DVDVR Message Board

2020 Wrestling podcasts thread

Rev Ray

Not sure how Alvarez is a jock sniffer when he actually wrestled.  While Bischoff had to essentially pay wrestlers to hang with him.  You know, actual jock sniffer behavior.  

Bischoff is such a sad character.  Calling his podcast “83 weeks” is like Al Bundy having a podcast called “Five Touchdowns.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Late to the party but Kendricks promotion (via New Day pod) sounds like the greatest shit I’ve never seen and now I’m going to go down the Wrestling Pro Wrestling rabbit hole 

Same here.  I subscribed to the show's Youtube page but only flipped through one episode.  It seems like some pretty wacky stuff that might be worth watching while imbibing.  Then again that's what Hoodlsam is for and I need to get back to checking their stuff out.

Might be some interesting stuff about our podcast on the latest Keepin It 100

IF IT DIDN'T GET CUT AGAIN

More importantly, part 2 of the Skip Chaisson interview is up, along with Eric Van Wagenen stopping in to chat.

Edited by Tromatagon

Alright, I will plug it: I will be on thee Cigars and Conversations with Derek St, Holmes Esq, podcast tonight at 8:00pm CST, also  featuring Mr. Jay G. I guess I am the expendable pity pandemic guest so I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. Search for it, I dunno how these things work - watch it live or listen to it later. I may or may not be high...........

.......on wrestling, that is (and/or COVID19, and/or looting, and/or bipartisanship, and/or pain meds). I will drop names and name drop(kick)s.

-ciao, my lovelies,

RAF

• Like 2

listened to FTR on Cornette's podcast. for anybody wanting to check out the interview but not the rest of Cornette, it starts around 1:23. 

I've seen very little of their NXT/WWE stuff, so i really have no preconceptions on them. Between this and Jericho's pod, they sound like great guys. Hard workers, good company guys, great wrestlers, non-selfish. pretty much exactly who you would love to have under contract.

that said, towards the end, they talk about how they have serious heat with the Bucks (over the origins of the FTR stuff). And how it might be something that leads to a real fight, and they would beat down the Bucks. I don't buy it at all. I'm sure it will come out that they sat down with the Bucks and hashed it all out or whatever, but come on. These guys spend an hour talking about how they want to revive tag team wrestling, and improve it for the company (WWE) and the fans, and they're going to assault these two other guys that a running a rival wrestling show and are alternately called the 'best tag team in the world'. ridiculous take.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:18 PM, Technico Support said:

Bischoff is such a sad character.  Calling his podcast “83 weeks” is like Al Bundy having a podcast called “Five Touchdowns.”

this is the best analogy for Bischoff I’ve ever heard ?

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Like 1

I've listened to a fair amount of Cornette's podcasts during lockdown. Almost everything he says about modern wrestling has to be taken with a grain of salt because he's 100% part of that "well who gives a fuck about anything that happened outside of southern wrestling in front of 300 fans in Dog Hump, Tennessee" audience who will never ever give up that old chestnut, but I do enjoy a lot of his stories about the old days all the same. He does have all things considered a very strong memory for detail.

Shoots in wrestling actually being works is honestly nothing new so it doesn't bother me that much, really. I think my biggest beef with Cornette is how dismissive he is of a lot of women's wrestlers he isn't familiar with, but, I mean, he's a 60 year old southern guy. You can't put a hot pepper in your mouth then bitch your mouth is on fire, you know?

• Like 1

I think that's how most people view him, at least around here. His talking on anything that happened before 1997 = great, after 1997 = naw dawg. But I think his persona getting so out of hand has even spoiled the stories for the most part.

• Like 1

Honestly there's every chance it will wear thin in a couple weeks worth of youtube dives for me, but it's filled some time while I'm dealing with the utter bullshit of my basement being flooded. Any distraction is a good one. Especially since my usual distraction of real sports has been totally nonexistant lately for obvious reasons.

I was a Cornette fanboy until he got the reigns with ROH, then I understood how much of a fossil he is.

Could listen to him talk about the old days all day but it's pretty obvious to me he's just working everyone with his baseless opinions on current wrestling as it brings in listeners and creates controversy and is the only way to stay relevant

• Like 1

This week is going to be an interesting and important test for wrestling fans as this week's New Day podcast is a more serious tone talking about the killing of George Floyd and what they have had to deal with in their life.    the promo video of Big E is really powerful and really sad at the same time.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, hammerva said:

This week is going to be an interesting and important test for wrestling fans as this week's New Day podcast is a more serious tone talking about the killing of George Floyd and what they have had to deal with in their life.    the promo video of Big E is really powerful and really sad at the same time.

Powerful is definitely the appropriate word.  I still have a half hour left but I'm really glad they're doing this.  And to Odessa's point he was on Twitch and spoke with two others about this.  His part is the one that was uploaded to Youtube.

Also would like to point out on Lillian Garcia's podcast she has a discussion on this though I haven't checked it yet.  Last week MVP was on and he covered things from his own career to Shad Gaspard to George Floyd.  But he went really in depth on not just current events but how it got to that point.  I would highly recommend checking that out.

That new NWA women’s pod also did a current events pod last week. 

and the beginning of JC’s pod was current events related, but covered much of the usual ground (anti-gun, anti-POTUS) and presumably the folks that dislike him will point out the potential hypocrisy on display. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That new NWA women’s pod also did a current events pod last week. 

and the beginning of JC’s pod was current events related, but covered much of the usual ground (anti-gun, anti-POTUS) and presumably the folks that dislike him will point out the potential hypocrisy on display. 

I saw they put that up and have yet to check it out.  The one they did the week before on cyber bullying and Hana's death was really powerful and worth checking out.

While I've been watching some of the news I find that these episodes do a helluva job in educating you on the issues and they just happen to come from people I care about.  I would gladly show these to anybody whether they watch wrestling or not.  It can be emotionally draining but at the same time it's necessary for me to check out so I can try and understand more about this.

Xavier Woods was on Kinda Funny Games Daily last week and it was really good stuff too - while it was eventually talking about games, him and Blessing had a really good discussion of current events before then.

• Like 1