit.  I can continue to be the person I am and do your stupid ass job.  I can't even imagine the type of bullshit that happens in a wrestling locker room over this kind of random dumb shit.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I once worked for a company that loved to create stupid jargon, that management would quote ad nauseum. 

When you say stupid jargon, do you mean things like "New Generation", "Get the F Out", "Ruthless Aggression", "Divas Revolution", stuff like that? A match in 1997 between a 43 year old and a 42 is the Age in the Cage, but a match in 2019 featuring 53 year old and a 51 year old facing a 49 year old and another 53 year old is worth hyping up for Saudi?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ironically, Tessa would have been my number one pick for a new top babyface in the NWA's women's roster as I've never thought Allysin Kay was much suited to the role. Somehow I don't see those two working together in the near future, outside of maybe a shootfight.

Semi-serious question: did Impact start booking Tessa against men because the women didn't want to work with her?

On 1/13/2020 at 11:04 AM, supremebve said:

Dude, the "I'm not perfect" and "We all make mistakes" people are right up there with the "Only God can judge me" people as far as red flags go.  We need a Mendoza line for mistakes, because spitting and racial slurs are intentional acts that don't really have a practical application other than to be a horrible person.  For the record, I'm of the opinion that if you spit on someone or call them a racial slur, that person should legally be allowed to kill you.  

RIP Naito.

10 hours ago, Doghouse Reilly said:

Ironically, Tessa would have been my number one pick for a new top babyface in the NWA's women's roster as I've never thought Allysin Kay was much suited to the role. Somehow I don't see those two working together in the near future, outside of maybe a shootfight.

Semi-serious question: did Impact start booking Tessa against men because the women didn't want to work with her?

It appears her first feud is going to be against Taya Valkyrie, so I’d say no.

For the record, I think Tessa is awesome in the ring and comes off like a legit star at all times. She's consistently one of the highlights of anytime I catch Impact. But, I just don't get where do we go from here with her as the world champion. Why do you even have a women's championship if your biggest star is challenging for the men's title? If her first feud is against Taya, what happens with the Knockout belt?

I'm not against the idea of intergender wrestling on VERY rare occasions as a special attraction but when we get to title matches and world championships you just paint yourself into a corner. (Yes, I don't think Chyna should have ever been intercontinental champion). Asuka and Io Shirai are two of my favorite wrestlers right now but I don't want to see Asuka vs Brock or Io vs Bray. Her winning the belt(all the dumpster fire real like stuff removed)might be a great "in the moment" story but it just feels problematic as to where you go from here