DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

So, I'm watching Toru Yano vs Tajiri from the 2009 G1 Climax. My memory of Shin Nihon Puroresu in 2008-11 is a bit cloudy because I only got to sparingly watch it. Now, I know Yano was a midcard heel around this time, but when did he start to transition into the prankster that we know today? And was this why Iizuka turned on him?

4 hours ago, Pete said:

NJPW has now cancelled Sakura Genesis and the April 11 Road to Dontaku show in Kanagawa.

There was a K-1 show a few days ago with 10k (w/ masks) in attendance at SSA. Something tells me that people starting back running shows w/ fans right now are doing it out of financial necessity.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Other than economics, there's no fucking way that's a good idea. 

I thought it was haphazard that people were saying move Mania and UFC 249 to Japan. While it may not correlate directly with the Summer games and trying to escape postponement, here are the issues:

- If everything was fine in Japan, they wouldn't ask anyone coming from the states (and other countries) to do a fourteen day self quarantine upon arrival until the end of April.

- Despite the belief certain regions of Japan have had success containing COVID-19, you cannot possibly go knowing there is still limited testing in Japan. Certain cities have still experienced a spike in cases over the last week.

- Even if you're checking the temperature of spectators and handing out masks, the last thing you want is to have people sitting on top of each other for long periods of time. Seeing a few pictures from the K-1 show, a few people just said "Fuck it" and didn't have their mouths covered.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

Fuck yeah Wama!

So, I see that DBS Jr is travelling to Japan to enter quarantine and then mix it up during the Carnival. Valetta was there yesterday, too. Wonder if the British wrestlers, Joel Redman and Lucas Steel, can still make it.

The Tokyo governor is trying to shut down the city right now so pretty much all the shows at Korakuen have been more or less cancelled for the time being. Some are going with empty arena possibly because there was such short notice. No word on how this is going to affect W-1. Their last ever show is scheduled for 3/25. There was going to be a GAEA reunion show next month too.

• Like 1

I get that these companies are basically on a lifeline but health of an aging country > indie pro wrestling every single time (oversaturated as it is, the scene could probably use a culling of promotions - though that doesn't change my tune one bit. And yeah people losing their jobs would suck. Good thing Japan has a responsible government that looks after its people, oh wait.). 

8 hours ago, lostinube said:

Dropped these links in the Joshi thread but here are what's cancelled so far at Korakuen Hall for March and April:

March

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/hall/notice/341213.html

April

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/hall/notice/post_2.html

I'm way too amused at the ballroom dance shows on 3/22 and 4/5 mixed in with all the puro, boxing, kickboxing etc. Just imagine getting the wrong ticket...

• Like 1