DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Looks like NBC is laying off a bunch of people across the country.

I first started noticing it as some of the local NBC Sports Washington folks got fired.

But then I just saw this 

PFT - not surprisingly - seems untouched as Calc notes in the replies that Florio gets like three times the hits as anyone else gets

• 2 weeks later...

Deion Sanders has left NFL Network.  His contract had expired and he chose not to re-sign.  

Judging from his recent Coronavirus statements, this is probably for the best. 

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Saw something come across my timeline and then went to go see what it was about. Not good:

This is kind of the problem with one person owning multiple sports teams in the same city.  Ted Leonsis is probably hemorrhaging money in a way that most people can't even fathom.  From what I can tell, pretty much all of his income comes from owning multiple sports franchises and the Capital One Arena, and they haven't sold a single ticket in months.

• Like 1

The Charlotte Hornets suspended radio broadcaster John Focke indefinitely after he used a racial slur in a tweet about Monday's playoff game between the Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz.

Focke used the N-word instead of Nuggets in the tweet, which was later deleted. He apologized in a later tweet.

"Earlier today I made a horrific error while attempting to tweet about the Denver-Utah game. I don't know how I mistyped, I had (and have) no intention of ever using that word. I take full responsibility for my actions. I have been sick to my stomach about it ever since. I'm truly sorry that this happened and I apologize to those I offended," he wrote.

The Hornets said they are investigating the matter further.

"The Hornets are aware of the social media post by radio broadcaster John Focke,'' the team statement read. "As an organization we do not condone this type of language.''

I mean that is one hell of an auto-correct

It is really really hard to believe but at least the I is next to the U and the T is next to the R so that checks out

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I mean that is one hell of an auto-correct

It is really really hard to believe but at least the I is next to the U and the T is next to the R so that checks out

As a black man who may or may not use a derivative of that word in my texts a lot, I know for a fact that he's lying.  Autocorrect fucks my texts up all the time, but I've NEVER had my phone autocorrect to that word.  Seriously, that word needs to be added to your phone's dictionary, it isn't something you can accidentally type.

• Like 1

Just for clarity - he says it was a typo. I said autocorrect.

It is bad enough to say typo but yeah if someone tries to say autocorrect - that actually makes is sound worse

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

As a black man who may or may not use a derivative of that word in my texts a lot, I know for a fact that he's lying.  Autocorrect fucks my texts up all the time, but I've NEVER had my phone autocorrect to that word.  Seriously, that word needs to be added to your phone's dictionary, it isn't something you can accidentally type.

Yeah, pretty sure most autocorrect dictionaries don't include that word by default.  Even my wife's old phone - which would translate innocuous spoken words into f-bombs when doing voice to text - didn't do that.

But...Google Chrome has that word as part of its dictionary by default (it doesn't highlight as a misspelling and I sure as heck haven't added it).

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Just for clarity - he says it was a typo. I said autocorrect.

It is bad enough to say typo but yeah if someone tries to say autocorrect - that actually makes is sound worse

On my phone at least, you have to add it to your dictionary for it to not autocorrect to something else.  My phone autocorrects the 'er version to bigger when I intentionally type it, if it showed up in his tweets it is because he used it and added it to his phone's dictionary.

I fully believe he did not mean to tweet it. He would have to be an idiot of epic proportions to do that.

But, yeah, the only way that accidentally comes up without being outcorrected on a phone is if he's added it to his dictionary or used it often enough it auto-added.

I suppose the typo argument holds a tiny bit of water if he did it off a computer, but color me very skeptical.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I mean, the better solution whether than knowing your mic is hot is not to be a bigot, but what do I know.

So I'm scrolling through Twitter while I watch the DNC and Olbermann posted the apology.  I watched and thought to myself, oh wtf is this.  Whatever he did couldn't have been worthy of this Owen Hart voice apology.  

Then I saw the video and was like... OH.   YUP.  You're fucking *fired* dude.  

Can't help but think he uses that word all the time, and a gay producer was like "lol let's end your career" and flipped the switch a little early.