DVDVR Message Board

2021 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

odessasteps

From Criterion:

We are saddened to announce the passing of a giant of American cinema, Melvin Van Peebles, who died last night, at home with family, at the age of 89. In an unparalleled career, Van Peebles made an indelible mark on the international cultural landscape. He will be deeply missed.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Sad 2

https://archive.org/details/1566981383

Frankly, I just feel bad after watching this. It's long, poorly shot, and negative. The last shot is like the evil version of Pink Flamingos. I understand what Melvin was up to, trying to make a film that was Black Revolutionary, but that was just done improperly to my taste. All the same, despite my thoughts, he did what he did and it is a triumph. 

RIP Tommy Kirk, age 79. 

Child actor for things like Old Yeller and the Shaggy Dog and later beach movies as a teen. 

MSTies know him for Village of the Giants and Catalins Caper. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Child actor for things like Old Yeller and the Shaggy Dog and later beach movies as a teen. 

I think I would have mentioned Swiss Family Robinson here before Shaggy Dog or beach movies ?

• Like 1

I just mentioned what i saw in the online blurb, except the MST stuff.

i had totally forgotten Walt Disney personally fired him when he found out Tommy was gay. And then Walt had to hire him back after Merlin Jones made so much money they had to make a sequel. 

Edited by odessasteps