DVDVR Message Board

2020 Wrestling podcasts thread

Rev Ray

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

That was a great listen ????

Thanks. I didn't think I did a good job talking to Kriz (knowing he had yet another pod to do after we were done) but I was cool talking to my friend Jim, whom I've not seen in a good while.

Finally got around to checking out your podcast, @odessasteps. Very informative. The talk on not knowing different areas channel numbers was funny. I feel the modern version of that is which streaming service something is on. 

On 7/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, odessasteps said:

Thanks. I didn't think I did a good job talking to Kriz (knowing he had yet another pod to do after we were done) but I was cool talking to my friend Jim, whom I've not seen in a good while.

You did good, man. I liked the relaxed vibe. Felt like an actual conversation as opposed to just Q&A. Good call bringing up Georgia on his YouTube. 

Jim convo was fun. Can’t go wrong pulling a Simmons. 

On 7/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, odessasteps said:

Great show, first time I've checked it out.  As a kid who grew up in Baltimore, your discussion of channels 45 (Challenge, Saturdays at 4) and 54 (Crockett, Saturdays and Sundays at noon) hit me right in those nostalgia feels, as did talk of being PSYCHED about having a rotary antenna.  Living in Greektown in 90-91 and getting channel 50, who had wrestling every weekday at, I think 6pm, was the shit. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Great show, first time I've checked it out.  As a kid who grew up in Baltimore, your discussion of channels 45 (Challenge, Saturdays at 4) and 54 (Crockett, Saturdays and Sundays at noon) hit me right in those nostalgia feels, as did talk of being PSYCHED about having a rotary antenna.  Living in Greektown in 90-91 and getting channel 50, who had wrestling every weekday at, I think 6pm, was the shit. 

You lived in Greektown?  Well how about that.  My mom grew up there until she got married and I would go over many times to my grandparent's house.  That's mainly where I would check out WCW around noon.  Then you'd get a kung fu flick after that which was fun to check for the first 20 minutes (short attention span for anything else aside from wrestling)  I wasn't allowed to watch tons of wrestling at my house so it was nice when they'd let me watch over there.  While it's gone downhill a good bit I still loved living there for five years until I moved last year to Harford.

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Every time Semp is on the pod, we inevitably talk about 1980s Baltimore TV channels. 

80s Baltimore channels might be a tad early for me since I was 8 in '90.  But I'll have to check that out.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Lawler was on the Super Stud cast this week. A lot of it was familiar territory, but i didnt remember the stuff about his initial outlaw matches on shows running against rhe Memphis promotion, all while working for Fargo’s sign company and radio station. 

9 hours ago, Octopus said:

The Figure Fed on the Major Figure Pod is my new favorite thing to listen to. 2 eps of it are up. So fun.

I might give it a try but as much as I love the guys I can only listen to the main podcast they do.  And while I'm all about collecting stuff now the idea of guys in their 30s playing with them still feels a bit foreign to me.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

52 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I might give it a try but as much as I love the guys I can only listen to the main podcast they do.  And while I'm all about collecting stuff now the idea of guys in their 30s playing with them still feels a bit foreign to me.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Luckily it takes place on the same podcast feed, so you don’t need to subscribe to anything else. I enjoy their regular shows because I like their personalities, but I know little about action figures. Cardona is endearingly fussy and Myers’ balances out calm reactions makes it a fun listen. 

The Fed episodes are enjoyable for me because they get super pumped up about these fantasy bookings. Listening to it, it comes off more as likable nerds fantasy recapping a show as opposed to the toys themselves. Broken up into tv spot segments and a time limit to get everything in, it can get really funny, unintentionally. 

Also it is cool seeing their mind for the business through this. Myers being more into the wrestling matches with an added love for ECW wrestlers and Cardona being a fan of sports entertainment and wanting more promo segments. Matt half-jokingly quotes Russo (I think) by saying “I’m booking a television program” a lot. 

The main reason why I love it is how much fun they’re having. Moments in both the episodes where they are just cracking each other up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Luckily it takes place on the same podcast feed, so you don’t need to subscribe to anything else. I enjoy their regular shows because I like their personalities, but I know little about action figures. Cardona is endearingly fussy and Myers’ balances out calm reactions makes it a fun listen. 

Oh, I love the main show a lot.  Heck, they're the reason why I got so many Hasbro figures and most of the AEW figures the past couple years.  If not for them who knows how much I'd have that itch to do so.  Their personalities are great and you get their love and mind for the business in these episodes.  I'm just hoping that the fig fed stuff isn't a bridge too far for me.

• Like 1

Anyone know where you can actually download episodes of the big wrestling podcasts and burn them to a cd? I used to just do it through iTunes but ever since they split it up and I was forced to get their piece of shit podcasts app instead (I have a Mac - latest software update forced it on everyone) I haven't been able to, and I can't seem to do it through that app (when it doesn't keep popping up with a "Please log in" prompt every 3 seconds). I drive over an hour each day so I like having them on CD so I can just pop them into my cd player and listen while I drive to and from work. I don't want to stream them through my phone or anything like that either. Just wanna burn them to CD so I can listen to them on my drive. Anyone got a suggestion for me where to download them? I'd mostly be interested in Conrad's shows, AEW Unrestricted, Sean Mooney's show and Jericho's show as those are the ones I listen to most regularly. 

Edited by BrianS81177
spelling/grammer errors