DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah to clarify - its Dick Pound saying that he believes that is what happening

Not that it has officially been announced.

And remember - Pound was the one who was all THERE IS NO WAY THE OLYMPICS WILL BE POSTPONNED

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah to clarify - its Dick Pound saying that he believes that is what happening

Not that it has officially been announced.

And remember - Pound was the one who was all THERE IS NO WAY THE OLYMPICS WILL BE POSTPONNED

85ef5bd911ca566cb426e156ea8c651b13f69b23

• Like 2

I like how the AIBA spent almost three years fighting their corruption to the point where boxing was about to be eliminated from the 2020 Olympics altogether. When they finally get close to getting their shit together, they are now forced to keep it together for at least another year. 

Life is fun sometimes.

• 5 weeks later...

In an interview with the Nikkan Sports newspaper on Tuesday, Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Organizing Committee President Yoshirō Mori stated that the Tokyo Olympics will be "scrapped" if it cannot be held in 2021. Mori cited prior games that have been canceled due to extenuating circumstances, such as war. However, he added that the Tokyo Olympics will have more value than other previous games after "winning the fight" against the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

• 3 weeks later...

The IOC did confirm that if they 2021 Olympics can't happen they will be cancelled.

They cited Japan not wanting to do another delay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will slap my knee when the US is barred from competing

I honestly think they'd cancel the olympics  before they bar the U.S. from competing.  I don't know what percentage of the profit comes from absurd American television contracts, but it has to be sizable.  If they think that people in this country are going to tune in to watch anyone else, they are lying to themselves.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I honestly think they'd cancel the olympics  before they bar the U.S. from competing.  I don't know what percentage of the profit comes from absurd American television contracts, but it has to be sizable.  If they think that people in this country are going to tune in to watch anyone else, they are lying to themselves.  

A *lot* of people who live in this country aren't from this country... 

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

A *lot* of people who live in this country aren't from this country... 

A *lot* of people who's viewership isn't enough to justify the Olympics television contracts.

It was more than enough to bring the 1994 World Cup to this country when this country did not have a national soccer league.  It was more than enough to sell out every game in this country (1st time in the history of that tournament too).  And it was more than enough to have record ratings here.  

My point is, if the IOC bans us, they ban us. I doubt they're going to give up the money the rest of the planet spends on the games (UK, China, Europe, etc.) because they'll only get half the viewership they get here.  They kicked Russia out for their egregious shit, and they live and breathe these games. 

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It was more than enough to bring the 1994 World Cup to this country when this country did not have a national soccer league.  It was more than enough to sell out every game in this country (1st time in the history of that tournament too).  And it was more than enough to have record ratings here.  

My point is, if the IOC bans us, they ban us. I doubt they're going to give up the money the rest of the planet spends on the games (UK, China, Europe, etc.) because they'll only get half the viewership they get here.  They kicked Russia out for their egregious shit, and they live and breathe these games. 

Look, there are plenty enough people to have good television ratings on the Olympics, but if those people are 100% of the audience, they wouldn't be getting their money's worth.  That is not why they spent that money.  They spent that money because American's love watching Americans win shit and without that audience they wouldn't have spent nearly as much money.

• 4 months later...

Break-dancing became an official Olympic sport on Monday.

The International Olympic Committee's pursuit of urban events to lure a younger audience saw street dance battles officially added to the medal events program at the 2024 Paris Games.

Also confirmed for Paris by the IOC executive board were skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing.

Those three sports will make their Olympic debuts at the Tokyo Games, which were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic by one year and slated to open July 23, 2021.

However, Paris organizers need time to prepare their project and so the IOC kept to its longtime schedule to confirm the 2024 sports lineup this month even before some are tested in Tokyo.

Break-dancing will be called breaking at the Olympics, as it was in the 1970s by hip-hop pioneers in the United States.

It was proposed by Paris organizers almost two years ago after positive trials at the 2018 Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires. Breaking passed further stages of approval in 2019 from separate decisions by the IOC board and full membership.

In Paris, breaking has been given a prestige downtown venue, joining sport climbing and 3-on-3 basketball at Place de la Concorde.

Surfing will be held far from France -- more than 9,000 miles away in the Pacific Ocean -- at the beaches of Tahiti, as the IOC already agreed in March.