DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

Hmmm, upcoming AJPW cards do not fill me with confidence re: another Zeus TC run:

Japan Pro-Wrestling - "RAISING AN ARMY MEMORIAL SERIES 2020" 

AJPW, 17.10.2020 
Osaka Edion Arena #2 

1. Hokuto Omori & Harutoki vs. Yuto Kikuchi & Tatsuya Matsubo 
2. Jake Lee vs. Ryuki Honda 
3. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Koji Iwamoto & TAJIRI vs. Atsuki Aoyagi & Francesco Akira 
4. The Bodyguard Return Match & All Asia Tag Team Title Skirmish: Kento Miyahara, Yuma Aoyagi & Rising HAYATO vs. Izanagi, Shigehiro Irie & The Bodyguard 
5. AJPW World Tag Team Title Skirmish: Shuji Ishikawa, Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura vs. Shotaro Ashino, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama 
6. GAORA TV Title: Yoshitatsu (c), Yusuke Okada & Chikara vs. Takao Omori, Black Menso~re & Katsumi Oribe 
7. Triple Crown: Suwama (c) vs. Zeus 

AJPW, 18.10.2020 
Kurobe City General Sports Center Sub Arena 

1. TOYAMA Black Menso~re vs. Hikaru Sato 
2. All Asia Tag Team Title Skirmish 3 Way Match: Izanagi vs. Hokuto Omori vs. Francesco Akira 
3. Takao Omori & TAJIRI vs. Yoshitatsu & Yusuke Okada 
4. AJPW World Tag Team Title Skirmish: Suwama, Shuji Ishikawa & Dan Tamura vs. Shotaro Ashino, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama 
5. Zeus vs. Chikara 
6. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Kento Miyahara, Yuma Aoyagi & Atsuki Aoyagi vs. Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto & Ryuki Honda 

AJPW, 24.10.2020 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

- All Asia Tag Team Title: Zeus & Izanagi (c) vs. Francesco Akira & Rising HAYATO 
- AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Koji Iwamoto (c) vs. Atsuki Aoyagi 
- AJPW World Tag Team Title: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa (c) vs. Shotaro Ashino & Kuma Arashi

*most important match bolded

Edited by Control

In other AJPW news, I am very excited (probably too excited) about the participation of Masato Tanaka and Abdullah Kobayashi in the RWTL this year. Masato should be able to make all those TAJIRI matches a lot more lively, and A. Kobayashi working against all the AJPW guys just sounds violent and fun and weird. If nothing else, Violence Giants vs Sekimoto and Abby should be pretty badass. 

• Like 1

AJPW

Suwama swears long term 5 crowns reign for his dead father who recently passed away. His dad supported his career and watched wrestling.

NOAH

Mohammed Yone celebration show will have mostly former BattlArts wrestlers in the main event. Also he could join Muto's faction.

Around 3,100 people can be seated. I am guessing they're waiting for Covid to blow over, hence the long gap of no shows. Daijiro Matsui fought in Pride, Pancrase and several other MMA promotions.

GLEAT plans to do spinoffs and other shows. 

• Like 1

I'm not that shocked it wasn't covered, but the weekly interview series with Tana on the NJPW site glosses over his stabbing from late 2002 with a little blurb stating that they're not going to talk about it. Did Tana ever give his side of it?

Finishing up with the Tana interview. He says this: 

–Inoki really pushed that concept of ‘Strong Style’. What did you understand Strong Style to be?

Tanahashi: I don’t think I ever really understood what it was. I think then, and now, I really just see it as just some words, branding. Marketing strategy really. A long way back, I did an interview with Inoki for Weekly Playboy magazine. I asked him just that same question, what Strong Style meant. He said ‘that? That’s just something everybody just started saying and it got carried away’ (laughs)

–That’s a very Inoki answer (laughs).

Tanahashi: But he was putting it out there, you know? I think if he really coined it, it would have been nice if he could take it with him when he left, really freed us from that spell of his. 

That really puts the lie to us believing Strong Style to be some specific, errr, style. 

That reminds me of what Stuart said when SSS was still a thing. Strong Style at its core basically doesn't exist outside of NJPW as its their own branding/marketing for whatever the style they are using at the time. It was never anything truly specific per say.

Biz Cliz 4 Lyfe
From a movie based on whatever this is.
The 34th NHK Asadora drama is Mio-Tsukushi. Locations include Choshi-shi, Chiba. The courageous and steadfast heroine of this popular serial drama, set in a port city in 1920s Japan, defies tradition to marry the man she loves. When he is lost at sea, she becomes the support of her family and others.
img_main.jpg

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

https://itrwrestling.com/interviews/interview-with-sanshiro-takagi/

Interesting interview with Takagi talking about DDT's start, their general business, talent in AEW, etc. Most interesting thing to me is that if they do further expand he wants a deathmatch promotion and a more traditional joshi promotion. If you're an AEW fan you will be happy to know he basically wants all of the roster to pop up there at some point.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1