DVDVR Message Board

2020 Wrestling podcasts thread

Rev Ray

Eddie Kingston on Jericho's pod confirmed what I suspected - after the TNT Title match with Cody but before he signed with AEW, WWE did indeed offer him a contract. As a trainer at the PC.

Attn: Anyone who liked the Dad the Dad gimmick from the PWI500 thread. Here he is on a Podcast explaining how it all came about:

• Like 1

Another AEW wrestler was recently on the Doughboys podcast, one of my favorites because it's all about chain restaurants. Colt Cabana was on last Thursday's episode to review Potbelly's, a good listen if you ask me, not a huge amount of wrestling talk but it's in there. Joey Janela was on recently, as well. Generally, though, their guests are people involved in the comedy side of Hollywood.

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'm actually laughing at the idea of Eddie Kingston teaching people how to fit into the WWE Universe.

They'd almost assuredly have him teaching promo classes. The problem is, so much of what makes Eddie's promos legendary are that he makes EVERYTHING personal and emotional. Those are really hard qualities to teach neophytes. There's more, of course, like he's so great at setting the table for the emotion later on. But even just the use of his eyes is important. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

It would be funny watching some WWE folks cutting Kingston style promos, like Seth or Alexa or someone with a strong British or Aussie accent. 

Better yet, a 21-year-old fitness model or straight out of high school athlete that has little to no life experiences or failures to pull from that are at the heart of Kingston's promo style. 

• Like 2

I'm so behind on podcast episodes that I still need to hear both Kingston ones.

But New Day's doing their best all-time action action movie tournament.  I never heard such pain and anguish in a long time when they announced "Enter the Dragon" and "Bloodsport" as a first round matchup.  The freak outs, the hemming and hawing, the sorrow choosing one over the other.  I could just feel their pain, man.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I love Bloodsport, but that's easy as fuck. Bruce Lee vs. Jean Claude Van-Damme. What's there to debate in that?

I know, right?  But talk about pain and anguish you should have seen me when I heard who won that round.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Sad 1

On 8/31/2020 at 9:36 PM, odessasteps said:

Why yes, this is me talking to Ron Fuller about his novel, Bullet Bob, hockey, mustaches in wrestling, Ron Wright and more.

Midway through this and it’s an absolute delight to listen to. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I already mentioned it in the monthly AEW thread but the Unrestricted podcast is an absolute joy to listen to. The enthusiasm and happiness that pours out of the people working for this company is making me psyched for pro wrestling on TV more than I have been in decades. 

• Like 1

Echo @christopher.anninowords on the AEW podcast and also, as I noted in that same thread, on the Busted Open podcast last week they had Santana and Ortiz the day after the Parking Lot brawl (second half of the episode, it’s quite a quick listen), they broke down their prep for the match and it got very real with Santana talking about his personal struggles. He’s potentially a huge face down the road. 

• Like 2