DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If you wanna bring one of these black barbershop points on air, you better know how to fucking explain it. For as loud and somewhat intelligible as Shannon Sharpe can be, he can seamlessly do it because his energy is that of a black Baptist preacher. As much as I fucking loathe Barkley, he can do it from time to time because he's use to trash talking motherfuckers. Some guys just have it, and some don't. For the hell Parker gave RGIII, Parker comes as trying to fit in as much if not worse as RGIII.

Shannon Sharpe isn't unintelligible as much as he's just so country in a way that no one gets to be on television.  I've never actually had a hard time understanding his diction or the meaning behind what he's saying, but it kind of feels wrong because no one else gets to do that.  Shannon Sharpe should be a bigger media star, but Shannon isn't changing for anyone.

Barkley on the other hand is a huge media star, and he's so problematic when it comes to racial issues.  Charles Barkley is probably my favorite basketball player of all time, but his opinions seem to exist only to be the black dude problematic white people can reference in racial discussions.  With that said, I don't think he's someone anyone would call fake.  I was talking to someone about black conservatives one day and the person I was talking to said something to the effect of, "don't discount the opinions of black conservatives as being against black people."  I looked at him questionably and he asked who I thought the most famous black conservative was, and I think I said, Ben Carson.  He said, "The most famous black conservative is Louis Farrakhan, except no one would ever call him a conservative." (honestly, not only is Farrakhan the most conservative black person in the country, his political ideas are probably further to the right than any white person in the country...he just happens to be black.) There's a lot of things you can say about Farrakhan, but you can't say he doesn't like black people.  I think Charles Barkley is in the position where he's black, likes black people, but is also super conservative in his worldview.  I don't know if there is anything that is more polarizing than a black conservative...except I don't think he'd actually claim to be conservative.

RGIII is the dude everyone makes fun of, except he's also the due who doesn't give a fuck what you think.  For his entire life until he hurt his knee, he could carry it like that because his talent was so overwhelming.  When he couldn't perform at that level any more, he just became the dude who nobody really liked.  I only know one thing about RGIII's worldview and I learned it during this last round of collective bargaining.  He was extremely vocal on twitter about labor issues and how the players needed to be prepared to hold out and fight for what they deserved.  He's a really interesting person, because there is a lot of opinions about him, but there is not much we actually know about him.  If I was to guess, RGIII is someone who doesn't really have a definitive worldview, he's just the kind of person who kind of believes whatever he believes without actually giving a fuck about what anyone else thinks.  It's what made him beloved when he was good, and hated when he wasn't.

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Shannon Sharpe isn't unintelligible as much as he's just so country in a way that no one gets to be on television.  I've never actually had a hard time understanding his diction or the meaning behind what he's saying, but it kind of feels wrong because no one else gets to do that.  Shannon Sharpe should be a bigger media star, but Shannon isn't changing for anyone.

Barkley on the other hand is a huge media star, and he's so problematic when it comes to racial issues.  Charles Barkley is probably my favorite basketball player of all time, but his opinions seem to exist only to be the black dude problematic white people can reference in racial discussions.  With that said, I don't think he's someone anyone would call fake.  I was talking to someone about black conservatives one day and the person I was talking to said something to the effect of, "don't discount the opinions of black conservatives as being against black people."  I looked at him questionably and he asked who I thought the most famous black conservative was, and I think I said, Ben Carson.  He said, "The most famous black conservative is Louis Farrakhan, except no one would ever call him a conservative." (honestly, not only is Farrakhan the most conservative black person in the country, his political ideas are probably further to the right than any white person in the country...he just happens to be black.) There's a lot of things you can say about Farrakhan, but you can't say he doesn't like black people.  I think Charles Barkley is in the position where he's black, likes black people, but is also super conservative in his worldview.  I don't know if there is anything that is more polarizing than a black conservative...except I don't think he'd actually claim to be conservative.

RGIII is the dude everyone makes fun of, except he's also the due who doesn't give a fuck what you think.  For his entire life until he hurt his knee, he could carry it like that because his talent was so overwhelming.  When he couldn't perform at that level any more, he just became the dude who nobody really liked.  I only know one thing about RGIII's worldview and I learned it during this last round of collective bargaining.  He was extremely vocal on twitter about labor issues and how the players needed to be prepared to hold out and fight for what they deserved.  He's a really interesting person, because there is a lot of opinions about him, but there is not much we actually know about him.  If I was to guess, RGIII is someone who doesn't really have a definitive worldview, he's just the kind of person who kind of believes whatever he believes without actually giving a fuck about what anyone else thinks.  It's what made him beloved when he was good, and hated when he wasn't.

A lot of this is the decadent veil of black celebrity. Even the most well meaning dude like Shannon...I mean he's still talking about his shoe collection in the middle of a pandemic. We have to realize part of the job is to market stuff and to push things directly or indirectly as food for the soul that shouldn't be.

We allowed Barkley in this space because he was a great player, and he provided funny analysis. Problem is that doesn't mean he's always going to use that platform for good. Despite all of his missteps, he's figure out how to somewhat reel inside himself back in. However, the curtain has been lifted. He has revealed himself to what people thought he was. I look up week or so ago, and here this dude is (on some online Zoom panel (with a bunch of other black celebs) talking about how black people have poor diets and how black people aren't taking COVID-19 serious. This is us as black people paying for allowing Charles to be in this space along with a bunch of celebs. On another virtual panel, I'm watching T.I. and Charlemagne the God among others not discuss policy and just give empty platitudes about change and lifting up black people. Someone called in to criticize that and steer in a direction that would be more beneficial. Guess what happened? Yep, the person got ridiculed because someone interrupted the self-righteous, black pat yourself on the back session that means absolutely nothing.

As for Farrakhan, his whole thing going back to when he wrestled away the NOI away from Elijah Muhammad's son and the other splinter groups after Elijah died is his ability to leverage flexibility despite some really hardcore beliefs. How does someone like that (far to the right) gain that big of a following with a group of people (inner city, poverty stricken African-Americans) that by then were firmly Democratic? Easy...he based his version of the NOI in interfaith principles (outside of the black community, YMMV as you know) and used his immense speaking abilities to build some type of structure. If he was just some dude from off the corner, that would fail miserably. The problem is now after catching so much flack (right or wrong) for so many years and being advanced in age (thus losing a lot of his speaking ability which makes it tougher to connect w/ younger people) is even he as someone who is suppose to be super disciplined falls prey to the decadent veil. Whether it be doing stuff with an Alex Jones, the second Million Man March, or trying to sell a documentary to Netflix about his musical skills and his upbringing of being a classically trained musician, it's eye opening for me that even some of his stuff is see through. I'm not saying he cannot or shouldn't make money in the twilight of his life, but once you put a price on something you'll put a price on anything.

Shannon Sharpe peaked hunting aliens on American Dad, anyway. Don't eat his Spaghetti.

Edited by Ryan

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

Shannon Sharpe peaked hunting aliens on American Dad, anyway. Don't eat his Spaghetti.

Shannon Sharpe is probably the #1 sportscaster I'd chose to defend the world against aliens.  If there was a sportscaster battle royal, he'd have to be the favorite, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I froze my account when i stopped working. 

I would imagine the $x.99 a month might be a luxury to many people. 

I meant to, but I accidentally let it roll over and a month had passed before I noticed. I pretty much only read Posnanski and Sean McIndoe. I got a $2 a month deal on my subscription last year, so one year at full price seems fair.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Curious if ESPN ever considered doing a 30-for-30 or some kind of doc on Phyllis George, given her role as one of the first prominent female sports broadcasters (pre-ESPN, the only women I remember serving in such prominent roles were George, Jayne Kennedy and Gayle Gardner). After watching the Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder doc, the idea of a similar film with George popped in my head. 

Following the success of The Last Dance, ESPN is commissioning a similar documentary about Tom Brady, which makes me think they don't actually understand why people watched the Last Dance.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

You know @Zimbra... it's okay you've got me on ignore and all, but I literally made the same joke in the 30 for 30 thread. ? 

The board won't let you ignore admins.  Lord knows that I've tried.

(Love you, Dolfan)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SI's Chris Dufresne died today at the age of 62. 

Take about 5 minutes to read the last thing he published. You'll be as furious as I am: https://www.si.com/college/tmg/chris-dufresne/covid-19

Take this seriously.  Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

• Sad 1

I heard Victoria Arlen on a podcast today and got me to wondering ...

Has there even been a Sportscenter anchor that was disabled and did the show in a wheelchair? 

I couldnt think of any, but I also havent watched SC regularly in decades. 

I feel like we've let Whitlock's terrible politics distract us from the fact that his sports opinions are also absolutely dogshit.

Anyway,  interesting timing on this one and I'm real curious to see what leaks in the coming days.

Pretty much what Zim said.  Because can you imagine what a toxic asshole you have to be for FS - an organization starving for ANYONE with a recognizable name - to show you the door? 

I'll start the betting at "Wouldn't shut up about Q Anon", with a side helping of sexual harassment.

• Like 1