DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

22 minutes ago, elizium said:

Anyway, if people want something jumped over something for sport, do it yourselves, don't conscript some poor animal to do it for you

Yeah, I don't like any form of horse sport either: flats, jumps, horse prancing, all of it.

• Like 1

I don't know Gable Steveson, had never heard of him until 30 seconds ago, and that video of his family and friends has me grinning like I've known the guy all my life.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Robert s said:

There are a couple of sports that I think should be removed from the Olympic schedule, but none as much as everything equestrian related. I don't want to know how many horses had to put down after cross-country races (this time the horse of a Swiss athlete). In the modern penthatlon, a German (who was leading after swimming and fencing) drew a horse (in the modern pentathlon, horses are assigned by lot) that she could not deal with (or a horse that had some problem, whatever) and you could hear the German coach shouting "hit it real hard, hit it".

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Someone's going to the Elmer's factory after this, and it ain't Annika. 

1 hour ago, elizium said:

z2TI5LS.jpg

Based horse

Sorry, folks, but I think these posts are too damn good to keep separate.  The second and third posts are pretty much exhibits A and B in its case for removal.  And the Twitter responses have a few more to add as well.

Remove horse-related events and for that matter it might be time to think about using horses in general.  Outside of Olympics I haven't been keen on horse racing for quite some time though get the appeal of potentially winning shit tons of money.  I would prefer the lottery or light gambling for that but that's just me.

EDIT:  And while Daft Punk's album cover has served quite well it is alas time for a new profile picture.  I may or may not change it but it's Friday.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

EDIT:  And while Daft Punk's album cover has served quite well it is alas time for a new profile picture.  I may or may not change it but it's Friday.

Lol, Nikio's new avatar is making me laugh hard.  The little blue spaceship that appears by all our avatars looks a little too much like a syringe about to inject itself into the horse's face.

What is the blue spaceshp supposed to signify anyway?

• Like 1

the horse thing is funnier because nobody got hurt.. I mean, it sucks for the dreams of the person, but the show jumping part of the Pentathlon is notorious for stuff like that.

It'd be like if they had an event where part of it involved driving a used car and every 50 used cars would be some crap bucket that couldn't drive a lap without dying.

Anyways, Women's marathon is going on now. It started an hour early because Sapporo is hotter than they were expecting.

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

I don't know Gable Steveson, had never heard of him until 30 seconds ago, and that video of his family and friends has me grinning like I've known the guy all my life.

His name is actually Gable Dan, which is amazing. Also, that 125 kg final was banana!!! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

They were talking about moving the Olympic football finals to someplace else, both cooler and with a better pitch.

I don't know where the Tokyo Dome is in relation to the other Olympic sites, but it was sorta surprising that they didn't find something to put in that Dome.  (Putting the game indoors would have meant trying to get grass in there for one use since they're not gonna play it on turf.. like what they did for the Silverdome in the World Cup)

They already moved the Women's Soccer final due to heat (and probably also because the US wasn't in that game, so NBC was fine with losing out on primetime-ish Canada/Sweden).. which seemingly messed up the TV listings for the Olympics channels more than usual because no lisiting was right and there was a lot of suspense of "tune in and anything could be on"

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sorry, folks, but I think these posts are too damn good to keep separate.  The second and third posts are pretty much exhibits A and B in its case for removal.  And the Twitter responses have a few more to add as well.

Remove horse-related events and for that matter it might be time to think about using horses in general.  Outside of Olympics I haven't been keen on horse racing for quite some time though get the appeal of potentially winning shit tons of money.  I would prefer the lottery or light gambling for that but that's just me.

I'm not a fan of horse sports and I really don't care about any medals, but I can imagine stuff like dressage being a combination of a good understanding between horse and rider and at least virtually I can't see abuse. I may be biased because a friend of mine does dressage and she explains it well. 

The idea of drawing RANDOM horses for a horse jumping competition is absolute b.s. It's bullshit for the athletes, and of course worse for the horses. Give those pentathletes a bicycle. It's 2021, what is modern about riding horses? It's still awful for an athlete to experience this, so I think there should be at least some sympathy for Annika Schleu. 

Oh, and the German coaches are really great at making themselves look like idiots. The Judo coach slapping his athlete should have been the most dubious coaching of any Olympics (although it was the athletes wish actually and he wasn't at fault), but it's downright harmless compared to racist insults and instructions to animal abuse (even if it's a hit in safe place). 

Edited by ReiseReise
  • Like 1

Galal Yafai's gold, along with a guaranteed medal for team-mate Lauren Price who fights for gold in the women's middleweight final on Sunday, mean Team GB have earned their biggest boxing medal haul for over a Century.

Bronze medals have already been secured by Kariss Artingstall and Frazer Clarke, while Pat McCormack and Ben Whittaker won silver.

That superb total of six medals achieved in Tokyo is set to see Britain equal their tally from 1920.

Get in there.

• Like 1

3bOMbN4B?format=jpg&name=small

iqESGHS1?format=jpg&name=small

A German coach has been thrown out of the Olympics for appearing to punch a horse who was refusing to jump or trot during the modern pentathlon.

Coach Kim Raisner was heard on German TV urging tearful athlete Annika Schleu to "really hit" the horse while she struggled to control Saint Boy during the showjumping round of Friday's women's event.

Schleu had been leading the event before the equestrian, where athletes are given just 20 minutes to bond with a horse they have never ridden.

Modern pentathlon's governing body, the UIPM, said it had reviewed video footage that appeared to show Raisner - who competed at the 2004 Olympics in modern pentathlon - striking the horse with her fist.

"Her actions were deemed to be in violation of the UIPM competition rules, which are applied to all recognised modern pentathlon competitions including the Olympic Games," the governing body said in a statement.

"The UIPM Executive Board [EB] has given a black card to the Germany team coach Kim Raisner, disqualifying her from the remainder of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

"The EB decision was made today at the Tokyo Stadium before the resumption of the men's modern pentathlon competition."

"Appearing to punch a horse". Kim Raisner did punch the horse. Fuck her and Annika Schleu.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ReiseReise said:

I'm not a fan of horse sports and I really don't care about any medals, but I can imagine stuff like dressage being a combination of a good understanding between horse and rider and at least virtually I can't see abuse. I may be biased because a friend of mine does dressage and she explains it well. 

The idea of drawing RANDOM horses for a horse jumping competition is absolute b.s. It's bullshit for the athletes, and of course worse for the horses. Give those pentathletes a bicycle. It's 2021, what is modern about riding horses? It's still awful for an athlete to experience this, so I think there should be at least some sympathy for Annika Schleu. 

Oh, and the German coaches are really great at making themselves look like idiots. The Judo coach slapping his athlete should have been the most dubious coaching of any Olympics (although it was the athletes wish actually and he wasn't at fault), but it's downright harmless compared to racist insults and instructions to animal abuse (even if it's a hit in safe place). 

I initially did feel bad for Annika but while I know it was mainly the coach I can only muster up so much sympathy. Just a shitty situation all around that could have been prevented. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fuck her and Annika Schleu.

I too love to judge people on the worst day of their life, when their dreams are completely shattered for the world to see. Glad to know she'll return to Germany broken and defeated, go online and read all those messages from strangers telling her what a horrible person she is.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I too love to judge people on the worst day of their life, when their dreams are completely shattered for the world to see. Glad to know she'll return to Germany broken and defeated, go online and read all those messages from strangers telling her what a horrible person she is.

C'mon, man. Shit take. Doesn't excuse what both did and are rightly getting slammed for it.

Edited by The Natural

16 minutes ago, The Natural said:

C'mon, man. Shit take. Doesn't excuse what both did and are rightly getting slammed for it.

Publicly hating strangers is always made easier when you can throw some half-hearted animal welfare thing in front of it. This is what people like to do these days, this is how humanity loves to gleefully shame itself. Don't punch horses. But that horse can take a punch and probably isn't thinking about it much today. A trollish subset of the backlash against Annika is going to be psychotic. They kick people when they're down and they go after women differently. I feel bad for her. She does not deserve what is likely coming.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1