DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

Watching a replay of the France vs Slovenia game and Luca almost hurt his arm or hand chasing for a ball and smacking into the glass surrounding the announcers.  I understand they are doing that for COVID mostly but man flying into a thick plexiglass can't be good for you.   I guess the alternative is flying into announcers and time keepers that won't catch you

By the way lots of technical fouls for arguing about calls in the 4th quarter.    

Edited by hammerva

Big-name injuries have blighted Britain's medal hunt on the track, including Asher-Smith, who withdrew from the 200m because of a hamstring complaint but chose to compete in the 4x100m relay on Thursday.

Asher-Smith ran leg three and along with Asha Philip, Imani Lansiquot and Daryll Neita set a new British record of 41.55 seconds.

"There was never any doubt in my mind that I'd be lining up here today because the relay's really important, we got a bronze medal in Rio," Asher-Smith told BBC Sport.

Just now, The Natural said:

Big-name injuries have blighted Britain's medal hunt on the track, including Asher-Smith, who withdrew from the 200m because of a hamstring complaint but chose to compete in the 4x100m relay on Thursday.

Asher-Smith ran leg three and along with Asha Philip, Imani Lansiquot and Daryll Neita set a new British record of 41.55 seconds.

"There was never any doubt in my mind that I'd be lining up here today because the relay's really important, we got a bronze medal in Rio," Asher-Smith told BBC Sport.

Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis let rip at the Men's:

Team USA's efforts in the men's really were not enough as they finished sixth in a heat featuring some poor baton exchanges.

The US team won the event at the 2019 World Championships but have not won a 4x100m Olympic gold since 2000.

"This isn't rocket science," four-time Olympic champion Michael Johnson tweeted.

"Trying to get two people running full speed to exchange a baton within a 20m zone requires practice! Especially when you haven't won this event since Sydney 2000 due to drops and zone violations!Embarrassing and ridiculous."

Nine-time Olympic gold medallist Carl Lewis added: "The USA team did everything wrong in the men's relay. The passing system is wrong, athletes running the wrong legs, and it was clear that there was no leadership. It was a total embarrassment, and completely unacceptable."

The US beat South Korea to advance to the baseball Gold Medal game against Japan

This ensures that Eddy Alvarez will become the third American to win medals at the Summer and Winter Olympics

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The US beat South Korea to advance to the baseball Gold Medal game against Japan

This ensures that Eddy Alvarez will become the third American to win medals at the Summer and Winter Olympics

Baseball and short track is a wild combination. The only other athletes who won medals in both summer and winter games in "modern" times, had much more obvious combinations (bobsleigh and track, speed skating and cycling). In "ancient" times (1920s and 30s), there was a Norwegian who won medals in sailing and ski jumping and an American with the combination boxing and bobsleigh.

Now that France medaled in Karate, is it too late to bring Karate back for Paris 2024?

At the very least, not having Japan win every Karate gold (or any of the 3 so far) is good for the sake of having Karate return at a future games.

Karate is also going on at the Budokan, so imagine all the wrestling that happened in at least one Olympic venue.

The French Gold Medals are in an assortment of sports: Fencing (twice), Karate, Judo (twice), Rowing, and Shooting. They're ready for a 90s action movie. Also possible for France to add Basketball in a few days to create a movie where a Karate master has to fight Judoka, row a boat, shoot some guns for some reason, get into a sword fight, and fight a basketball player.

Also, the track and field results last night make it obvious that America is no longer a 4x100 country, it's a Shot Put nation.

the divvying up of Olympic coverage by channel is sorta strange.. The Olympic Channel gets 2 sports (Tennis and Wrestling), but gets them over long blocks. Every other channel pretty much gets America-focused stuff, and there's a lot of handball like somebody at NBC is way into handball and puts it on in the afternoons.

Tonight was a quiet Olympic night, there wasn't any Track and Field scheduled for the main stadium because of the Women's Soccer finals (the finals were moved to a different time/stadium because of excessive heat and the US not playing in the Gold Medal game). Race Walking was it's usual basket of joy as they kept walking up and down one street in Sapporo for 4 hours.

One thing i've noticed is that it feels like they're doing fewer in-studio interviews during these Olympics. Not sure if that's supported by any facts.

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Now that France medaled in Karate, is it too late to bring Karate back for Paris 2024?

At the very least, not having Japan win every Karate gold (or any of the 3 so far) is good for the sake of having Karate return at a future games.

Karate is also going on at the Budokan, so imagine all the wrestling that happened in at least one Olympic venue.

The French Gold Medals are in an assortment of sports: Fencing (twice), Karate, Judo (twice), Rowing, and Shooting. They're ready for a 90s action movie. Also possible for France to add Basketball in a few days to create a movie where a Karate master has to fight Judoka, row a boat, shoot some guns for some reason, get into a sword fight, and fight a basketball player.

Also, the track and field results last night make it obvious that America is no longer a 4x100 country, it's a Shot Put nation.

The silly part is France could have had karate as the host nation is allowed to pick a few non-regular sports, but instead they picked breakdancing. Not sure if its too late for them to change their mind now that France has done well in it.

Laura Kenny became the first British woman to win gold at three Olympic Games as she and Katie Archibald were crowned madison champions in Tokyo.

Kenny, 29, also becomes GB's most decorated female athlete with her fifth gold, and sixth Olympic medal overall.

Congratulations!

The US Men AND Women will face France in the gold medal games for basketball. 

I'll have to check to see if the men and women are combining and forming a basketball Voltron to defeat the French. 

5 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The silly part is France could have had karate as the host nation is allowed to pick a few non-regular sports, but instead they picked breakdancing. Not sure if its too late for them to change their mind now that France has done well in it.

Yes it is too late

The Dec 2020 announcement of the official Olympic program was the finalization. That was done by the IOC

Hence why baseball won't be back in 2024 but is expected to return in 2028 (since United States)

• Sad 1

There are a couple of sports that I think should be removed from the Olympic schedule, but none as much as everything equestrian related. I don't want to know how many horses had to put down after cross-country races (this time the horse of a Swiss athlete). In the modern penthatlon, a German (who was leading after swimming and fencing) drew a horse (in the modern pentathlon, horses are assigned by lot) that she could not deal with (or a horse that had some problem, whatever) and you could hear the German coach shouting "hit it real hard, hit it".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

The Dan Gable Steveson vs. Geno Petriashvili final was dramatic as fuck. 

That was quite the gold medal match.  With a first and middle name like that it's damn near impossible to lose.  I don't know what Steveson will do next but the world is his oyster.  If he chose to he's got a few options that could make him some damn good money, especially with the charisma he has on top of everything else.

Mayu Mukaida came back from 4-0 down to win Japan's third gold medal in women's wrestling after Risako Kawai matched her sister's accomplishment yesterday. Japan also won a gold medal in karate for the first time. I didn't know they were giving medals for kata, but they are. 

Meanwhile, New Zealand has had its best Olympics ever with 19 medals. We're up to 7 gold medals, which is phenomenal really. The population of NZ hasn't even reached five million yet. Lisa Carrington has won 3 of the 7 gold medals in canoeing to instantly thrust herself into the conversation for greatest NZ Olympian ever. She now has 5 gold medals and 1 bronze. Back home they're calling her the GOAT in a boat. 

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The US Men AND Women will face France in the gold medal games for basketball. 

I'll have to check to see if the men and women are combining and forming a basketball Voltron to defeat the French. 

Umm..about one of those games...

• Like 1