DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

1. empty arenas

2. Austria winning its first Summer Olympics gold medal since Athens 2004 due to a series of unbelievable tactical blunders by the Dutch team (and rest of the field working against the Dutch team)

3. Austria winning 7 medals despite not having a better team then in London (where Austria did not win any medals at all) or in Rio (where we ended up with a single bronze medal)

4. a bunch of results in Athletics, that I fear will change due to retests over the next 10 years

5. "Hol Dir die Kameltreiber!" ("Get the cameleers!")

6. the absurd scoring system in sports climbing incl. the farce of the men's speed climbing that gifted an athlete gold who might have otherwise placed last in the final

7. the first Summer Olympics medal for my home state since Atlanta (where a former neighbor won silver and bronze)

Hmm... I ended up with seven things instead of five, whatever.

Edited by Robert s

4 hours ago, Robert s said:

2. Austria winning its first Summer Olympics gold medal since Athens 2004 due to a series of unbelievable tactical blunders by the Dutch team (and rest of the field working against the Dutch team)

Just read about that. I feel for the Dutch cyclist thinking she'd won because Kiesenhofer was so far ahead that they completely lost track of her, which sounds completely unthinkable in this day and age.

1. Yukiko Ueno as the winning pitcher for Japan in the gold medal softball game, 12 years after she did the same in Beijing.

2. A Rui leads Japan to a basketball medal. Not Rui Hachimura but Rui Machida. Machida tied the record for assists in a game but her coach didn't realize it and didn't put her back in the game to break the record - and then she broke the record the next game anyway. Yeah, they got stomped by Team USA in the final but it was a great run.

3. Japan gets it's first table tennis gold in the first ever mixed doubles event and Chinese twitter sort of loses it's mind (of course they went to sweep gold in all the other events). This was also when Mima Ito probably solidified herself as Japan's best ever table tennis player. She'll probably be there in Paris but these Olympics might have been where the path paved by Ai Fukuhara and Kasumi Ishikawa these past fifteen years reached it's apex.

4. The unfortunate end of Kohei Uchimura's Olympic career. Not that Japan's men's gymnastics is in any trouble but it won't be the same for a while.

5. SO many stupid scandals running up to the Olympics, most of which could have been avoided. The fact that they even had an opening ceremony after all that was a minor miracle.

6. Oh, all the new sports were all generally entertaining. And Carissa Moore winning the first ever women's surfing gold was significant on several levels.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Katie Ledecky is joining Florida as a volunteer swim coach

Why might you ask?

In addition to helping out with Florida's swimming and diving program, Ledecky will train with Florida head coach Anthony Nesty for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris. Nesty was as an assistant coach for Team USA at the Tokyo Olympics over the summer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 6:24 AM, Brian Fowler said:

God it feels so weird to have the next Olympics coming up this fast

And just so you know how close it actually is...  the torch was lit in Ancient Olympia this morning. 

It will be transported to Athens where the Chinese delegation will take it to Beijing. 

• 2 months later...

Timothy LeDuc of the USA will be the first out non-binary athlete to compete in an Olympics.  

Timothy and their partner Ashley Cain-Gribble will be in the pairs figure skating events. 

Shaun White has basically ensured a trip to his 5th Olympics

Basically he is the 4th ranked American on the Snowboard rankings and can't be caught by any other Americans. And since it is expected that the rankings will be used to select the 4 man team...

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
22 hours ago, Mister TV said:

In speed skating, Brittany Bowe gave up her spot to friend and teammate Erin Jackson who slipped in the US Olympic Trials. Jackson who switched from inline speed skating in 2017 has a shot at a medal, she also plays Roller Derby!

Erin Jackson is amazing (disclosure: I announced a half-dozen or so games involving Erin from her tenure in derby, so I may be biased). She made the Olympics in 2018 with only three or four months of training, so I'm excited to see what she can do with this second chance. Pure class by Brittany Bowe.

Jamaica has qualified for the 4 man bobsled for the first time since 1988 (aka the Cool Runnings team)

They have qualified for 3 events total and are an alternate for a 4th event

• Like 3

ESPN has announced that they will not be sending anyone to cover the Olympics that start in a couple of weeks.

They were only planning on sending, like, four people, but still. . .now they're not sending anyone.

Edited by Gonzo

Curler John Shuster has been named a flag bearer for the USA.  

Bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor was voted to the other flag bearer.  However, she tested positive for Covid on Monday and is out for the opening ceremonies.  She may not be able to compete at all. 

Speedskater Brittany Bowe will take her place in the opening ceremony. 

Meanwhile, the US women's hockey team lost star Brianna Decker in the first period of the first game as she had her leg trapped under her and another player during a fall to the ice.

Since the game was played in an empty area - everyone could hear her screaming in pain

She has already been ruled out for the rest of the tournament

My favorite part of the winter Opening Ceremony is there's always a tropical, warm weather country that absolutely shouldn't belong, and it's always one or two Americans who couldn't qualify for the US and still want to go to the games.

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

My favorite part of the winter Opening Ceremony is there's always a tropical, warm weather country that absolutely shouldn't belong, and it's always one or two Americans who couldn't qualify for the US and still want to go to the games.

It might not be a tropical country but that's always why Greece has at most 5 people.  And yeah Winter sports definitely aren't their thing.

Also I will say I do appreciate the opening ceremony being a lovely tech demo for my 4K TV.  I mean that's about it considering everything but I'll take it.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It might not be a tropical country but that's always why Greece has at most 5 people.  And yeah Winter sports definitely aren't their thing.

Also I will say I do appreciate the opening ceremony being a lovely tech demo for my 4K TV.  I mean that's about it considering everything but I'll take it.

And they are Greeks actually from Greece, not Greek-Americans, Greek-Canadians, Greek-Brits and so on who have a parent or grandparent born in Greece and are good at a winter sport.

• Thanks 1