DVDVR Message Board

2020 Wrestling podcasts thread

Rev Ray

On 4/16/2020 at 5:13 AM, Casey said:

Lastly - the New Day podcast. Dragonball Z is not the best show ever, get the fuck out of here. But I'm not shocked that anime dorks Xavier and Kofi willed that into existence. Poor Big E, he was holding the flag for Curb, but it wasn't meant to be. The episode where they talk about WrestleMania moments was okay, the only thing I remember was that Big E was apparently in a super religious family, couldn't listen to rap, and barely got to watch RAW or Nitro back then - much less watch a WrestleMania. Funny note - all 3 of them hate the match they had against the League of Nations and then getting beat up by Austin, HBK and Foley. Like, really hate it.

I just started listening to the New Day podcast in like the last week and yeah - in general - it is interesting to hear them talk so openly about their feelings (which goes into how they believe they have earned the trust to do so).

Them talking about how shitty the build up was for that League of Nations match made me giggle because even they were like "WHY DID KOFI HAVE THREE SINGLES MATCHES AS THE BUILD?". But yeah - Woods saying he had to hide from the 24/7 camera crew because of how legit mad he was about that match.

I think the last one I listened to (maybe it was the same one as the Mania one) was them talking about the Elimination Chamber show with the first Tag Team EC match where the talked about how shitty the IC title chamber match was on that same show. (Mainly due to Wade Barrett having already checked out of the company and not giving a fuck).

Speaking of Barrett - not surprisingly, them (and many of the other wrestlers) were not pleased when Barrett would do his Bad News gimmick during their matches.

I am probably gonna skip all the episodes that are on that Best TV show thing they were doing since the Hot Chip Challenge is probably the only thing worth hearing and they put that clip up on Youtube.

The TV episode is very funny. Not really something to take too seriously. Three friends with different tastes that goofily act petty about their favorite shows being voted off. Voting Tournaments by committee generally don’t produce the best results, but the whole thing is pretty funny. I listened to it a second time with my wife and we had fun playing along. 

1 minute ago, OctopusCinema said:

The TV episode is very funny. Not really something to take too seriously. Three friends with different tastes that goofily act petty about their favorite shows being voted off. Voting Tournaments by committee generally don’t produce the best results, but the whole thing is pretty funny. I listened to it a second time with my wife and we had fun playing along. 

As the board has often proved. 

• Haha 3

Did Raven ever get back to going through his career chronologically on his podcast? He spent a couple of months doing that years ago and it was great but then he went back to the talking about random shit style of show and I've barely listened since.

6 hours ago, Godfrey said:

IIconics on New Day pod today and there’s zero talk of boom boom music, just fun stories.

Much like the Danielle Fischler one last week - they are putting up longer clips (This one is 10 minutes long)

Bischoff can be a little grating and there’s certain shit he still is clueless about (defending the finish of Nash vs Goldberg, thinking a clean finish would have been pedestrian) but if you are a WCW then 83 Weeks is a fun listen an inside look into the hottest point in wrestling in the hottest show in wrestling. I also don’t have a problem with Conrad like some do, he doesn’t bother me.

This week they are discussing TNA’s Sacrifice 2010. The TNA stuff has been very interesting.

Suge D interviews Beyond Wrestling promoter  Drew Cordeiro (aka Denver Colorado the person not the place). But first, he does a long intro giving his thoughts on the current World situation, the AEW empty arena shows and being Pineapple Pete.

20 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Bischoff can be a little grating and there’s certain shit he still is clueless about (defending the finish of Nash vs Goldberg, thinking a clean finish would have been pedestrian) but if you are a WCW then 83 Weeks is a fun listen an inside look into the hottest point in wrestling in the hottest show in wrestling. I also don’t have a problem with Conrad like some do, he doesn’t bother me.

This week they are discussing TNA’s Sacrifice 2010. The TNA stuff has been very interesting.

I rarely listen to 83 Weeks because Bischoff is always full of shit and at some point in the podcast he starts overly bashing Meltzer for the dumbest reasons. That's usually when it comes to most WCW stuff and especially WWE stuff. The TNA stuff on the other hand is pretty interesting. Also, I don't mind Conrad at all. He's fine.

Bischoff does go in on Dave when he shouldn’t. He is very defensive of sons of WCWs stupider shot even 25 years later. I’m a big a WCW fan especially the 96-98 when Nitro was the hottest show on earth so it’s a fun listen to me. But Bischoff is a tad wound up but it’s still an enjoyable listen.

Slim chance but I thought I'd ask just in case... Does anybody know what episode of Cornette's podcast from early on in the show's run in which Jim details in hilarious details Bill Dundee bailing on a motorcycle on the way to the ring in Memphis? I remember laughing so damned hard at that story and it came up in conversation with friends and none of them had seen it. Did MLW get rid of the old Cornette shows?! Nothing on their website. Oldest episode I can find is 136 elsewhere and I reckon that was when he left MLW? Can't find it on YouTube either.

Edit: Has he maybe gone back and covered it again since switching networks? It's one of the better stories I've heard him tell, so I hope there's some version of it available.

Edited by Oyaji