DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

_119693605_0f667972-d9e2-4fa2-b084-5056b

Mutaz Essa Barshim asked the Olympic official if they could have two gold medals, to which the steward nodded, saying, "if you can agree to share it"

An incredible Olympic high jump final ended with both Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim and Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi taking gold medals.

After an exhausting two-hour competition, the pair couldn't be split, having recorded best clearances of 2.37 metres.

The athletes were offered an opportunity to take part in a jump-off.

But in a moment of sportsmanship, they agreed to share the title, sparking huge celebrations.

Both had three failures as they attempted to match the Olympic record of 2.39m and, with error-free records on countback, could have fought for sole possession of the title.

Instead, they made history - it was the first joint Olympic podium in athletics since 1912.

Maksim Nedasekau of Belarus took bronze, having also jumped at 2.37m, but having more failed attempts across the competition.

Tamberi and Barshim embraced before running to celebrate with their coaches and team-mates, hoisting their nation's flags above their heads.

Barshim can add the gold medal to his back to back world titles, and is the winner of Qatar's second-ever Olympic gold medal, after weightlifter Fares Elbakh won the first on Saturday in the men's 96kg event.

Tamberi was still celebrating on the track when his compatriot Lamont Marcell Jacobs ran into his arms, following his surprise win in the men's 100m final.

Both athletes have had to overcome tough injuries in their careers, but Barshim says the sacrifices were worth it.

"It is amazing. This is a dream I don't want to wake up from," he said.

"I have been through a lot. It's been five years that I have been waiting, with injuries and a lot of setbacks. But we are here today sharing this moment and all the sacrifices. It's really worth it now in this moment."

Tamberi had to take time out to recover from a career-threatening injury that ruled him out of Rio 2016.

"After my injuries, I just wanted to come back, but now I have this gold, it's incredible. I dreamed of this so many times," said the Italian.

"I was told in 2016 just before Rio there was a risk I wouldn't be able to compete any more. It's been a long journey."

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Currently first place in the hammer throw: French athlete QUENTIN BIGOT. He'd be doing even better if all those little Oriental guys just stayed still for a few more seconds.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Currently first place in the hammer throw: French athlete QUENTIN BIGOT. He'd be doing even better if all those little Oriental guys just stayed still for a few more seconds.

He wants Marvin out of his garage before his wife gets home. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Simone Biles has confimed she will compete for individual gold on the balance beam this week. 

Hope Simone Biles wins as a FU to Piers Morgan and that racist fuck getting Cash'd.

• Haha 1

Japan and the US go into extra innings in baseball and Japan ends it with the sequence every Japanese baseball player has had burned into their brains since youth: bunt to move the runner, base hit, win. You know it's coming but you can't stop it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lostinube said:

Japan and the US go into extra innings in baseball and Japan ends it with the sequence every Japanese baseball player has had burned into their brains since youth: bunt to move the runner, base hit, win. You know it's coming but you can't stop it.

This is what happens when you let Edwin Jackson pitch

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lostinube said:

Japan just doesn't play the correct way via spreadsheet and care only for launch angles and HR numbers...

• Like 1

First Women's Wrestling medal turns into Gold, Aline Rotter-Focken becomes an Olympic Champion in her last ever match. Great stuff, too bad I got spoilered by the replay telling right away what had happened. 

Generally a good day for the German team. 

I'm quite happy that the Swedish Women's team made it to the Football finals. 

Superheavyweight Lopez Nunez from Cuba won his fourth Gold in Olympic Greco Roman wrestling at age 38. What a legend. 

21 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Superheavyweight Lopez Nunez from Cuba won his fourth Gold in Olympic Greco Roman wrestling at age 38. What a legend. 

Yeah but did he do it with a BROKEN FRIGGIN NECK?!?!

• Haha 4

Mijain Lopez' celebration was awesome.

I like the way the wrestling has commentary over the PA system, and how the wrestlers can talk to their loved ones afterwards through video conferencing. 

EDIT: Two-time World Champion, Kenichiro Fumita, was gutted after losing his gold medal match, but he was well beaten by his Cuban opponent, Luis Orta Sanchez.

Edited by ohtani's jacket

E71fvksVEAI1nJe?format=jpg&name=small

Norway's Karsten Warholm ran a stunning men's 400m hurdles race to obliterate his previous world record and take gold at Tokyo 2020.

Warholm, 25, finished in 45.94 seconds to slash more than seven tenths off his old record, while American Rai Benjamin was hot on his heels to win silver having also beaten the previous record.

Warholm had set the previous world record of 46.70 in Oslo in July.

Brazil's Alison dos Santos took the bronze medal with a time of 46.72.

"You know the cliche that it hasn't sunk in yet? I don't think it has but I feel ecstatic," Warholm, who now holds the European, World and Olympic titles, told BBC Sport.

"I can't believe the time, it's so fast! A lot of the time I am asked about the perfect race... I said it didn't exist, but this is the closest I've ever come.

"I told myself going into the race, remember all the work you have put in. It was the only thing missing from my [medal] collection.

"I can't describe how important this is for me. This is what I do morning until night - it's huge."

It was tipped to be one of the most exhilarating races at the Games after Benjamin had come within five hundredths of a second of taking the then-world record in winning the US trials this summer.

Warholm established a strong lead when he raced out of the blocks but Benjamin threatened to claw him back before the Norwegian's final push for the line.

He roared with delight when he looked up at the screen to see his time, ripped his shirt in celebration and posed for photographs next to the new world record.

Two-time world 110m hurdles champion Colin Jackson told BBC TV: "When you talk about world records, this is up there with Usain Bolt's time of 9.58 seconds in the 100m and up there with Flo Jo's 10.49 seconds in the 100m.

"This is one of the most outstanding world records and I'm pretty sure that world record will outlive me.

"It's just breathtaking. Wow. I am truly in shock."

Former 1500m Olympic silver medallist Steve Cram added: "No wonder he rips his shirt apart - he is Superman in this event!

"I cannot believe what we have just seen. Two men running times you could only dream of."

bbc.co.uk

Edited by The Natural

Just to put that time in its perspective..

(from the BBC)

His blistering 45.94 second lap, which I must reiterate was achieved despite hurdles, would have seen him win the 2021 British Championships over the regular, flat 400m.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Roniel Iglasias beats Pat McCormack to claim welterweight boxing gold for Cuba.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta