DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, caley said:

But as for redefining the role, he's not Zelina Vega.  There is a manager who accentuates everything about the match she's involved in, whether it be reacting to Andrade's offence, fearing for her charge when he's getting hit with moves, calling out the referee for "slow-counts", reacting in disbelief at near-falls, or celebrating victories.  I think she's the best manager in a long, long time.

giphy.gif

She's the best.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's Excalibur's role. He's the guy that knows modern wrestling, indie wrestling, etc. Similar to Mike Tenay in the early days of Nitro being the guy that knew the luchadors and Joshis.

Right but nobody at home is saying "Ohhh... that Dr. Luther..."   tell us why he's important and why we should care about it.  

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Right but nobody at home is saying "Ohhh... that Dr. Luther..."   tell us why he's important and why we should care about it.  

"That's Japanese wrestling death match legend Dr. Luther" is telling you who he is (and, yeah, legend is a stretch, but he's trying to get the guy over.)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's Excalibur's role. He's the guy that knows modern wrestling, indie wrestling, etc. Similar to Mike Tenay in the early days of Nitro being the guy that knew the luchadors and Joshis.

It’s not a good role if it’s the intent to have people debut as a surprise and for them to be mysterious.

”That’s the Blade...That’s the Butcher”

”Who?”

No further explanation.

It would have been better if they just described them, “wow, that’s a big guy, you  wouldn’t want to come across him in a dark alley.” than just giving off their names and confusing the audience that doesn’t follow the indies.

Even better would be vignettes hyping them in advance of their debuts. Hopefully, after the Dark Order and the Butcher and the Blade surprise debut flops, they’ve learned their lesson.

Hype up the indy guys you sign!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

"That's Japanese wrestling death match legend Dr. Luther" is telling you who he is (and, yeah, legend is a stretch, but he's trying to get the guy over.)

Why is a Japanese Death Match legend? What is the difference between an American Death Match and a Japanese Death Match? Why should I care?

At least for Luther the back of his head appeared in a couple vignettes, so maybe they’re slowly making progress.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

If you get the Pro-Wrestling dictionary and look up the definition of the word 'Legend', it quite clearly says "Any retired ex-Pro Wrestler". You don't actually need to do anything legendary, you don't need to break down barriers, to innovate, to excel, to win titles or carry companies, to become a Wrestling legend. You just need to wrestle, and then stop wrestling.

We do need a new term for retired wrestlers who actually are legendary though. Feels odd that Wrestlers who actually are legendary wind up in the same category as the Just Another Guy guys.

• Haha 3

I agree the BBB introduction was done badly.

I felt they very much fixed it here with Dr. Luther.

49 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Why is a Japanese Death Match legend? What is the difference between an American Death Match and a Japanese Death Match? Why should I care?

Well, a Japanese wrestling death match legend probably had death matches in Japan. 

You are supposed to care because of that word "legend."

I didn't even like this segment (well, Riho was fucking great in it) but Excalibur did his job just fine, and told us quickly who and what Luther is, and why him being there is notable.

I don't think anything spooky pervert related (Dark Order or anything associated with Nightmare Collective) is ever going to work.

BBB's debut didn't work and fell flat, but since then I think people have expected them to be more than just jobbers when that's really all they're going to be for awhile.

Edited by Craig H

I think the Dark Order is working now, but they needed vignettes from the start. The Butcher & the Blade shouldn't have dropped a fall so quickly, and definitely shouldn't have had to eat Diamond Cutter's from a 63 year old DDP.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Excalibur explained who Butcher and The Blade were when they debuted. Pretty sure he name dropped Beyond and Bar Wrestling, saying they were a tag team in those promotions.

I rather be told that then some generic “oh man I wouldn’t want to meet him in an alley!” kind of bullshit 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Casey said:

Excalibur explained who Butcher and The Blade were when they debuted. Pretty sure he name dropped Beyond and Bar Wrestling, saying they were a tag team in those promotions.

I rather be told that then some generic “oh man I wouldn’t want to meet him in an alley!” kind of bullshit 

I don't think he did. Cody brought up Beyond and Bar Wrestling the next week in his promo. I think all Excalibur said we're their names over and over while JR jelly asking "who?"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ace said:

AEW is 1 for 4 in surprise intro bits. Wardlow as MJF's muscle worked. The Dark Order, the BBB, and Dr. Luther, did not.

This is my biggest gripe with AEW. Indy wrestling level angles. I like the Dark Order vignettes but closing out an episode with a jobber Tag team joining, using what could have their best women’s title match for the Nightmare Collective angle, etc

I do like the Butcher & Blade and there’s a place for them in the tag division, don’t have a problem with them taking a loss. Cody has to go through Wardlow next. And it led to Cody vs Darby II. 

I dig the Hangman story more than anything else at the moment. I’d love too see a Horsemen-esque stable with him leading, Tessa, Revival (March-April?)