DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

It's a new year! Rumour is that Shuji Ishikawa is the new booker for All Japan. I don't know if that's true. What is true, in any event, is that the next big All Japan show features three (!) first-time title challengers. Fresh match-ups! In All Japan! Wild.

AJPW, 11.02.2020
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Susumu Yokosuka (c) vs Akira Francesco

• Akira is a skinny Italian guy who pinned Okada and Black Menso-re in the New Year's shows. He is crazy fast and very agile, but still pretty green and botch-y. Susumu Yokosuka is a Dragon Gate guy who won the AJ Jr. Heavyweight tournament. I've never seen him before, but he seems perfectly fine. This should be very different than the Iwamoto/Sato-style matches we've been getting for the Junior Title.

AJPW World Tag Team Title: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa (c) vs Shigehiro Irie & Lucas Steel

• Suwama missed the 1/3 show, but apparently he's good to go. Violent Giants are the perennial champs, and Irie & Steel are the new kids on the block. Both of them joined UTAMARO's unit within the last couple of weeks. Steel is a tall British guy who seems perfectly fine. I'm hoping Irie sticks around and makes it to the Champion Carnival.

Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs Yuma Aoyagi

• Aoyagi is the NEXTREAM dude who has been left behind after Jake and Nomura split off. He was Kento's partner for some of the best tags of the tag league. He suplexed Kento at the end of the 1/3 show, which was a great moment and a bit of a surprise. Good worker who hasn't really had many standout singles matches, so this is his opportunity to see if he can make a name for himself like Jake and Nomura.
  • This will be Kento's 10th defence, which will tie him with Kawada's record. Typically there's a March defence before the Carnival as well.
  • Another story is that all of Nextream has now abandoned Kento (though it's unclear if this is a straight-up betrayal by Aoyagi or if it will be more of a "sibling rivalry"-type thing.

Also, if I'm reading translated Twitter correctly, Nomura and Yoshida might have a match later this month, which would be swell. AJ should book Yoshida as much as possible. Fuminori Abe as well.

• Like 1

This is 2019 stuff, but I think is relevant for 2020 as well.

A bit surprised at that DDT number, thought that they were bigger. Anyway, can things change this year? Who can grow the most? My wild guess would be that Stardom is probably going to move past 50k number.

Surprised AJ is #3, actually (would have guessed that they were behind DDT and Noah, tbh). Guess their working with Dragon Gate is a good thing, then. I hold out hopes that they can get someone like Ben K for the CC this year.

AJPW, BJW, and NOAH are all doing better than I would have guessed. DDT is doing a little worse as I thought they were no. 3 for sure. I did not realize anyone was still arguing whether DG was no. 2. Like that hasn't been a real question for years now.

Not surprising with how he got the ring to himself at the end of the jiji match at the dome and how emotional he was. He's been more or less immobile for a while now but he had a pretty fun run from his G1 win to about 2004 or '05. Never did see his title win. 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, Control said:

AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Susumu Yokosuka (c) vs Akira Francesco

• Akira is a skinny Italian guy who pinned Okada and Black Menso-re in the New Year's shows. He is crazy fast and very agile, but still pretty green and botch-y. Susumu Yokosuka is a Dragon Gate guy who won the AJ Jr. Heavyweight tournament. I've never seen him before, but he seems perfectly fine. This should be very different than the Iwamoto/Sato-style matches we've been getting for the Junior Title.

That's a little bit of a no-sell on Susumu. He's a 22 year-old pro, founding member of M2K, and two-time holder of Dragon Gate's main championship. Surprised to see him as the guy spearheading an invasion of the AJPW Junior ranks as I have no idea how much he has left in the tank, but as far as I remember he's been Mr. Consistency since God was a boy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

Might be Kento vs Suwama after Kento vs Yuma.

Potentially a huge match. Assuming Miyahara wins against Ayoagi, that match would both be going for breaking Kawada's defense in a reign record and tie Misawa's total defense record

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kcm said:

I heard rumors of the Realhero Archive returning, but it looks like something happened. Anyone know the deal?

Mort stopped doing it to focus on himself and the other guy is a prevert?

Edited by Oyaji

Fuminori Abe joined JIN (AJPW). Hoping after tomorrow’s Singles match with Nomura, Ayato Yoshida joins as well (or another good option: vows a rivalry).

edit: excellent

Edited by Control
  • Like 1