DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I'm pretty indifferent to Buck as well, Aikman is the terrible one in the booth. I'd take Buck over a lot of the other announcers, especially Nance and Tessitore (so glad he's off MNF, he pretty much made it unwatchable to me the last few years).

• Like 1

I think Buck is a fine football PBP guy and better than most of the other football PBP guys (like, why the hell is FOX still using 77 year old Dick Stockton?!?!?).  He's clearly behind Michaels and Nantz, though, when you compare the top guy on each network.

I can't stand him on baseball though.

21 hours ago, supremebve said:

Am I the only one who has no issue with Joe Buck?  He's just another play by play guy to me.  There is nothing he's ever done to excite me, nor offend me, he's literally just another voice during a game.  At a certain point, that's kind of the job.  

You're not the only one.  I've never had an issue with him.  Not one of my favorites, but he's fine.  

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

So apparently this is the month where all the male sports media on the bench waiting for minutes complain about women in the starting lineup.  And they all work at the same places 

The worst part is they wonder why no one wants to hire them? A professional woman who is never going to embarrass you in public or the unprofessional dude who's one tweet away from a lawsuit... who would you hire? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Won't mean a hell of a lot to a lot of folks here, but Sid Hartman passed away on Sunday at the age of 100.

Had his first byline published in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in 1945 and had a byline published in the Star-Tribune on the day he died. Never retired.

Took time while he was writing for the Star-Tribune to serve as the GM of the Minneapolis Lakers and won five NBA titles in six years. Also drafted Harry "Bud" Grant while he was the Lakers' GM. Grant played two professional sports (NBA and NFL) and won a bunch of Grey Cups with Winnipeg before becoming the head coach of the Vikings.

RIP, Sid.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Won't mean a hell of a lot to a lot of folks here, but Sid Hartman passed away on Sunday at the age of 100.

Had his first byline published in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in 1945 and had a byline published in the Star-Tribune on the day he died. Never retired.

Took time while he was writing for the Star-Tribune to serve as the GM of the Minneapolis Lakers and won five NBA titles in six years. Also drafted Harry "Bud" Grant while he was the Lakers' GM. Grant played two professional sports (NBA and NFL) and won a bunch of Grey Cups with Winnipeg before becoming the head coach of the Vikings.

RIP, Sid.

Sounds like he lived a remarkable life. Thanks for sharing!

RIP ? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Of course he is.

Is Evan so in need of a partner that he's willing to put up with Carton's shit?  Or does FAN just want someone with worse takes than Francesa?

I can understand how stations would hire Carton after the HBO special and because well he was popular in the typical douchey sports talk way.   But I have no idea how you are going to do a show like you did before without basically getting back into the whole gambling web that got in trouble to begin with

20 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I can understand how stations would hire Carton after the HBO special and because well he was popular in the typical douchey sports talk way.   But I have no idea how you are going to do a show like you did before without basically getting back into the whole gambling web that got in trouble to begin with

Based on the sports talk I've listened to over the years, I'd be absolutely SHOCKED if being a degenerate gambler would get you blackballed from this particular industry.  Being a degenerate is closer to the rule than the exception.  If we really dug into some of the gambling practices of a lot of people in the sports talk industry, Carton probably isn't that much of an outlier.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 12:38 PM, Infinit said:

They didn't try to reunite him with Boomer?? 

Boomer was REAL fucking bitter about the whole thing and basically moved on.  

And he has no intention of splitting up his current show.

Edited by Raziel
  • Thanks 1

So apparently Chad Dukes has been fired from 106.7 because of his comments on his own podcast that they apparently were racist and offensive.   Whatever you think about Dukes he is consistent.  Not knowing what he actually said I am going to guess that the comments he made last night was the same comments he made 10 or so years ago that got him the damn job.  

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So apparently Chad Dukes has been fired from 106.7 because of his comments on his own podcast that they apparently were racist and offensive.   Whatever you think about Dukes he is consistent.  Not knowing what he actually said I am going to guess that the comments he made last night was the same comments he made 10 or so years ago that got him the damn job.  

It doesn't seem to be anything new - it just seems to be Entercom either finally being made aware of or deciding to now care because they are hemorrhaging money

I mean Chad himself has said over the years it was only a matter of time and they were constantly editing old podcasts to remove stuff that doesn't fly today

He semi-seriously has begged Barstool on more than one occasion to not "end his career" by finding old tweets or comments

It does explain why he wasn't on the air yesterday

EDIT - I just looked and Chad purged his entire Twitter account. The account is still there but it has no tweets so yeah I would say its the past finally catching up to him