DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 1/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

NXT is setting up a ton of stuff tonight.  On the agenda: 

• NXT North American Championship No. 1 Contender’s Fatal 4-Way - Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic vs. Cameron Grimes vs. Damian Priest

Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Tournament First Round:

• Undisputed Era vs. Gallus
  • Imperium vs. Forgotten Sons

What's next for NXT Women's Champion Rhea Ripley

Dug the six women tag and Imperium vs. Forgotten Sons a decent bit.

Mia/Kayden was ok. Was nice to see Green officially debut Have no idea who Robert Stone is and am sad he debuts before Bivens.

Fatal 4-way had plenty of fun moments. Lee needs to destroy Strong.

Never seen the Timesplitters before, but I'm looking forward to their match next week. 

Will be interesting to see who wins the women's battle royal next week.

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Dug the six women tag and Imperium vs. Forgotten Sons a decent bit.

Mia/Kayden was ok. Was nice to see Green officially debut Have no idea who Robert Stone is and am sad he debuts before Bivens.

Fatal 4-way had plenty of fun moments. Lee needs to destroy Strong.

Never seen the Timesplitters before, but I'm looking forward to their match next week. 

Will be interesting to see who wins the women's battle royal next week.

Robert Stone is the former Robbie E. in TNA. He was part of a tag team called the BroMans. The third member of the BroMans was their DJ, DJZ, now known as Joaquin Wilde.

I don't know if you subscribe to New Japan World or not, but there is enough of the Time Splitters to familiarize yourself with on there. It's cool to see Alex Shelley make it to nxt, even if it's just for the Dusty tournament.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know if you subscribe to New Japan World or not, but there is enough of the Time Splitters to familiarize yourself with on there. It's cool to see Alex Shelley make it to nxt, even if it's just for the Dusty tournament.

I do not at the moment. I was watching NJPW via AXS. 

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's the best 9 bucks and change a month you could spend.

Considering the saturation of content at the moment, I would say this is highly dependent on the taste of the individual fan. I'm not sure I'd rush Eivion into that recommendation, no offense meant to anyone. Just judging on some of the taste I've seen them express. 

Anyway, I won't catch any of the show till tomorrow or later. Who's Ripley's likely next challenger? 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

31 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Considering the saturation of content at the moment, I would say this is highly dependent on the taste of the individual fan. I'm not sure I'd rush Eivion into that recommendation, no offense meant to anyone. Just judging on some of the taste I've seen them express. 

I probably will subscribe eventually, especially if they are carrying 80s content. I'm more waiting for when I know I will take the time to actively watch. The current stuff I'm not quite into enough to make it worthwhile with how far I tend to fall behind though I do mostly enjoy what I catch.

34 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Anyway, I won't catch any of the show till tomorrow or later. Who's Ripley's likely next challenger? 

There are no obvious choices at the moment.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

TIME SPLITTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIME SPLITTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Dusty tournament may be the thing that causes me to favor NXT over the next few battles in the WNW.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I had a feeling it was Shelley but damn did that feel nice seeing him advertised.  I personally would have had him as a surprise for maximum freakout but it still led to women audibly losing their minds.

Enjoyed of what I saw so far from the episode though haven't seen the main event yet.  The opening segment is a trope that I've seen too much on the main shows but it did lead to a fun tag match.  I liked Candace's post-match stuff as she made it known she wants the belt but still felt bad when caught staring at it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

They set up a battle royal next week to determine the next number one contender. Which seems like a fairly decent way to cut through the depth of the roster and crown someone to me. And make no mistake, this is the deepest female roster in the planet. 

Here's a thought experiment I was playing with... if you ranked the NXT women with the AEW women, when would the first AEW woman pop up?

3 hours ago, Peck said:

Stop doing the Keith Lee rising-from-the-ashes spot weekly. Make it special.

I haven't seen it yet but just knew they were going to do that.  I'm just hoping that they at least don't find some wacky way to have him do that in singles matches.  But I should know better than to hope for that.

• Like 1

The Alex Shelley announcement makes me irrationally happy. I assume it's just for the tournament, but it would be awesome to see him come in as an Ohno-style player/coach.

Beyond that, this tournament definitely shows how weak the NXT (US) tag division is compared to previous rosters. Aside from the tag champs, there's exactly one regular, named tag team in it, and they lost. They really need to take a few of the newer or ready-for-a-repackage dudes - Joaquin Wilde, Dexter Lumis, Riddick Moss, Kona Reeves - and get them on television as gimmicked teams. Best case scenario you get another Street Profits, worst case you get a Buddy Murphy out of the deal.

37 minutes ago, w. josh said:

Best case scenario you get another Street Profits, worst case you get a Buddy Murphy out of the deal.

Buddy Murphy?  The same one that's killing on Raw in a feud against Aleister?  That's definitely not a worst case situation IMO.

Now the other guy is Wesley Blake and he's not exactly lighting the world on fire as part of Forgotten Sons.  No offense to him but I'd have him as the worst case.

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Buddy Murphy?  The same one that's killing on Raw in a feud against Aleister?  That's definitely not a worst case situation IMO.

Now the other guy is Wesley Blake and he's not exactly lighting the world on fire as part of Forgotten Sons.  No offense to him but I'd have him as the worst case.

That's what I meant - even if you don't get a viable tag team out of the deal, you give a guy like that a chance to emerge.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, w. josh said:

That's what I meant - even if you don't get a viable tag team out of the deal, you give a guy like that a chance to emerge.

I figured you meant Wesley.  Poor guy's definitely been the Marty to Buddy's Shawn.

Oh, and sorry if I sounded condescending in that last post, honestly didn't mean to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I figured you meant Wesley.  Poor guy's definitely been the Marty to Buddy's Shawn.

Wesley is a good tag worker.. He has just bee given shit to work with in Forgotten Sons (the gimmick I mean).

• Like 3

It's too easy to forget that Blake is a legit good wrestler ?

The Fatal 4-Way was so freakin fun to watch. I absolutely love Grimes, he held his own in a ring full of giants and at the same time made them look like aces.

EDIT: maybe this maybe like an on-screen tryout for Shelley? Kushida really has no anchor right now, a proven tag team maybe the way for him.

Edited by turk128

20 hours ago, w. josh said:

They really need to take a few of the newer or ready-for-a-repackage dudes - Joaquin Wilde, Dexter Lumis, Riddick Moss, Kona Reeves - and get them on television as gimmicked teams.

Both Reeves and Moss were on NXT:UK last week - Moss as part of new-to-TV team the Outliers with a renamed Dan Matha.