DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would say they should do everything possible to sign Io and Kairi Sane as well. Both of their contracts are coming up and both would be a huge upgrade to the women's division. They also may be available before Tessa as well. I know there's the thought that Io and Kairi might both go to Stardom, but this is one of those times where it would make sense to shell out the big bucks for recognizable stars.

Io's contract likely isn't up for another year. Bushiroad has made it known they want both Io and Kairi back. Kairi is still in regular contact with Rossy Ogawa. The only reason Io might seemingly be interested in leaving is because of her fiancee in EVIL. If either leave WWE they aren't going to AEW unless they offer them ridiculous money, not big money, I mean so much that they basically can't say no. 

He's another guy that is a very good mechanic and high flyer but doesn't have much of a personality. They already have quite a few of those guys. I'm all for targeting hugely talented people like Io, Kairi, and those calibre. They already have a bunch of lower card players that are either in the process of getting over or need to get that going. Sorry for the similar post but there seems to be discussion of the same thing in both threads. 

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Io's contract likely isn't up for another year. Bushiroad has made it known they want both Io and Kairi back. Kairi is still in regular contact with Rossy Ogawa. The only reason Io might seemingly be interested in leaving is because of her fiancee in EVIL. If either leave WWE they aren't going to AEW unless they offer them ridiculous money, not big money, I mean so much that they basically can't say no. 

So you think the only reason Io might entertain leaving is because of her fiance, not because she's working more and getting paid less vs her time in Stardom?

Ooookay.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What's the risk in signing someone who grew up in a system that coaches better fundamentals than anyone? 

Not that I think she's available. 

Well they teach crossfit first and fundamentals of working second.  ?  But seriously, what I mean I feel like  is it's a matter of signing somebody who's only been exposed to one (very pedestrian) way of working from day 1, and being told that's the only correct way to work. 

• Like 2

She seems very smart, so I think she'd be just fine. I doubt she'd ever leave though. What a coup for whomever she signs with if ever she were to leave. At this point, AEW should be biting your hand off if any of the top WWE women were willing to give it a shot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Well they teach crossfit first and fundamentals of working second.  ?  But seriously, what I mean I feel like  is it's a matter of signing somebody who's only been exposed to one (very pedestrian) way of working from day 1, and being told that's the only correct way to work. 

I think you might be assuming a closed-mindedness that's probably not there. Just looking at some of the people in her life, her father is Ric Flair and she's engaged to a luchador -- I have a feeling she's been introduced to some of the virtues of rasslin' that isn't WWE. And that's to say nothing of what she's picked up just by being part of a locker room that features a great diversity of styles and experiences. 

Beyond that, let's assume you're partially right and she's really connected to the WWE style -- That can also be of benefit on this kind of roster. Some of my favourite matches involve performers who epitomize the style WWE coaches taking on people who are the complete opposite. That stylistic contrast and the narratives people have about these performers have great storytelling value.

The only thing risked by signing her is that her mean jock face is so entertaining the rest of the women's roster looks second rate by comparison. ? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I've seen it in multiple places now. Kairi's contract is up in March. Io's is up around then or a little after. "Da rumblingz" is that Stardom wants to sign both. Meltzer said recently that Io is unhappy and I tend to trust him when it comes to Japanese talent. 

EDIT: Or what Casey said.

Even if they do sign with Stardom I would think it's still possible for them to work AEW when they can.  So no matter what they win either way.

And with that I now badly want for this to happen.  Not to spite WWE but because they would really stand out big-time in AEW.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

So you think the only reason Io might entertain leaving is because of her fiance, not because she's working more and getting paid less vs her time in Stardom?

Ooookay.

She actually isn't working more than her time in Stardom and we have no idea if she is getting paid less still or not. I actually have no idea why Meltzer thought the former was true. Stardom has quite a few shows a year.

EDIT: I am curious though why everyone thinks fantasy booking WWE jumps will somehow fix AEW's women's division. The problems from what I've seen and heard have little to do with the actual talent of the women and more to do with the booking itself. Until that changes new talent coming in won;t do much no matter how good they are.

Edited by Eivion

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As talented as Io and Sane are, do they really need more joshi talent? 

More Joshi talent?  Yeah, I would say so.  Do they need those the caliber of Io and Kairi?  Absolutely.

• Like 1

If Revival were to sign with AEW the quality of their matches will go downhill fast. 

I've been on board with AEW from the beginning but the tag division has been nothing but disappointment so far. Not a single team feels like it has traction and all have been fifty fifted into oblivion. 

Lol at the idea of Tessa or Io or Sane joining the AEW women's division, let alone Charlotte. God knows what recognisable star would want to be a part of that garbage. Can you imagine if Mercedes Martinez had signed? She'd be aimlessly pissing about with strands of hair, playing second fiddle to Brandi and her TNA level junk.

Edited by scatterheart

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What's the risk in signing someone who grew up in a system that coaches better fundamentals than anyone? 

Not that I think she's available. 

Charlotte grew up in the New Japan Dojo? 

If the WWE PC is so good at coaching fundamentals, why does it produce guys like Enzo and Baron Corbin?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn. Strong numbers across the board for both shows especially when they both had a little bit of an off night or rather a building to the next week night. I just hope the numbers stay consistent next week and no one was turned off.

• Like 1

At least give credit to the numerous people you stole the joke from on Twitter.

Anyway, remember when Dave said AEW was in trouble and they were like late WCW in driving away viewers? Good times.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

At least give credit to the numerous people you stole the joke from on Twitter.

Anyway, remember when Dave said AEW was in trouble and they were like late WCW in driving away viewers? Good times.

Twitter steals everything from me.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Charlotte grew up in the New Japan Dojo? 

If the WWE PC is so good at coaching fundamentals, why does it produce guys like Enzo and Baron Corbin?

Enzo is probably uncoachable.  Not sure what Corbin's done wrong. 

3 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Jeopardy was on.

14.8 million viewers for night 2. Lead into Modern Family's biggest audience in two years. Eat your heart out, everything else on TV.