DVDVR Message Board

2020 Mania Week Shows

RIPPA

This almost the same time we started last year's thread and since "big" announcements are starting to happen. Might as well start this up

Will Ospreay has been announced for both Joey Janela's Spring Break and WrestleCon's SuperShow 

This will be the first year since 2015 that I have not traveled into town for Mania weekend but I am still planning on taking Thursday and Friday off that weekend to take in that weekend's indie show action from my couch. Has Fite.tv tipped their hand yet as to what their bundle viewing packages will look like? If I remember correctly feds that had agreements with IWTV last year also streamed live to subscribers and WrestleCon-affiliated events streamed to Highspots subscribers on a "next day" delay. 

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Not a show, but apparently they are having the next CWF fanfest during Mania week. And they are teasing a possible meeting between Ron Fuller and Bob Roop. 

In case the significance of this might be lost on anyone...

• Like 1

(DDT &) TJPW have announced for April 3rd in Tampa, with Yuka Sakazaki on the poster. Hopefully AEW books her for Dynamite whole she's stateside.

13 hours ago, Eivion said:

So when did Wrestlemania become a general wrestling festival that all the indies jumped in on?

ROH started doing it in the mif-00's. By 2006, they were running a full three show weekend (Friday night in Detroit, Saturday night and Sunday early afternoon in Chicago) around Mania.

Then when Gabe left, he started booking DGUSA shows on the weekend as well. And it just kept growing from there. I think the Orlando show peaked with well over 100 events a few years ago, and the last couple had less but still a lot. Looks like we're going back up.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:13 PM, Eivion said:

So when did Wrestlemania become a general wrestling festival that all the indies jumped in on?

2008 is the probably the first year where the number of companies running on the weekend was more than 2 or 3.  Otherwise known as the good old days

Right now the early contender for the Blackcraft award for WM Weekend promotion that are just dumb for running is Crab Wrestling in Maryland.  I mean granted it is a brewery show so maybe the cost isn't terrible but they were barely getting 55 people at their last brewery show IN VIRGINIA

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hammerva said:

2008 is the probably the first year where the number of companies running on the weekend was more than 2 or 3.  Otherwise known as the good old days

Right now the early contender for the Blackcraft award for WM Weekend promotion that are just dumb for running is Crab Wrestling in Maryland.  I mean granted it is a brewery show so maybe the cost isn't terrible but they were barely getting 55 people at their last brewery show IN VIRGINIA

I didn't know Old Ox was having shows there again.  I wonder if @RIPPA checked them out yet since that's relatively near him.  But having it WM weekend is a very bold (though not wise) choice.

I haven't gone to any of the Crab shows there mainly because the marketing for them is more lowkey so I never hear about them until after the fact

That being said - Old Ox holds MAYBE 100 people for a show so adjust your expectations via crowd size accordingly.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 3:09 PM, DreamBroken said:

I was waiting for this to get mentioned in the Impact thread but then I peak in here and wait the hell I'll bring it up. I'm curious about this show, whose available? AJ, Joe, Roode, Young, Jarrett, Dutt, Abyss, Killings, Roaddogg, Christion, Xavier Woords, Gunner, Mia Yim, Sting, Angle, Xavier Woods, Christian, Jeremy Borash, The Hardys (as of right now), Alex Shelley (maybe?) The Kanellis', EC3, Lashley, Spud and I'm sure others are all signed by the WWE. Angelina Love, Velevet Sky, Bully Ray, Jay Lethal, Kenny King, and PCO (X) are all signed by ROH. Taz, Jerry Lynn, Billy Gunn, Daniels and Kazarian are signed by AEW, Cody, Brandi, Scorpio Sky and Trent all had cups off coffee's in TNA. Others were signed when they were Impact so it doesn't count. Steiner, James Storm, Aldis, Sandow, ODB, Marti Bell, Crimson, Murdoch, Kingston, Homicide, Anderson, Marti Belle, Kay, Pope and ODB are signed by the NWA. TJP, Rhyno, RVD,  Cody Deaner, Eddie Edwards, James Mitchell, Joey Ryan, Don Callis, D'Amore, Don West, Johnny Swinger, Ken Shamrock, and Tommy Dreamer all work for Impact. Maybe ROH, NWA and AEW will allow talent to do the show. They could make it work. If they get Don West and Mike Tenay to do commentary i'll buy the show.

• Like 1

If they get Dixie Carter and Vince Russo go show up to this, that crowd is gonna riot when they come out. Fuck they should just try to book Russo vs Cornette. They main event with that. Hottest ticket Mania Weekend.

Book it as a train wreck and it will be the greatest show ever. We need a 6 sided ring.

Edited by Web Conn

Midget jerking off into a trash can. Make it happen! 

And I'm sure Vince would let them have Hogan. Well, maybe not.

EDIT: Here's that ridiculously long Wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Impact_Wrestling_personnel

And here is the TNA albums. I thought they meant "alums" and someone misspelled it. No. TNA has a total of 17 released musical albums. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Impact_Wrestling_albums

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I hope they don't do it as a big reunion show anyway.

Just have the six sided ring, run a King of the Mountain match and maybe Six Sides of Steel and Ultimate X.

Me too. Tenay and West calling it, Callis as one night Director of Authority, 6 sided ring, King of the Mountin everything you said would be tight. Hopefully Anthem being in charge now they folks who were burny by Dixie will come in cuz the Carters are not involved in any way any more.

• Like 1