DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

The Dontaku parade event in Hakata has been cancelled. So far, NJPW hasn't cancelled this year's Wrestling Dontaku but with no parade, the number of people in the area during Golden Week severely decreases - some estimates say the Dontaku brings in two million people. Even if everything settles down by then (at this point it seems unlikely) I don't know if they would be able to draw two decent houses in a row.

13 hours ago, D.Z said:

The first CC show will now be in Shin-Kiba 1st ring with no fans. The April 29th show will move to 2AW Square Chiba with no fans as well.

I love All Japan, but for fuck's sake, running the Carnival without Korakuen and without fans...

Edited by Brian Fowler

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

The first 40 mins of the Fujita/Shiozaki match might be the greatest thing I've seen in wrestling.

Just have to wait a few days until next month to subscribe to the streaming service because of the weird Japanese billing practice where if you subscribe mid month you only get the rest of that month before being billed again

I just watched Nagata vs Yasuda from Strong Energy 2003. How the fuck did Tadao Yasuda ever pull off an incredible match like this? Yes, he still sucked, but seriously, you can't fuck up a Yuji Nagata match- he was like Flair, able to carry any stiff to a passable match. And just like Flair, the crimson flows in this match. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 9:22 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

This is the Jarmusch of puroresu. The Tarkovsky. The Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. This makes Larry Zbyszko look like Will Ospreay. MY GOD.

Fuck Tiger King, I want Netflix to do a 7-part series on that Fujita/Shiozaki match.

If you asked me which promotions are going to try something that there is no way they could get away with in front of a live crowd, I would not have guessed Pro Wrestling NOAH, even factoring in new ownership. 

15 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Fuck Tiger King, I want Netflix to do a 7-part series on that Fujita/Shiozaki match.

If you asked me which promotions are going to try something that there is no way they could get away with in front of a live crowd, I would not have guessed Pro Wrestling NOAH, even factoring in new ownership. 

For real though, promotions like DDT have always trafficked in the avant-garde. And Fujita's reign as King of Inokism did, too, albeit avant-ing in a way different garde. If Shiozaki/Fujita didn't have significant input from Sanshiro Takagi or Dino (or whoever else is involved in their booking) I'd be shocked. It's as perfect a recipe of creative talent + in-ring talent + social circumstance that you'll eat all year.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:54 AM, sabremike said:

Just have to wait a few days until next month to subscribe to the streaming service because of the weird Japanese billing practice where if you subscribe mid month you only get the rest of that month before being billed again

Is there a service with NOAH stuff attached to it?  I decided to watch the Fujita/Shiozaki match and I liked it and kinda want to see some more.

Edited by notoriusvig

11 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

Is there a service with NOAH stuff attached to it?  I decided to watch the Fujita/Shiozaki match and I liked it and kinda want to see some more.

DDT World (Same company owns both promotions).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Any news on Reika Saiki yet?

So far, nothing is decided yet. She might end up in TJPW again, but she could choose another promotion "to graduate to".

Glad to see people still remember and re-watch that Nagata/Yasuda match. I'm not the biggest fan of Nagata in that period myself (I prefer the older, grumpier Nagata of around 2007) but he carried Yasuda to a whopper that night. It's kinda ironic that the best Nagata match ever was his classic with Taue from around the same time---a match which is much less a showcase for Nagata than it is for Taue, and Taue being a guy who on paper has a lot of Yasuda's setbacks in terms of being an awkward, gruesome troll but was a genius at working around his own physical limitations. 

• Like 2

200607poster.jpg

Forget Mutoh--Hama back in AJ, baby!

I don't know the baldy at 8 o'clock, the handsome dude at 4 o'clock (Ashino?), or the masked man.

EDIT: masked guy is Andy Wu and the handsome dude is Takanori Ito (W1 guys). Is the bald dude Alexander Otsuka?

Edited by Control