DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I do really love it when old school announcers are extremely clutching their pearls when someone states what everyone actually knows.  

In today's edition, Bob Ryan roundaboutly tells Mad Dog Russo that, of course Jordan left basketball as part of a shadow suspension for gambling:

--

Also, Mike Francesa starts his new show on radio.com (lol) on Monday.  He'll talk about sports and politics(!!!).  

This thread will be nothing but pages of his breathtakingly horrible takes by Tuesday afternoon

On 1/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, odessasteps said:

I didn’t realize that 

a. Barnwell was now writing for the Four Letter.

b. He was (also?) now writing about soccer.

Barnwell has been writing for ESPN for like a decade now and every once in a blue moon he gets to write a soccer column

I am assuming since 99% of his columns are about football, you never saw them

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:45 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, Mike Francesa starts his new show on radio.com (lol) on Monday.  He'll talk about sports and politics(!!!).  

This thread will be nothing but pages of his breathtakingly horrible takes by Tuesday afternoon

You assume anyone will actually listen to Francesa.

Unless of course you mean us reposting other people posting about his horrible takes via Twitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keith Law is moving from ESPN to The Athletic

His ESPN contract expired at the end of the year and he made the jump because apparently now he can write about baseball labor issues

• Like 1

The Deadspin saga continues.  

G/O Media is moving Deadspin to Chicago, suspending all negotiations with the union, calling their mass resignations an illegal strike, and promising to re-launch it with new, better talent.  

I'm genuinely astonished by Spanfeller's awe-inspiring stupidity. When you can make fucking Dave Portnoy look smart and good in comparison...   Jeez. 

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The Deadspin saga continues.  

G/O Media is moving Deadspin to Chicago, suspending all negotiations with the union, calling their mass resignations an illegal strike, and promising to re-launch it with new, better talent.  

I'm genuinely astonished by Spanfeller's awe-inspiring stupidity. When you can make fucking Dave Portnoy look smart and good in comparison...   Jeez. 

Why would anyone work for them at this point?  

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

What is left of Deadspin to move anyway? Can you truly move empty husks of zombie sites that have no goodwill remaining?

Bwahahahahaha

------

The Washington Post has an article up about The Ringer possible sale, but the hilarious thing is it's headed by a photo of Simmons in front of a WWE banner for some reason.

Dan LeBatard released a podcast with Jayson Williams.  In this podcast there are two very good Charles Oakley stories.  The first is that Jayson Williams decided he was going to drink himself to death and Curtis Martin and Charles Oakley showed up and Curtis Martin asked him, "What would Jesus do?" and Charles Oakley had a baseball bat and asked, "What will this Louisville Slugger do?"  Jayson Williams miraculously decided to go to rehab.  The second is about a day out with Dr. J, and you need to go listen.  If I had to choose one athlete to write a tell-all book, Charles Oakley would be my #1 choice.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I feel like Charles Oakley writing about what it was like being a teammate of Anthony Mason's would be an entire book on its own

The Dr. J. story is amazing.  It is the last thing you would ever expect from a story involving Dr. J., except it also involves Charles Oakley and it is kind of everything you would expect.  I really want to know who Charles Oakley's favorite basketball player was as a child, because it was clearly not Dr. J. 

Edited by supremebve

On 1/22/2020 at 3:25 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Bwahahahahaha

------

The Washington Post has an article up about The Ringer possible sale, but the hilarious thing is it's headed by a photo of Simmons in front of a WWE banner for some reason.