DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

It felt weird to showcase the whole Superbad team and showing highlights of Penelope ford doing in ring work but it was all against men.  I was there for her multi woman dark match, but has she even had 1 match on Dynamite?  She can go, I was at a live show and saw her Vs Baker and it was the Best work i've ever seen out of either.  Surprised we haven't seen more of Penelope's in ring. 

The show was what it needed to be; a pretty good show en route to what’s gonna be a great ppv. That said, they’ve gotta be on the lookout for guys & girls they can add to thicken the roster. There’s probably a dozen folks they could add in the next 3 months that would instantly add quality:

luke Harper

Tessa

Ivelisse Velez

Matt Cross

Tenille

tafka Kaitlyn

The Revival

Vance Archer

Marty Scuril

and the two that would be the most controversial but could potentially pay off the best; Enzo & Cass. I know, I know. But Cass is in fantastic shape and Enzo seems to have cleared his head. I’d bring them in, tell them they’re on the worlds shortest leash, then let Enzo go talk them into the building. He’d be a top three promo there from the day he walked into the door.

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention was the awful Arn promo, "we'll discuss it and get back to you next week."  They had a week to discuss it already.  Isn't this supposed to be presented as a a sport where the performers actually do exist outside the TV show?

Someone on reddit made a good point...we actually have three different "group tries to recruit someone and gets shunned/beat up by them" going at once.  That's two too many.  Combined with the aforementioned back to back fuck finishes, this shows how AEW really needs someone overseeing this stuff at a higher level.  It feels like segments/angles are booked in a siloed fashion with no attention being paid to the big picture.

• Like 1

Fuck no to Enzo and Cass. Sadly it sounds like the Revival may wind up re-signing with WWE or at least that's what the rumblings are. Is Kaitlyn even active? Matt Cross I don't know anything about. Tenille yes. Lance Archer fuck yes. Ivelisse yes (I swear I thought she was already signed). Tessa fuck yes, but I thought she's with Impact throughout all of 2020. Harper yes. Scurll yes.

And again, Io and Kairi are both coming up before Tessa's contract is up I think. It would cost a fuckton of money to sign Tenille, Archer, Ivelisse, Tessa, Scurll, Harper, Revival, Io, and Kairi, but I think if you do, you're pretty much set for all divisions and then I'd just focus on trying to, uh, woo Charlotte if she doesn't sign an extension. The problem with everyone under contract is that you can't even begin trying to negotiate or really talk to them about coming over until their contracts are up. I'm sure they'd want to sign Revival, Io, Kairi, and even Charlotte, but you can't even approach any of them and you're basically hoping that they all decide to not sign an extension.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuck no to Enzo and Cass. Sadly it sounds like the Revival may wind up re-signing with WWE or at least that's what the rumblings are. Is Kaitlyn even active? Matt Cross I don't know anything about. Tenille yes. Lance Archer fuck yes. Ivelisse yes (I swear I thought she was already signed). Tessa fuck yes, but I thought she's with Impact throughout all of 2020. Harper yes. Scurll yes.

And again, Io and Kairi are both coming up before Tessa's contract is up I think. It would cost a fuckton of money to sign Tenille, Archer, Ivelisse, Tessa, Scurll, Harper, Revival, Io, and Kairi, but I think if you do, you're pretty much set for all divisions and then I'd just focus on trying to, uh, woo Charlotte if she doesn't sign an extension. The problem with everyone under contract is that you can't even begin trying to negotiate or really talk to them about coming over until their contracts are up. I'm sure they'd want to sign Revival, Io, Kairi, and even Charlotte, but you can't even approach any of them and you're basically hoping that they all decide to not sign an extension.

They worked it out all the time back in the day. There’s enough unofficial back channel contacts through both companies that offers could be made without official tampering. And Enzo & Cass are giant tv personalities and AEW is a company that desperately needs tv personalities. Both guys have their flaws, but even given the beef with Joey Janela, do you really think Janela brings more to the table than those two?

13 minutes ago, just drew said:

They worked it out all the time back in the day. There’s enough unofficial back channel contacts through both companies that offers could be made without official tampering.

I'm under the impression that if someone's contract ends on, say, January 31, 2020, you can contact them absolutely any time and make them an offer that starts on February 1st.  It's the same as anyone at any other job having a contract position and interviewing for their next job while they're still under contract.

You can't do that in professional sports because there are tampering rules that are negotiated by the unions and owners. Those rules are specific to pro sports.  They don't exist in pro wrestling.

• Like 1

It’s not like tapping up doesn’t happen in pro sports. It’s just done “unofficially” thru third parties or agents and the like. Otherwise, guys signing at 12:01 on the first day of free agency wouldn’t happen. 

Edited by odessasteps

Picking up Enzo and Cass is a horrible idea.  Cass is not a good wrestler and beat up a midget when he was specifically told not to.  Enzo is a complete mess and nearly killed himself a few times taking a simple bumps because he's that untalented.  Who could they work with in AEW who wouldn't expose them?  I know Private Party have room for improvement, but they're worlds ahead of Enzo and Cass, who care so much about getting better at being wrestlers that they're barely taking bookings.  Also, "Enzo is a good promo" is a myth.  Enzo can spout creative catchphrases.  AEW needs something but these guys aren't it.

Wouldn't signing Charlotte, who has never known anything except the WWE system and style be a risk? 

As far as getting people ring time goes, why not throw some money at PWG to get some of the more green talent maybe one match per show there?  I don't think the fans there would shit on it and lord knows they're going to need talent to fill out cards.

Edited by Technico Support

46 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Someone on reddit made a good point...we actually have three different "group tries to recruit someone and gets shunned/beat up by them" going at once.  That's two too many.  Combined with the aforementioned back to back fuck finishes, this shows how AEW really needs someone overseeing this stuff at a higher level.  It feels like segments/angles are booked in a siloed fashion with no attention being paid to the big picture.

AEW is a bunch of bands getting together because they've had enough of the record executives controlling the music, man.  Then at the big concert, the bands all play Wonderwall one right after the other. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just like to add that I agree with Oyaji about running with Shida. She is getting over more and more each week in a company where much of the talent feel less over than they were months ago. I’d have to watch the match again, but she seemed to garner more of a reaction than Riho in the 4-way. Not exactly a hot take, but I’d love to see the division built around her as champion while Statlander continues to develop.

Craig brought up signing Kairi. I don’t have a subscription to Meltzer or Keller, is she not happy with her position in WWE?

He's said that Stardom are offering Kairi and Io some big money to come back. Io's engaged to EVIL, so it might not be too big of a stretch, and supposedly she was making way more money in Japan. WWE's idea to remedy that is to bring her up to the main roster and make main roster money (apparently that rumor about everyone in NXT making that kind of money once they went to USA either wasn't true or WWE hasn't held up their end of the deal yet). Kairi is supposedly unhappy and expressed interest in leaving to either go back to Japan or try out other places.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Necrosaro said:

Just like to add that I agree with Oyaji about running with Shida. She is getting over more and more each week in a company where much of the talent feel less over than they were months ago. I’d have to watch the match again, but she seemed to garner more of a reaction than Riho in the 4-way. Not exactly a hot take, but I’d love to see the division built around her as champion while Statlander continues to develop.

Craig brought up signing Kairi. I don’t have a subscription to Meltzer or Keller, is she not happy with her position in WWE?

I've seen it in multiple places now. Kairi's contract is up in March. Io's is up around then or a little after. "Da rumblingz" is that Stardom wants to sign both. Meltzer said recently that Io is unhappy and I tend to trust him when it comes to Japanese talent. 

EDIT: Or what Casey said.

Edited by Craig H

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Wouldn't signing Charlotte, who has never known anything except the WWE system and style be a risk? 

What's the risk in signing someone who grew up in a system that coaches better fundamentals than anyone? 

Not that I think she's available. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

1 hour ago, just drew said:

They worked it out all the time back in the day. There’s enough unofficial back channel contacts through both companies that offers could be made without official tampering. And Enzo & Cass are giant tv personalities and AEW is a company that desperately needs tv personalities. Both guys have their flaws, but even given the beef with Joey Janela, do you really think Janela brings more to the table than those two?

All do respect, yes I do think Janella brings more to the table.  I was there live for his match with Omega and it was great. Give him time and a decent opponent and he will deliver.  Look at his matches with Lio Rush for further proof.   I've known Matt Cross for 15 yrs and yes I'd love to see him on a bigger stage. Tough Enough dropped the ball when they could have had him.