DVDVR Message Board

2020 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

It looks like Vox Media is doing a big round of layoffs because a bunch of SBNation folks have been announcing on Twitter that today is their last day

And the sham that is now SI is basically trying to force everyone to take pay cuts

This is from the NY Post article about both

The economic impact of COVID-19 continues to affect both new and legacy media.

Management at The Athletic told its staff on Friday that it would reduce its staff by eight percent and implement salary reductions, The Post confirmed.

Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated executives told its staff that all non-union employees would be required to take a 15-percent pay cut through the end of the year and parent company, Maven, would negotiate with SI’s union about the percentage of cuts its members would endure, The Post has learned.

As for The Athletic, the four-year-old sports subscription startup, has greatly expanded as it grows, but, like other media outlets, it is now adjusting because of the economic impact of the shutdown of most sports during COVID-19.

Axios first reported the news. It said that 46 people would be let go. A source told The Post that the audio department would be impacted as a result of podcast advertising being down. One of its original big hires, Armen Keteyian had already left months ago.

Sources told The Post that those making $55,000 to $150,000 would receive a 10 percent decrease, while $150,000-199,999 would take a 15 percent cut. Those with salaries more than $200,000 would take a 20 percent cut. The cuts are through the end of this year.

A spokeswoman confirmed the news of the layoffs and the salary reductions.

As sports media is dropping talent left and right, Rogers announced that they signed Chris Cuthbert, for whenever hockey is back. Which is a great pickup, Cuthbert has been consistently great in all sports he's announced over the years.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And the sham that is now SI is basically trying to force everyone to take pay cuts

This is from the NY Post article about both

Fuck SI now and forever.  My aunt (a failed model who succeeded in a second career of marrying rich guys) was married to the chairman of the board of Time-Life back in the 80s and 90s.  Remember those awful commercials hawking SI subscriptions back then?  The ones where they'd be hyping some awful giveaway that came with the subscription ("it's a shoe, it's a phone.  holy shit, it's a shoe phone!).  Well, guess what I got for Christmas/birthday every year.  

• Haha 4

The Lord of the Flies thing is dumb as fuck on its own. However, you would have me believe that if someone (a public figure mind you) acts an ass in public that the offense should be handled privately? Uh, what? Not gonna happen, chief.

• Like 1

I think it's reasonable to think that your teammates - who have actually known you for years (in some cases) - would reach out to you privately.  That's not what happened, and at least some Brees' teammates didn't give him the benefit of the doubt before speaking out publicly, so maybe there's a bigger problem in the locker room that it seems?

I'm not a public figure, so maybe it's just too different a situation, but it would never occur to me to rip someone I know personally on Twitter without making an effort to talk to them first.  

15 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I think it's reasonable to think that your teammates - who have actually known you for years (in some cases) - would reach out to you privately.  That's not what happened, and at least some Brees' teammates didn't give him the benefit of the doubt before speaking out publicly, so maybe there's a bigger problem in the locker room that it seems?

I'm not a public figure, so maybe it's just too different a situation, but it would never occur to me to rip someone I know personally on Twitter without making an effort to talk to them first.  

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Why would Brees get the benefit of the doubt when he's been saying the same shit for years?

Bingo. Plus, it's a situation that's too big to avoid and one that's going to stir up a ton of heated emotion. If it's a tweet where someone says something in passing about someone's effort on the field...yes, that might get handled in private. When it's something as polarizing as this, you go as far as doubling down on it, and share the locker room with a large majority of people who likely won't share that same sentiment, yeah, you're asking for trouble. Big trouble. Moreover, you did it in a public space whether you know it or not. You did it in public. It's going to get handled in public. That's how these things go.

• Like 1

If Breeze has been "saying the same shit for years", I missed that.  Yeah, that's different.  

I don't pay much attention to what players do or say off the field.  Not really that interested.  And expecting guys to live up to your expectations on Twitter is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

And another thing...there is the whole issue of accountability. Unfortunately, when it comes to almost anything that intersects with race in America (especially w/African-Americans), a large part of that accountability gets lost when there are no deliverables to speak of. A guy like Drew Brees can hide behind empty platitudes/symbolic gestures (I believe he did the social blackout thing right before this) or "we can agree to disagree". The former is even more hurtful and detrimental because it requires little to no effort. When they put that heat on you, you can't hide anymore. 

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And another thing...there is the whole issue of accountability. Unfortunately, when it comes to almost anything that intersects with race in America (especially w/African-Americans), a large part of that accountability gets lost when there are no deliverables to speak of. A guy like Drew Brees can hide behind empty platitudes/symbolic gestures (I believe he did the social blackout thing right before this) or "we can agree to disagree". The former is even more hurtful and detrimental because it requires little to no effort. When they put that heat on you, you can't hide anymore. 

The biggest issue with this, and the statement that John Elway put out is that it is clear that they have never even considered what any of their teammates thought about any racial matter for their entire lives.  John Elway, who got drafted in 198 damn 3, put out a statement saying that this is the first time he's actually had these conversations.  

At least they didn't kneel in kente cloth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If Jerry Jones gets some Congressional Black Caucus members out there on the 50 yard line and dresses up like he just walked out of an Arrested Development music video, I'm not coming back to football until 2023.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Simmons could have been correct if it wasn't for the fact that he has at least 3 of his family members working.   I mean the Ringer might not be "open mic night" but it is definitely a house of nepotism 

Edited by hammerva

18 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

This is exactly how institutional racism works.  There are plenty of talented black people who never get a chance because the white establishment gives jobs to their kids and their nephews and act offended when someone asks, why don't you share your platform with the occasional black person.

• Like 1

This is making me laugh and laugh and laugh

As others have already pointed out, Simmons gave his daughter a podcast, hired his nephew (who subsequently recorded a diss track complaining about The Ringer's employees daring to unionize), and has generally followed the Kimmel/Sandler model of hiring staff like he's inviting friends and relatives over for a cookout. 

• Haha 1

ESPN hired Keyshawn Johnson to host a morning radio show with Trey Wingo.  Show could begin as early as August.  Nothing definite has been said about Mike Golic (whose contract is up at the end of the year), but speculation is the network won't renew his contract and he'll be a free agent for the first time in 20 years.

ESPN Radio seems to be on the verge of a major makeover.  They've got an afternoon slot open since Will Cain defected to Fox.  And there are rumors that both Mike Greenberg and Jalen Rose are headed to radio (separately), so I assume Get Up is about done for on the tv side.

I still like Golic and Greenie (more Golic).  It's going to be odd to hear them on separate radio shows.  I actually kinda liked Wingo and Golic until the pandemic hit.  I quit listening to sports radio in March, but I know people who think the show (broadcast from Golic's basement instead of an ESPN studio) has become unlistenable.  Though that probably applies to most sports radio talk shows in the era of no sports.