DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

AEW Tonight... 

The Jon Moxley GTA V-Rampage Challenge.   How much damage can he do to THIS car when he actually says "no" to Chris Jericho?

2020-forg-gt-mmp-1-1568650124.jpeg?crop=

Also...

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Riho (c) vs. Kris Statlander

The Rhodes Bros vs. The Lucha Bros

Sammy Guevara vs. Christopher Daniels

Hangman Page/Kenny Omega vs. Private Party

Tribute to Memphis Wrestling Six-Man Tag - Jurassic Express vs. Best Friends & Orange Cassidy

I’m really hoping the list of Memphis stars expands to include Wildfire and the Superstar.  I wanna see Idol and Rich crotch post some fruit booty.  I just want to see the Superstar’s glorious mullet burns combo.  

And if they wheel the Ugandan Giant out there we may need to bust out the tissues.  

Also, surprised Koko Ware wasn’t on the list.  I wonder if they’ll have any old footage available for the show?  Or does titan sports own that catalogue?

The card as always looks to have potential.  Hoping for a strong Daniels performance.  He’s due.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

This was definitely the worst show they've done, by far.  The first hour was dreadful.  The fans just wanted a straight women's match and they got WWE-lite.  The Nightmare Collective should go away, like yesterday.  I don't give a shit about the bald, ugly fat death match guy with a cyclops eye painted on his forehead.  Who the fuck wants to see shit like this?  Brandi got set-up on commentary to explain the gimmick and totally beefed it, and she sounded terrible overall.  

The Dark Order stuff was a little better but they certainly overbooked the whole match and segment.  They could've just given Sammy the clean win, ditched Pentagon, and gotten to the same result.  The opener was decent and I'm glad they didn't pull the trigger on Page's heel turn yet.  He seems to be over as a face everywhere he goes but AEW does need some top heels.  Also, the Nakazawa angle redux was a hell of a lot better than last time.

The second hour was what the first hour should've been.  Most everything hit, with some good action, and clean stuff, with a little overbooking.  The Rhodes match was good, which should be expected.  The MJF/DDP thing was decent, and at least we got some Diamond Cutters.  What's the point of Wardlow if MJF also has the Butcher and the Blade?

The final angle was good but went a little too long, but that's ok.  It was obvious Moxley was swerving but I wasn't sure if it would go on past this show, and I'm glad it didn't.  Personally, I think he should get the belt and then build to Omega/Moxley 2.  Jericho has had it a good enough time.  The only real credible opponents for Jericho to lose to are Omega and Moxley.

• Like 3

The stuff that was good was really good. the 6 man tag was fun as hell and the crowd loves all of it.  The ending of the show was great although it took forever to get there.  

But fuck the bad was WCW level bad.  

I guess Butcher & Blade are a enhancement team based on how easily they got punked by DDP

It really is a contest between the Dark Order and Brandi's group on what is the dumbest shit in this company.   The Dark Order can actually work in the ring.  Unless this other women surprises people than the best one is a physically shot Awesome Kong.   Statlander is going to need something to stay over with Brandi's faction

"Japanese Deathmatch legend Dr Luther"  GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE  ?.  i could think of probably 10 more guys in FMW with a bigger legend status than Dr Luther. 

I don't have a problem with Arn turning on Cody because well the view never changes as they say.  But the idea that Dustin is going to stand there like an idiot while it is happen is kind of insulting.  I guess they figure most AEW fans didn't watch 1994 WCW

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3

Yeah I lol'd at his sleepy face. 

I still have no idea how the closed captioning came up with "Booker T" for PAC's name. In another funny mistake, the captioning likes to freeze on the last words spoken during commercial and at one point it just said "will be Ryback -- be right back", because it also likes to correct itself. 

The six-man was fun and the entire crowd rising for Orange Cassidy was fucking ridiculous. Rhodes/Luchas was underwhelming. Private Party is still sloptastic. Riho still doesn't look like a wrestler. 

Hager-Jericho.jpg

Chris Jericho is the best American-based wrestler of the last 30 years. What an absolute beauty.

There was definitely some good stuff, don't get me wrong but between the overbooked nonsense and the dead crowd I wasn't feeling it. They have to get rid of this nightmare collective dog shit immediately. It was clear from the first time Kong was in the promotion that she's completely broken down. If this were the Awesome Kong of 10+ years ago, they could maybe make this work but it's not and they can't. Just go away now. Dark Order has real potential and going after CD made a lot of sense. But the way in which that whole deal was executed was dumb and over booked.

I'll say this... It actually makes sense for Wardlow not to be taking bumps or getting into any fights but to merely be an intimidating presence until absolutely necessary. Butcher and Blade can be the heaters in the mean time. DDP IS IN A (6-man) MATCH! Pac vs. Darby next week! Seems like they'll bounce back in a good way next week.

edit: and holy shit did Private Party's soft as baby shit offense stand out more than ever against guys like Omega and Hangman who can make their signature strikes look lethal. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

Aside from the Nightmare Collective ruining the women's title match, I liked this episode. 

I'm on board with the Dark Order. I love them trying to get to Christopher Daniels at his lowest, with Uno proclaiming his fandom for Daniels. I assume we'll get an 8 man tag in the next few weeks with Uno/Grayson/Silver/Reynolds vs. Young Bucks/SCU.

The six man tag was a fun comedy match, but I can't wait until Orange Cassidy snaps and we get the holy shit moment that OC can wrestle.

I hate the Butcher and the Blade having to eat Diamond Cutters. "The Butcher" Andy Williams should have had no problem wiping out 63 y/o DDP. Hopefully B&B beat the snot out of Marshall; Dustin; and DDP, then let MJF score the easy pinfall.

I'm really glad they didn't stretch out the Moxley swerve. We all knew he was going to turn down Jericho anyway, and some things just don't need to be stretched out. I'm ready for Moxley going through the Inner Circle before hopefully winning the title from Jericho.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

TSN is playing the Omega Man documentary (not the Charlton Heston... classic). The Ibushi storyline is easily the peak of wrestling for me and I hope it's not finished. It's still so fucking depressing watching this come together and then they almost immediately separate again. For those outside of Canada, the documentary is on the forbidden Rutube. Can't recommend it enough.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The six man tag was a fun comedy match, but I can't wait until Orange Cassidy snaps and we get the holy shit moment that OC can wrestle.

They are introducing more and more straight up wrestling with OC one bit a time which I think works but yeah, he needs to flip the switch one day to make it really a moment to remember and coming out party.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Tweeted while in the ring when DDP was on the mic. He was so great tonight.

I thought that was the highlight of the show:  MJF on his phone while DDP cut his promo.

Can someone tell AEW to stop debuting people nobody knows by having them emerge from under the ring?  Surprises work when they are SOMEBODY.

And if that works, can you then tell them to keep Brandi away from a mike forever?  That was heel Michael Cole agony tonight.  

• Like 4

That crowd, while for the most part wasn't into much and kind of dragged some good matches down, really loved Omega. Was that the first time a Dynamite crowd has been more into Omega than Cody? BROTHER WAS OVER.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with this Nightmare Dogshit. Do they try to rehab it somehow? Do they continue to plow ahead like they have with little change? Or do they miraculously get it the fuck off the damned TV and cut it off before it continues to hurt their show too much? I usually really like Brandi on the mic but I had to fast forward until the bullshit ending of the match. 

• Like 1

I thought the Daniels/Sammy-Dark Order segment was actually really good, and was probably hurt by coming right after the Nighmare Collective travesty.  It weaved multiple storylines together, positioned DO back in the midcard where they belong, and actually had a solid three-act structure with a good payoff for Daniels.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I thought the Daniels/Sammy-Dark Order segment was actually really good, and was probably hurt by coming right after the Nighmare Collective travesty.  It weaved multiple storylines together, positioned DO back in the midcard where they belong, and actually had a solid three-act structure with a good payoff for Daniels.

It was exactly because it followed that heinous match/angle that it went over like a fart in church. Well that and there was just too much going on between Penta cutting a promo on a dude in the middle of a match. Otherwise I'm fine with it and that is definitely the type of stuff Dark Order should be doing. It was sad to see the Bucks come out and make the save and hear no pop though. Woof.

Memphis loved Omega, OC, Stunt (best he's looked in AEW), the final angle and nothing else.

• Like 1

I wasn't as down on the show as some of you, probably because I haven't been as up as some of you'd been other weeks. A few thoughts:

• Adam Page SSP watch: I don't think he did it. Did he do it while I was looking at my phone? I hope not. Keep up the good work, Adam. You look big and strong and I like it when you boot people in the face. 
  • Dear TSN censors who're laying on the button for the "cowboy sh*t" chant" -- Please f*ck off.
  • I haven't been paying too much attention to the women's division, but Brandi's stable f*cking around with both Riho and Kris was some bullsh*t. Also, the deathmatch "legend" getting bowled over by a Riho dive kills all the credibility he didn't have.
  • The Dork Order still sucks. Masked guy in the cheap blazer gives stagey promos, which is saying something with some of the amateurs in this company. 
  • Incorporating Daniels' botch into an angle was a nice touch. Was it a botch? I dunno. I'm second-guessing myself, which is ideal.
  • Cody's cutter is worse than Dustin's destroyer. Match was good though.
  • Liked Arn cutting Cody off, because he probably knows his man's enough of a dumb-*ss to agree to MJF's request for 90% of the heel stipulations known to man.
  • DDP-MJF segment was good. I know they gave Cody the out by suggesting he was in the trainer's room, but it's weird that Dustin still made it out there. Otherwise, no notes.
  • Six-man tag was good. Even the people I'm not a huge fan of didn't embarr*ss themselves. 
  • Darby vs PAC will be good. MJF and friends vs Cody's job boys should also be good.
  • Hope Moxley destroys the car next week. Also smart of them not to let anyone get too over on Hager in a nothing segment, even though he'll likely still amount to nothing once the b*ll r*ngs. 
  • Like 1