DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2020

Control

How was that promotion still alive before COVID? They drew hardly any fans and a decent chunk of their wrestlers work elsewhere in addition to Zero1. For the love of God, call it a day and sign on with the likes of AJPW, DDT, and BJW. I need to see Yuji Hino work the other beefy boys on the regular. He's awesome. Last I saw, Ohtani still has some good matches in him. Tanaka is a freak (how is he still wrestling like it's 2002 after all the crazy stuff he did in FMW and ECW?). Sato to BJW if they can afford to take him on, right?

Upcoming AJ shoes look swell. At some point I need to catch up on their empty arena shows: 

-- 

AJPW "ALL JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING BROADCAST 2020 #8.5 ~ TURNING POINT", 10.07.2020 (AJPW.tv) 
Unbekannter Ort 
ohne Fans 

- 5th Asunaro Cup: Dan Tamura vs. Rising HAYATO 
- 5th Asunaro Cup: Hokuto Omori vs. Atsuki Aoyagi 

All Japan Pro-Wrestling - "SUMMER ACTION SERIES 2020" 

AJPW "FAN CLUB MEMBERS ONLY SPECIAL SHOW", 13.07.2020 
Shin-Kiba 1st RING 

- 5th Asunaro Cup: Hokuto Omori vs. Dan Tamura 
- 5th Asunaro Cup: Atsuki Aoyagi vs. Rising HAYATO 
- Takao Omori & Black Menso~re vs. Yoshitatsu & Seigo Tachibana 
- Yuma Aoyagi, TAJIRI & KAI vs. Shotaro Ashino, Kuma Arashi & Yusuke Kodama 
- Kento Miyahara, Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio & Francesco Akira vs. Zeus, UTAMARO & X 
- Suwama, Shuji Ishikawa, Yusuke Okada & Hikaru Sato vs. Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto, Ayato Yoshida  & Fuminori Abe  

AJPW "CHIBA EXTRA DREAM 24", 18.07.2020 
Chiba 2AW Square 

- AJPW World Tag Team Title: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa (c) vs. Isami Kodaka  & Yuko Miyamoto 

AJPW, 23.07.2020 
Bandaijima Multipurpose Plaza 

- GAORA TV Title: Yoshitatsu (c) vs. X 
- Triple Crown Skirmish: Suwama & Hikaru Sato vs. Shuji Ishikawa & Yusuke Okada 

AJPW, 25.07.2020 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

- AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Susumu Yokosuka  (c) vs. Koji Iwamoto 
- Triple Crown: Suwama (c) vs. Shuji Ishikawa

9 minutes ago, Control said:

Upcoming AJ shoes look swell. At some point I need to catch up on their empty arena shows: 

Reveal hidden contents

-- 

AJPW "ALL JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING BROADCAST 2020 #8.5 ~ TURNING POINT", 10.07.2020 (AJPW.tv) 
Unbekannter Ort 
ohne Fans 

Shin-Kiba 1st RING 

- Kento Miyahara, Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio & Francesco Akira vs. Zeus, UTAMARO & X 
- Suwama, Shuji Ishikawa, Yusuke Okada & Hikaru Sato vs. Jake Lee, Koji Iwamoto, Ayato Yoshida  & Fuminori Abe  

Chiba 2AW Square 

- AJPW World Tag Team Title: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa (c) vs. Isami Kodaka  & Yuko Miyamoto 

AJPW, 23.07.2020 

AJPW, 25.07.2020 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

Ed Sullivan - IMDb

That Triple Crown match does look awesome.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Takuro Niki formally of W-1 has joined 2AW.

Not sure but Tamura's Lidet promotion might a restart of a previous promotion.

Anyway in other news,  will have to wait for the Inoki Okada interview tidbits

Edited by D.Z

On 6/30/2020 at 9:19 PM, Control said:

Reveal hidden contents

-- 

Unbekannter Ort 
ohne Fans 

Shin-Kiba 1st RING 

Chiba 2AW Square 

AJPW, 23.07.2020 

AJPW, 25.07.2020 
Tokyo Korakuen Hall 

I've generally found the AJPW shows to be about the most watchable of empty arena shows. Partially because of how 2AW Square is as a building, all the shows I've seen from there have felt pretty solid, but also just the booking has been such a contrast from NOAH (I've enjoyed some of NOAH, especially Shiozaki's title defences, but god, they really are just running like business as usual, reacting like there's a crowd, doing 25 minute "epic" matches that'd have been better served with being closer to 10.), things have generally been snappy, it has felt a bit different from usual AJPW in presentation, obviously not everything has been a classic but just as watchable weekly wrestling goes I've been grateful for All Japan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

The most interesting part of that interview, I think, is Okada inviting Inoki to New Japan shows. 

INOKIISM LIVES!

On 6/26/2020 at 1:15 AM, D.Z said:

Sorry for the triple post but:

Jun Akiyama to be rented to DDT, and may stay there after rent.

Probably penance for approaching The Enemy about NXT Japan.

Onita is worried about the second wave of corona obliterating many promotions. ( The ones that aren't the 6). If many promotions go bankrupt, I don't expect most wrestlers to have a job in wrestling with limited space available.

Takumi Baba formally of W-1 works for Z-1 now. Shuji Kondo decided Dragongate will be his main battlefield.

About 11 or so W-1 wrestlers that haven't landed yet anywhere.

Wada speculates DDT will become more Royal Road while AJP will become more DDT. I don't really agree, seems more like AJP is reverting to something similar to Muto era AJP just with less budget. There will be inheritance of the Royal Road in DDT, but the wacky comedy and other styles will certainly stay.

Anyway in other AJP news, memorial show for Atsushi Aoki on August 15th at Korakuen.

DDT isn't going to become more like old AJPW but some wrestlers will have the teachings of Jun and the Royal Road passed down to them. Royal Road is also what Baba handed down to Jun and to whoever is next. Jun also teaches differently in the DDT dojo but still he doesn't want to throw everything out DDT taught these guys.

DDT isn't giving up their rest of their identity.

Wada is only right about nothing ever stays the same forever though.

Edited by D.Z