DVDVR Message Board

The Olympics

Dolfan in NYC

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

An unnamed member of the US gymnastics team has tested positive for Covid per CNN. 

4 days to go.

ESPN says it was an alternate, but that "The USOPC did not say whether Olympic champion Simone Biles or any of the other favorites to win the team gold were isolated because of contact tracing."

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31847805/tokyo-2020-organizing-committee-chief-rule-cancellation-summer-olympics

The chief of the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee on Tuesday did not rule out a last-minute cancellation of the Olympics, as more athletes tested positive for COVID-19 and major sponsors ditched plans to attend Friday's opening ceremony.

Asked at a news conference whether the global sporting showpiece might still be canceled, Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on infection numbers and liaise with other organizers if necessary.

"We can't predict what will happen with the number of coronavirus cases. So we will continue discussions if there is a spike in cases," Muto said.

"We have agreed that based on the coronavirus situation, we will convene five-party talks again. At this point, the coronavirus cases may rise or fall, so we will think about what we should do when the situation arises."

Poland have sent six swimmers home from the Tokyo Olympics after selecting too many by mistake.

Poland initially picked 23 athletes but had to cut that to 17 based on world governing body FINA's qualifying rules.

Polish Swimming Federation (PZP) president Pawel Slominski has apologised and said he understood the anger of those who have returned home.

Oh man. Feel bad for the six cut because Poland suck at Maths.

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

You don't think they're getting ahead of themselves announcing them for 11 years away when they haven't got this set of games off without getting cancelled?

The old corrupt bidding process had a rule that didn't allow them to announce host cities more than 7 years out.

The decade+ lead time seems to be the new standard under the new corrupt selection system as they eliminated that restriction. LA was awarded 11+ years out and now Brisbane has the same time table.

British medal hope Amber Hill has withdrawn from the women's skeet competition at this summer's Olympics after testing positive for Covid-19.

World number one Hill won silver at the shooting World Cup in May and finished sixth at the Rio 2016 Games.

Hill says she is "absolutely devastated" by the news, which came before she had left for Japan.

She was due to participate in Sunday's qualifying event with the final scheduled to take place on Monday.

More to follow.

Man, I feel for those testing positive for coronavirus and having to withdraw from the Olympics. All those years building to this moment.

BTW - the other amusing thing about Brisbane being named already is that there still isn't a host for the 2030 Winter Olympics

Sapporo, Japan announced their bid in Feb 2020 - based on what is happening now, I feel like there is no chance they continue/no chance they get it

Vancouver and Salt Lake City have also made preliminary bids

There is also a joint bid from Spain (Barcelona), France and Andorra (the Pyrenees) (Andora is literally a part of the bid just to host Alpine Skiing)

I am surprised that there are even still countries willing to run Olympic Games, at least democratic ones. The bid for the 2026 Winter Games (Milan and Cortina "won" that bid) turned into a desaster when one country after the other dropped out due to lack of public support (Calgary, Graz (which was the Austrian fallback plan after a referendum in Innsbruck - which I think would have been the preferred host by the IOC (the idea being to show that Winter Games can be done in a smaller, more sustainable setting) - ended up with a negative result) and Sion dropped out, Stockholm stayed in till the final selection even though the support among the population was non-existing). At least for Winter Games, Sochi, Pyeongchang and Beijing with their absurd budgets destroyed any positive associations with holding Olympic Games in traditional winter sports regions.

The show director of the Olympics opening ceremony has been dismissed, one day before the event is due to be held.

Footage of Kentaro Kobayashi from the 1990s recently emerged in which he seems to be making jokes about the Holocaust.

Japan's Olympic chief Seiko Hashimoto called out the video saying it ridiculed "painful facts of history".

His dismissal is the latest in a string of scandals to hit the Games.

It comes days after a composer quit the team creating the ceremony after it emerged he had bullied classmates with disabilities at school.

Organisers are also dealing with rising Covid case numbers among athletes and officials. On Thursday, organisers said 91 people accredited for the Games have now tested positive for the virus.

After the removal of Mr Kobayashi, organisers are now re-assessing how to hold Friday's event.

I make this the third sacking of someone from the organisers of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

I'll admit to being selfish and wanting to see Tokyo Olympics.  Whether it's showcasing the cool Japanese stuff or just wanting to see all that on 4K I unintentionally was overlooking some things just for my own potential enjoyment.

But with all this going and now what Natural just put I guess I snapped out of it.  Just cancel the whole thing and be done with it.

• Like 1

I'm still kind of all in on the Olympics. Sorry guys. I mean, if they end up cancelling it in a few hours, I will deem this a wise decision and support it but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen, and me watching a bunch of Water Polo, Judo, and Racewalking isn't really going to move a needle one way or another.

• Like 3

Guinea has withdrawn from the Olympics (they were sending 5 athletes)

The official reason was COVID concerns however the African press indicated there were concerns around the funding for the athletes and the delegation with money being released only a couple days ago

14 hours ago, Robert s said:

I am surprised that there are even still countries willing to run Olympic Games, at least democratic ones. The bid for the 2026 Winter Games (Milan and Cortina "won" that bid) turned into a desaster when one country after the other dropped out due to lack of public support (Calgary, Graz (which was the Austrian fallback plan after a referendum in Innsbruck - which I think would have been the preferred host by the IOC (the idea being to show that Winter Games can be done in a smaller, more sustainable setting) - ended up with a negative result) and Sion dropped out, Stockholm stayed in till the final selection even though the support among the population was non-existing). At least for Winter Games, Sochi, Pyeongchang and Beijing with their absurd budgets destroyed any positive associations with holding Olympic Games in traditional winter sports regions.

Honestly, there are at least 5-10 cities in the United States who could hold an Olympics without building a single new stadium or arena.  With that said, all of them would create traffic nightmares and the populations of those cities would hate it, but you could start the Olympics tomorrow in L.A., Chicago, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Boston, and any other city with 4 professional teams and a bunch of Division I colleges.  The biggest problem  with the Olympics, you know other than the rampant corruption, is that most of these places have no use for any of these buildings after the Olympics leave.  It will never happen, but we'd be much better off if we just put the Olympics in places that already have the infrastructure to handle massive sporting events.

I legit think LA would gladly host the Olympics every cycle if allowed

Now I am joking but supreme isn't too far off as - at least when LA was awarded the 2028 games - the reason the committee claimed LA was so attractive was because their plan called to use almost exclusively already existing buildings or new structures that are being built regardless of the games (like the new NFL stadium was still being built at the time of the awarding).

And there are folks claiming that will be the new Olympic model and it might be true as Brisbane is claiming almost 85% of their venues are done and their major expenses will be a new Swimming Arena and upgrading transportation which the city claimed they were doing regardless of the Olympics

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'll admit to being selfish and wanting to see Tokyo Olympics.  Whether it's showcasing the cool Japanese stuff or just wanting to see all that on 4K I unintentionally was overlooking some things just for my own potential enjoyment.

But with all this going and now what Natural just put I guess I snapped out of it.  Just cancel the whole thing and be done with it.

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm still kind of all in on the Olympics. Sorry guys. I mean, if they end up cancelling it in a few hours, I will deem this a wise decision and support it but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen, and me watching a bunch of Water Polo, Judo, and Racewalking isn't really going to move a needle one way or another.

I think the Olympics shouldn't happen but it is and I can't see them cancelling it if things get worse as it progresses on. Sucks for the athletes who are pulled testing positive/have close contact with someone who has and for the Japanese people who have waited for so long. Like you guys, I'll probably still be watching as I've always enjoyed the Olympics. However, people lives and health of are far more important than a sporting event taking place.

• Like 1