DVDVR Message Board

2021 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

odessasteps

Fuck. I tuned in last night and they were actually doing questions on horror films. I also correctly guessed an answer as 'Botswana' and felt good about myself, too. 

RIP

EDIT: What's creepy is, I almost never watch Jeopardy. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

34 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

God fucking damnit.

I grew up watching Jeopardy, and my life’s dream was to go on that show. I don’t know if it goes on without him, or if it even can, but if I ever pull it off it will feel somewhat hollow without him there.

Fact: When Trebek shaved off his moustache in 2001, he did it in the middle of the day, himself, without warning the “Jeopardy!” producers. Renee was alarmed to come in and find him mid-shearing. He just felt like it, he says now. “And it got so much press, I couldn’t believe it. The wars with Iraq or whatever at that time, and people are all in a stew over my moustache. I have one response: Get a life.”

https://newrepublic.com/article/117694/alex-trebek-last-king-american-middlebrow

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 4

On 11/8/2020 at 11:03 AM, Super Ape said:

I grew up watching Jeopardy, and my life’s dream was to go on that show. I don’t know if it goes on without him, or if it even can, but if I ever pull it off it will feel somewhat hollow without him there.

It will be going on without him. They've got Alex's shows taped through Christmas day. After that, they intend to continue production, but no current word on who the next host will be. A lot of people think it ought to be Ken Jennings, but I don't think he has the chops. Then again, not a lot of seasoned show-biz people who are obviously the right fit either. Not a lot of Alex Trebeks just hanging around. But I'd prefer a Drew Carey-like figure to Jennings if I had a vote (no, not literally Drew Carey).

The show was successful by the standards of syndicated game shows regardless, but the James Holzhauer run and the GOAT tournament really showed there was still a strong commercial appetite for this show. So of course the show would go on. And it was also apparently Alex's wish.

Here's the introduction to Monday's show:

Trebek holds the record for most episodes of a game show hosted at over 8,000. He topped Bob Barker's 6,800+ back in 2014. Feels like an untouchable record. GOAT.

Alex-Trebek-and-Bob-Barker.jpg

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 12:05 AM, odessasteps said:

RIP Des O'Connor

Used to watch Take Your Pick with my parents and sister growing up. R.I.P. Des O'Connor. Thoughts with his family and friends xxx.

Edited by The Natural