DVDVR Message Board

2021 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

odessasteps

Just saw that 70s and 80s character actor Timothy Brown recently passed away at age 84. Dementia-related illness.

Brown played Tommy Brown in Robert Altman's "Nashville" and performed the above song. He also played Cpl. Judson in Altman's "MASH" and was in the original cast of the TV version as Spearchucker Jones, only to lose his job when producers (allegedly) realized there were no African-American surgeons serving in Korea. CBS made it up to him (somewhat) by placing him in the broadcast booth for NFL games in 1973. (He was an NFL running back from 1959-1968, and is a member of the Philadelphia Eagles Hall of Fame and 75th Anniversary Team).

24 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

As mentioned on Anthony Cumia's podcast yesterday, Lee Fierro, the actress who played the grieving mother who slaps Chief Brody in the original Jaws has died.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/lee-fierro-dead-jaws-actress-coronavirus-covid-19-1202901067/

Got to give it to her, don't know if I ever saw her in anything else but I'll never forget that scene.

The O&A bit on Robert Shaw's Jaws speech is an all time classic. Funny that Anthony gets mentioned here, and with Carl Ruiz and Vic Henley passing within the past nine months, both were frequent cohosts with Opie, along with Sharrod Small, after Opie's split with Jim Norton. I wonder if Sharrod is looking over his shoulder.

They were all extremely popular though. I know I'll always remember him as Teasle first off. 

RIP

EDIT: I completely forgot he was in a whole season of Hap and Leonard. Dude played Willie Loman, Buford Pusser, Kublai Khan, and John Wayne Gacy (!). 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Dennehy looked to be in really bad shape on Rizzoli & Isles, so this isn't too surprising.

He rarely gave a bad performance, he was one of those character actors like Christopher Lee where, if the paycheck cleared, you're getting a quality performance without complaint, no matter how shitty the movie.

It would have been funny, however, if the headline read: Brian Dennehy, bad guy in Legal Eagles, dies.

Edited by Southside Jim

I think Dennehy is criminally underrated when given the chance to shine as a lead. Best Seller is a fuckin underrated movie with him in the lead with James Woods. I mean yeah, Sly was the lead in First Blood but if Dennehy wasn't such prick so convincingly then the movie doesn't work

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how many people will confuse Dennehy roles with Brian Keith roles today.

Wait, you mean Dennehy didn't star in Hardcastle and McCormick?  ?

I guess this means that Dennehy's character on The Blacklist is officially dead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

The first things I probably saw him were Silverado and F/X. 

Didnt know he played for the Columbia football (and rugby) teams. 

If you're familiar with Columbia's football team, its not something you brag about

James