DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

How are those companies deep in the red still alive? How did DDT lose so much more last year compared to 2018? Why did NJPW make less in 2019?

NOAH has been sold and bought 2-3 times in the last few years. that is how they are "alive." No idea on DDT. I'm curious where they are losing the money. i wonder if its the big shows they run once or twice a year that are hurting them.

Did people stop buying as much LIJ merchandise? Would that explain the offset. I'm sure it's not true (I remember reading ticket sales for big shows were slightly bigger without him) but I will just pretend the slight downturn in NJPW business was the loss of my sweet boi Kenny. 

Weren't those NJPW numbers available some time ago? Unless I'm mixing something up I think that explanation at the time was that NJPW invested more into USA market and that they had that Bushiroad's kickboxing thing grouped with them that was later added to Stardom and later sold entirely, I think?

Back to Gleat/BML for a second (I'm excited): 

Wasn't Maeda himself at ringside for the first BML show and then he backed out of endorsing it? Iirc he was there to promote Shibata or something. Anyway Gleat wouldn't have to produce a Maeda appearance to keep me interested, but I'm hoping they at least scoop up all the myriad semi-inactive BattlArts guys who are scattered all over the puro scene (is Ryuji Hijikata working anywhere these days? Katsumi Usuda? Ryuji Walter?? Guhhh I'd even take Keita Yano as a job guy...). 

• Like 1

GLEAT card (via purolove):

GLEAT "GLEAT VOL. 0", 15.10.2020 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

1. NOSAWA Rongai vs. Kaz Hayashi 
2. UWF Rules: Takanori Ito & Kazuki Okubo vs. Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Tanaka 
3. UWF Rules: Syuri vs. Yuu 
4. Soma Watanabe vs. Kenoh  
5. Super Dream Match: Jun Akiyama , Daisuke Sekimoto  & Shuhei Taniguchi  vs. Sugiura , Kazuyuki Fujita & Kendo Kashin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Control said:

GLEAT card (via purolove):

GLEAT "GLEAT VOL. 0", 15.10.2020 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

1. NOSAWA Rongai vs. Kaz Hayashi 
2. UWF Rules: Takanori Ito & Kazuki Okubo vs. Masakatsu Funaki & Minoru Tanaka 
3. UWF Rules: Syuri vs. Yuu 
4. Soma Watanabe vs. Kenoh  
5. Super Dream Match: Jun Akiyama , Daisuke Sekimoto  & Shuhei Taniguchi  vs. Sugiura , Kazuyuki Fujita & Kendo Kashin

What kind of twisted nightmare are they talking about? Akiyama, Sexymoto, and Sugi are cool tho. And only some of the matches are UWF rules? This is confusing and I don't see how starting a promotion up in the middle of a pandemic will work. Japan's cases are spiking again so we'll see how it goes trying to run a show in the middle of flu season. 

4 hours ago, Control said:

Has anyone seen Hayato Tamura? Is he any good?

I was actively trying to find some of his matches online earlier because I'm curious too and his name is frustratingly un-Googleable. Cagematch.com seems to insist he debuted only last year but the opening match of this HARD HIT show from 5 years ago seems to say otherwise: 

• Like 1

NOAH:
Tomorrow we will find out who the new M's Alliance member is. Masa Funaki? Masa Chono? Masayuki Kono? Minoru Tanaka? Maybach? Muhammad Yone?

BJW:

Minoru Suzuki vs. Takuya Nomura for BJW 's last show at the Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium.

Edited by D.Z