DVDVR Message Board

2021 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

odessasteps

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Anyway, Wild Wild West had the best theme.

You know, in a movie with a lot of problems, the big screen version’s biggest sin might be the awful arrangement they used for that song in the opening credits. I mean it’s that or the racist/ableist puns. 

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

IRIP Robert Conrad

Telly Savalas is amazing in this “we’re talking 10 grand baby” and tipsy Howard stirring shit up while also hitting on the ladies is a hoot. 

They used to make Bob Conrad come out and talk about this incident every time he was on Battle after this, you can tell he was still pissed about it. 

• Like 1

RIP Paula Kelly, veteran film, TV and Broadway star who most of my generation remember for playing the first public defender on "Night Court" (pre-Ellen Foley and Markie Post) ...

She earned an Emmy nomination for her work on "Night Court," but left the show after one season for unknown reasons.

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, colonial said:

RIP Bob Cobert … legendary TV and film composer. You may not know the name, but you know his music ...

Night Stalker was my childhood intro to horror.  I loved that show.  I always got pumped when I heard the intro on Friday nights.

RIP.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:16 PM, Curt McGirt said:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3605777/r-p-brazilian-master-horror-jose-mojica-marins-passed-away/

Rest in Peace, Ze do Caixao. Thank you for the memories and the miseries...

39343752-1402.2003-divulgacao-reproducao

^^^Highly NSFW^^^

There are probably four or five of us on this board who know just what he meant to horror film. RIP to one of the greats.

• Like 4

On 2/25/2020 at 4:17 AM, J.T. said:

Night Stalker was my childhood intro to horror.  I loved that show.  I always got pumped when I heard the intro on Friday nights.

RIP.

I am old, so I recall racing home from 4th grade to watch Dark Shadows (and later, Strange Paradise). My parents couldn't understand why I wanted to watch a "soap opera". If only they knew...

• Like 1

The very first Fangoria issue I ever owned (the one with Jack Nicholson's Wolf on the cover) had an article on Mojica. What he did, making such strong material during a military dictatorship, was extremely dangerous and actually quite revolutionary in its own way. He also worked with next to nothing to create his dream, doing it totally DIY. The reason the footage I posted above changed into color from B&W was because that length of film was all the color print he could afford for the whole movie! And yet despite all this he became a folk hero and legend in his home country. 

Some of those films are among the most disturbing I've ever seen, too -- Awakening of the Beast and The Strange World of Coffin Joe, in particular. Very strong, and you know I drink my coffee black, so if it's hard to me...

• Like 3

Genre-TV and animation writing stalwart David Wise died of lung cancer at 65ish (we know he was born in 1955 but no birthdate was available anywhere I could find).  He got his start on Star Trek TAS, before working on Wonder Woman and Buck Rogers. He worked on He-Man, Transformers (he wrote the origin of Optimus and Elita and the bizarre final 3 parter), BTAS (the first Riddler and Clock King eps), and most importantly wrote the pilot and bible for 80s TMNT.