DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

I get it that Valieva is a "protected person" under the age of 16 and that she's being allowed to compete because she's fourteen and not necessarily because she's innocent of doping but holy fuck, the IOC sure is doing a shitty job of avoiding the appearance of impropriety.

• Like 1

It is a shame, really.  Her legacy is pretty much ruined by this and since she's just a kid, you're not sure whether she's just a cog in the doping machine or complicit in all of this.  If you are Valieva, it would be impossible to take pride in that performance unless you were either indoctrinated and had no idea that you were in the wrong or if you knew exactly what you were doing and didn't give a shit.

Edited by J.T.

There have been better Canada/US games, but last night's was pretty damn fun. Not much drama until the last 10 minutes, where the US finally came on. Marie-Philip Poulin pretty much solidified her Hall of Fame case. Four gold medal games, goals in each game, 3 of them the game winner.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cubbymark said:

And she crashed and burned in her free skate. She won't even medal, regardless of whether or not she was doping. 

Just about every adult in her life has failed her from her coaches to the people that came up with those dumb "protected person" rules.  It's bad enough she had the pressure of bringing home an Olympic medal.  Having to deal with all of that scrutiny and negativity due to the scandal had to weigh on her. 

The next time the Olympics rolls around she'll be 18 which is like 78 in ice skater years.

• Like 1

I would imagine her skating career is over, unless she ends up seeking asylum or defecting to another country. The stigma of a dirty sample especially at such a young age won’t do her any favors, and as ruthless as the ROC can be, hopefully she isn’t exiled to Siberia.

• Like 1

I wish I was exaggerating when I say I worry for her safety as long as she's in Russia.  I hope her and her family are considering asylum or defecting.

If the IOC had some guts they would have banned Russia from everything until they got their shit together.  And if that means never then so be it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The NFL is pushing hard to have 7 on 7 Flag Football added to the 2028 games.  

And not for nothing, but I'd pay good money to see USA vs. American Samoa  in a gold medal game. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Modern Pentathlon is eliminating the horse riding discipline and replacing it basically with Ninja Warrior

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/05/24/modern-pentathlon-obstacle-discipline/

The sport’s international governing body said last year that the horse riding discipline had to be removed to boost the chances of keeping modern pentathlon’s place in the Olympics beyond 2024.

The obstacle discipline, chosen from among 60 proposals, will replace horse riding in the Olympic modern pentathlon lineup starting with the 2028 Los Angeles Games, pending approval at a November congress. Star athletes have voiced disapproval, and modern pentathlon still must be added to the LA Olympic program.

The discipline that will debut with a test event June 27-28 in Turkey includes two to four athletes racing each other over a course up to 100 meters long with up to 10 obstacles. The list of obstacles in play:

• Ascending steps
  • Rope swing
  • 1.5-meter wall
  • Monkey bars
  • Offset steps
  • 0.5-meter low crawl
  • Rings rig
  • Under-over-under-over
  • Wheels rig
  • Balance beam
  • Angled ladders
  • Finish ‘Tsunami’ curved wall

I mean I understand why the current folks are pissed because clearly none of them have trained for it

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

https://twitter.com/TimothyDSnyder/status/1620814342118842368?t=iLv-6kOO-kYKJA4HshhPuQ&s=19

Ukrainian decathlete Volodymyr Androshchuk will not be representing his country at the Paris Olympics because he was just killed by the Russian armed forces. In other news, the IOC announces that Russian athletes are welcome in Paris.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Herb Douglas passed away at the age of 101

He had been the US' oldest living medalist (He won a bronze medal in Long Jump in 1948)

Yvonne Chabot-Curtet of France remains the oldest living Olympian at 102

• 1 month later...

Happy Father's Day everyone.   

Dolfan in NYC is calling for a complete, and total, ban on society, until we can figure out just what the hell is going on.  

(no it's not satire)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Happy Father's Day everyone.   

Dolfan in NYC is calling for a complete, and total, ban on society, until we can figure out just what the hell is going on.  

(no it's not satire)

That feels like bad joke out of the simpsons, like a characters gambling addiction is bad they would bet on the special olympics. . . double take. . . .shakes head sadly.