DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, dogwelder said:

I wonder which podcast it was exactly, since Chad got fired yet Drab is still there so I assume it wasn't on the main Big O & Dukes podcast.

While he definitely said worst stuff on the Rodkast - that site is gone as the domain got blown out after Othello quit

I am positive it was Big O and Dukes - I mean they are plenty of examples of only one person getting fired from a show and not the whole show.

Plus - remember only Drab was fired when the incident with Lavar happened even though that was a conversation Facebook messenger conversation between him and Chad

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

While he definitely said worst stuff on the Rodkast - that site is gone as the domain got blown out after Othello quit

I am positive it was Big O and Dukes - I mean they are plenty of examples of only one person getting fired from a show and not the whole show.

Plus - remember only Drab was fired when the incident with Lavar happened even though that was a conversation Facebook messenger conversation between him and Chad

I remember being at a party talking to a friend about football, and someone brought up the Junkies.  My friend shook his head and said, "that whole radio station makes me feel like they just yell, "N****r n****r n***r," as soon as the mics are turned off."  The funny part is that everyone in the conversation kind of just nodded like it wasn't out of the question.  The worst part is this isn't an isolated thing.  For the most part almost all mainstream sports radio makes me feel that way.  The fact that a metro area as diverse as the Washington DC metro area seems to only have white voices representing the local sports fan is a problem...and it's true for just about every city in the country.  

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

True.  I guess I just find it odd since Drab's the producer of that podcast so one could say he was fine with the content of the podcast.  Unless it was one of the shows he wasn't there for.

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I remember being at a party talking to a friend about football, and someone brought up the Junkies.  My friend shook his head and said, "that whole radio station makes me feel like they just yell, "N****r n****r n***r," as soon as the mics are turned off."  The funny part is that everyone in the conversation kind of just nodded like it wasn't out of the question.  The worst part is this isn't an isolated thing.  For the most part almost all mainstream sports radio makes me feel that way.  The fact that a metro area as diverse as the Washington DC metro area seems to only have white voices representing the local sports fan is a problem...and it's true for just about every city in the country.  

Since the pandemic I've long thought that something's been different about Bickel and whether or not his true nature and/or being an alt-righter is finally coming out to the front.

I personally think that he found out that being a COVID denier will give you a ton of attention.  And Bickel loves being the center of attention.   As far the idea that the Junkies are just these alt-right guys maybe you can argue that with Jason and Bickel but JP is not that kind of guy and Cakes doesn't care enough about anything not sports or poker to be one in my opinion.

My biggest problem is that they hired them because of the things that people are mad about.  Granted 106.7 was a comedy hot talk station originally and when the staff went to sports only most of them hated it.    If people found the archives of the Junkies pre sports they would have been fired a decade ago.   Deep down Dukes probably is glad to be fired because unless it was the Skins he didn't give a fuck about most sports except just casually watching

8 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

Since the pandemic I've long thought that something's been different about Bickel and whether or not his true nature and/or being an alt-righter is finally coming out to the front.

I think the entire issue is that the entire industry is based on white dudes who don't really talk to any black people getting on a microphone and talking about black people.  

• Like 3

Just now, supremebve said:

I think the entire issue is that the entire industry is based on white dudes who don't really talk to any black people getting on a microphone and talking about black people.  

Specifically about the Fan, they have one black person talking about black people (whose name I am terribly spacing on at the moment) and of course he has death shifts over the weekend

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Specifically about the Fan, they have one black person talking about black people (whose name I am terribly spacing on at the moment) and of course he has death shifts over the weekend

Yeah, at least the other station has former players Doc Walker and Brian Mitchell, but I'm pretty sure Grant Paulson is the only person on 106.7 the Fan who has spoke to a black person in a friendly manner.  I only know that because I had a class with him in college and saw it with my own two eyes (I only had positive interactions with him).  I have over an hour commute each way, and haven't listened to local sports radio in years.  It doesn't hurt that Albert Haynesworth and Jim Zorn are gone*, but it has become a echo chamber of terrible opinions.  

*I'll go to my grave believing that Albert Haynesworth and Jim Zorn are the best things that have ever happened to the football team as far as fan engagement goes.  Those two dudes were so epically terrible that everyone came together to root against them.  The opposite is true for RGIII, no one tore the fanbase apart quicker and more toxically than RGIII. 

What's ironic regarding Chad Dukes is that I know former players like Santana Moss and Domonique Foxworth love him

Heck - Foxworth has known Chad since the second his (Chad's) career started and there is a famous (at least for BOAD listeners) story about Foxworth basically helping Chad on the day Chad was at his lowest.

I have only had positive interactions with JP and Cakes. (In one of those weird things - I am actually in the acknowledgements of JP's book. God I have been in this town a really long time.)

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

What's ironic regarding Chad Dukes is that I know former players like Santana Moss and Domonique Foxworth love him

Heck - Foxworth has known Chad since the second his (Chad's) career started and there is a famous (at least for BOAD listeners) story about Foxworth basically helping Chad on the day Chad was at his lowest.

I have only had positive interactions with JP and Cakes. (In one of those weird things - I am actually in the acknowledgements of JP's book. God I have been in this town a really long time.)

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a cousin about another cousin's white wife.  The cousin without the white wife swears that the white wife is racist, despite the fact that she has never done anything remotely racist around anyone in the family.  His argument is basically, "she likes us, but hates black people." Then she sent me a Facebook friend request and I'm not saying she's racist, but I now understand where my cousin was coming from.  I say that to say this, almost every black person has a white friend who even they think is a little racist.  Having a couple black people who fuck with you is not enough to prove you are not racist.  You can marry into a black family, and not prove that you are not racist.  The only real way not to be perceived as racist is to not do anything that people perceive as racist.  

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

The fact that a metro area as diverse as the Washington DC metro area seems to only have white voices representing the local sports fan is a problem...and it's true for just about every city in the country.  

I know back in the day, Detroit had some black voices in sports radio, like Rob Parker.  You definitely have a point though - the voices don't come close to looking like the dudes playing.

While nobody knows for certain the exact thing that got him fired, there are audio from last night show which people are using as exhibit A.  Basically it is the same argument he has made forever that white people can't have a conversation about black people and there issue about black on black crime and "the family structure" without everyone calling white people racists.  Basically the same shit he has said for years and probably on air many many times.    He used some phrase like "people with bad skin tone"  that I have no idea what is talking about

Again it is the kind of stuff that got him hired in the first place.

Well it was definitely a BOAD thing because they took the entire website down (though interestingly - their Twitter account is still up and with all its posts)

It had to have been on Reloaded because I hadn't listened to that yet but I listened to the free show and there was nothing there

The description of Reloaded was "Election Day can't get here soon enough!" and earlier this week Chad posted on Facebook something like "I wonder if Facebook would keep pestering me about voting if they knew who I was voting for"

So putting two and two together  - if it was from this week - the conversation started with the Election and spun off from there

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

While nobody knows for certain the exact thing that got him fired, there are audio from last night show which people are using as exhibit A.  Basically it is the same argument he has made forever that white people can't have a conversation about black people and there issue about black on black crime and "the family structure" without everyone calling white people racists.  Basically the same shit he has said for years and probably on air many many times.    He used some phrase like "people with bad skin tone"  that I have no idea what is talking about

Again it is the kind of stuff that got him hired in the first place.

I has to be more than this.  Other than the "people with bad skin tone," none of that other stuff is going to get you fired.  There are lines you can't cross, but you can get away with black on black crime and family structure talk.  

Just for clarity - the remarks that Hammer mentioned were made in mid-Sept.

Here is one story https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/entercom-fires-longtime-washington-d-c-radio-host-chad-dukes-for-racist-and-inappropriate-comments.html

(Side note - AA thinks the 'Bad skin tone" line - even if he misspoke - is a fireable offense")

But unsurprisingly - people pulling quotes off of all old shows explains why the took down the whole website.

But to supreme's point - IF that was the specific quote from mid-Sept that did it (which again is one random Twitter dude) - it had to be more a culmination of things than that specific line because Chad has said WAY worse

And again - if Entercom was making money at the moment - I believe Dukes isn't getting fired.

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But to supreme's point - IF that was the specific quote from mid-Sept that did it (which again is one random Twitter dude) - it had to be more a culmination of things than that specific line because Chad has said WAY worse

It isn't even a case of what is better or worse, as much as it's an accepted part of the lexicon at this point.  It is like one of those jingles that has a crazy racist background.

The Craig Carton thing really disgusts me for a simple reason: He is going to no doubt spend a lot of time on air talking about gambling (even if he didn't want to he'd be forced to as it's clear that's FAN's new target audience) and doing ads for sports books. It would be like hiring a guy who killed someone in a DUI accident and having him talk about and do ads for beer. 

16 hours ago, Infinit said:

Is there such a dearth in on air talent in New York or America in general that Craig Carton got an on air job in America's biggest media market right after he got out of jail? 

If you need to blame people for this, I would blame the radio stations for taking basically their main form of training for easier and probably cheaper "national programming".  Almost all of the people in radio especially sports worth a damn got their feet wet working late nights.  Most of the time really late.  Once they got a buzz and experience they were moved to better time slots. 

Now instead we just get generic ESPN or Fox Sports programing.  I am assuming that is happening in NY as well like in DC

On 10/31/2020 at 6:20 PM, Infinit said:

Is there such a dearth in on air talent in New York or America in general that Craig Carton got an on air job in America's biggest media market right after he got out of jail? 

I disagree,  there is plenty of talent,  they would rather hire the familiar than give someone new and potentially better a chance. Even if it wasn't Craig Carton, they'd probably hire someone who made them think of Craig Carton. The entire industry is trying to find the next fill in the blank instead of hiring talented people.