DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

On one hand, WWE owning All Japan sounds awful.

On the other, Kento Miyahara coming to America and me possibly having a chance to someday see him live is intriguing... Except, of course, if he's forced to wrestle WWE style it'll suck.

14 hours ago, Control said:

Thanks.

Someone noted that Hartley Jackson returned to Z1, and he apparently is (was?) a WWE trainer for NXT.

Hartley has been gone from WWE for months, has been doing Aus Indies since October. Glad to see ol' Jacko back on Z1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Puroresu is dead, time to move on. So, how about that Kazakhstani Wrestling?

According to Alex Shelley, Madagascar Pro has the best wrestling in the world, including stars like Somalia Joe.

Yeah, it’s weird that the Japan wrestling scene is going through a massive period of change, and it’s dead in here.

In other news, I’d like one of these cushion covers:

AJPW cancelled the rest of their March shows. The Suwama-Kento show looked good, too. 

Assuming the CC still goes on as scheduled, I wonder if this affects the winner, since now Kento hasn’t broken the defence record yet. 

EDIT: Never mind, Apparently they’ve cancelled all shows except the Suwama-Kento show.

Edited by Control

Huh. There was word that BJW was in trouble, too. Apparently they had a fundraiser for their broken down trucks (that they use to transport the ring, etc) since they couldn’t afford to fix it, and there was also a good drive event for the wrestlers (?). I’m hearing this from Strigga. Which doesn’t sound promising.

So while I typically have a wait-and-see approach to rumours, I can see how, in this context, AJPW might welcome a backer with $, even the WWE.

Edit to add: I’m sure the smaller promotions are under stress from running fewer or no shows throughout March as well.

Edited by Control

I remember when Treasure Island mag in Japan would report about NOAH's monetary ills and woes for years and lesser so for Mutoh's era AJPW.  

Jun mostly runs AJP fiscally conservative, instead of lots of excessive spending like Mutoh did. Still having a big money backer would help greatly.

I could dig up more info about the state of the current business.

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I presume in some other capacity than in-ring? Because, you know, he's missing a leg. Not that that stopped Zach Gowen. 

He has a new one. Look at the picture one more time.

• Like 1